Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Windscreen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Tedman5
Hello all, I'm looking for a new windscreen for my 70. Mine is original glass and is so pitted after 44 years that I can't see clearly when driving in sunny conditions.
I'm looking for one regionally that I could inspect and pick up. Possibly PA, MD, VA?
Any leads on clean piece?
Thanks.
mepstein
there is a vendor that was selling new for very reasonable prices if you can pick up. seemed to have locations all over the country. Search a bit on this forum or wait for someone to post a link.
Cuda911
The windscreens are apparently easily obtainable from any automotive glass shop.

I replaced the windscreen on my '74 last year at a local auto glass shop. It was about $250 including the install. Very pleased.

As a side note: I got an aftermarket one. There was another guy at the same shop with a 914 who insisted on an OEM one. It cost about $800, took over a month to show up, and didn't fit properly.
Tedman5
Thanks Gint! I sent him a PM.
Cuda, I called a shop here in PA and they called around and said couldn't find any. ???
Maybe there's more on your side of the world!
Cuda911
QUOTE(Tedman5 @ Jan 18 2015, 10:53 AM) *

Thanks Gint! I sent him a PM.
Cuda, I called a shop here in PA and they called around and said couldn't find any. ???
Maybe there's more on your side of the world!

Maybe so. When I tried looking online, I had a hard time finding the glass, and shipping charges were killer.

So, I was shocked when I called the shop, and he said he could do a same-day install, with whatever glass I wanted (clear, clear with tint stripe at top, or uniformly tinted throughout).

Mikey914
I do have a glass polishing kit that may work

http://shop.914rubber.com/Scratch-Magic-Pl...m?categoryId=-1

I'll send you one if you pay shipping, you just need to promise to post results. It may save you some cash compared to replacing. My windshield wasn't bad enough to really make a noticeable difference, but wroth a shot if you're up for it.
Mark
mepstein
the glass shop local to me in Newark, DE quoted $225 installed.
They did a replacement in my Dodge Durango for $225 installed and it looks factory.
The Porsche dealership in Newark, DE quoted me $475 for just the glass but it includes shipping from Germany.
Cuda911
Mark, on Rennlist a few guys tried the various glass polishing products. The overall conclusion was a big thumbs down.

I'd be curious if anyone has achieved satisfactory results. Interesting to me that there isn't a cottage industry in this, similar to headlight lens polishing.
Mikey914
The results I'm sure vary on the pitting. I have used this to polish scratches out of glass on my railings, they were fairly deep, so if any product would work, it shoud be this one. The key is using the 1st step to really get the bulk of the damage out.
dangrouche
QUOTE(Tedman5 @ Jan 18 2015, 09:50 AM) *

Hello all, I'm looking for a new windscreen for my 70. Mine is original glass and is so pitted after 44 years that I can't see clearly when driving in sunny conditions.
I'm looking for one regionally that I could inspect and pick up. Possibly PA, MD, VA?
Any leads on clean piece?
Thanks.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...prosource+glass

go down to Jan 4 entry from Prosource, they have warehouses in PA and VA. You pay, you visit, inspect, then take it away. I collected mine in a hurry and they still made good and I had to return it, and they gave me a new one without any defects. This vendor has awesome customer service. I would buy it again in an instant. I did the install myself.
nickp997
I found a place www.pilkingtonclassics.com 800-848-1351. $265 for windscreen and $125 freight. But they only ship to a commercial address. I found a glass shop that would install for me so I purchased from Pilkington and shipped to the glass shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.