Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My attempt at a GT door
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
I have always loved the simplicity of the GT door system. With some help from Ron I have begun the assembly process. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow a riv nut installation tool from work. With one pull of the trigger the riv nut is installed and the tool then reverses it self to separate it from the door & new riv nut.
Click to view attachment
Harpo
First up is the two riv nuts for the handle. This handle is basically centered between the middle door trim attachment slot. The yellow door is a spare that I was practicing on.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Harpo
Because I had the riv nut tool and because I simply thought it looked cool I chose to use fasteners instead of the conventional plastic push pins. Next I needed to open up the existing opening 1/4 inch down & 1/4 inch forward.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Harpo
Although it dosen't look square it is. Here is the final product with the new leather strap. Please forgive me these photos are not in car position. They need to be rotated clockwise.
Click to view attachment
Harpo
The exposed on of the strap bolts to the nut in the middle of the door. The hidden end of the strap is bolted to the same hole that the linkage came out of on the door latch mechanism. Fortunately this photo worked better.
Click to view attachment
Harpo
Here is how I bolted the strap to the door latch mechanism. The holes in the strap are 18.75 inches apart (5mm holes). The straps them selves are .75 in wide and quite thick 3/16

Click to view attachment
Harpo
The functional part of the GT door handle system was very straight forward and quite simple IMO. However the cosmetic part of the conversion is a little more complicated or at least it is for me. Here are the bezels that go through the door trim panel for the door release pull strap. These are on there way to get power coated.

Click to view attachment
Harpo
save for further instructions
Harpo
Save for further instructions
Harpo
Here is my inspiration, Ron's GT door handle. Here is Ron's original thread to give credit where credit is due. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=GT+door
Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Saving this space for future comments on your project...
altitude411
Reserved in hopes of increasing re-sell value...
Rand
This post intentionally left blank.
Harpo
Thanks guys I appreciate the constructive criticism. dry.gif
Rand
Gotta expect this around here. Don't be offended. poke.gif It's all in fun. Seriously though, just post when you have something to post. confused24.gif wub.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 18 2015, 04:25 PM) *

The functional part of the GT door handle system was very straight forward and quite simple IMO. However the cosmetic part of the conversion is a little more complicated or at least it is for me. Here are the bezels that go through the door trim panel for the door release pull strap. These are on there way to get power coated.

Click to view attachment

THAT looks time consuming...

Looks good so far!
griffindoug
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 18 2015, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 18 2015, 04:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

THAT looks time consuming...

Looks good so far!

Great Work. I love the look and will be tackling this project myself. I need some clearer pictures of where to drill to get access to the screw hole in the latch assembly.

But I truly love the look. well done.
PS where did you get the bezels?
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 18 2015, 06:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That looks like my granite.. laugh.gif

nice job
JRust
Looks pretty good overall. I'm not a fan of the silver screws all the way around the outside. I would either make them black so they don't stand out. Or do the door panels with the snaps on the backside so you don't see them at all. All personal preference though. Nice work
MoveQik
Looking good! I went with GT-ish style. Here is a pic just showing other ideas. :-) No exposed screws and I left the pull handle off. I was going for a minimalist look.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.