Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center "Seat" Upholstery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
One of my winter projects is to re-upholster my center arm rest. Are our original seats leather, synthetic leather or vinyl?

Found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-PORSCHE-914-N...792&vxp=mtr

Any recommendations? Of course I'm on a budget, but willing to spend a few extra bucks if there is a big quality difference.

Thanks!

mepstein
original is vinyl. The one from ebay looks nice, especially if you already have a pad to replace.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-914-NEW-AR...=item20f0cf1eda
JmuRiz
Just vinyl, you could always DIY it if you found a close match at the fabric store...I did when I made a custom center panel (with speakers in it).
Tom_T
Black Leatherette (vinyl) is probably the easiest to find replacement material, individual & full interior kits.

I don't know this group & they may be just fine.

The price sounds too low for "real leather" - so maybe it's not, or a very thin mm skin of leather glued to a backer, which I see on stuff from China & other low cost mfgrs. etc. of "leather" items, which then wear out, tear, crack, delaminate, etc. in a very short time. I see that all the time on Wallymart, Okaymart, Tar-get, etc. shoes, clothes, belts & other crappy suedo-leather-goods!

Evil-bay vendors & returns can be a royal PITA too!

However, first I'd check price & availability online with the known quantities who've redone a boatload of 914s - including at: Lakewell in Belgium, Autos International in Fallbrook CA, & World Upholstery in Ojai CA (or somewhere up there by Ventura/Camarillo/S-Barbara).

If they have full sets, individual pre-fitted items &/or raw material which is a close match to your OE black, then you can maybe do a piece now, & others later as you can afford them - then they will probably match pretty good (but .... dye lots can vary, texture can vary in batches), & the first one will probably not only last until you get to the next part to restore - but also last for another 10-20+ years of real life car use & aging!

Just my HO! smile.gif
Tom
///////
saigon71
Update:

I ordered the synthetic one from Ebay a while ago. Just installed it today. Good fit, easy install & looks great. One word of caution if you buy one - check the orientation of the map pocket underneath...the first one they sent me was sewn in upside down, with the pocket opening toward the bottom, rendering it useless.

They sent me a new one as soon as I realized there was a problem. Aside from that, great product!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-PORSCHE-914-N...eda&vxp=mtr

The entire replacement process took about 30 minutes:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
turk22
Looks great!

I bought mine from another vendor (*cough AA cough*), and was disappointed with the seam quality. My wife fixed, by tearing it apart and re-sewing....

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Post in classifieds. Bet u can find a nice original at a reasonable price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.