Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things to do with Gurney wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarred
These are Gurney-like wheels, probably by Western. Bought the wheels and ran into the usual trouble of not being able to find the right lug nuts. So:

Option #1 you can get 14-12mm conversion lug studs then run the standard washer-ed lug nuts for 12 mm. This is about $40 in ebay parts.

Option #2 I machined holes to press in steel inserts for 14 mm 60 degree taper lug bolts.

Cosmetically either method works, one can maybe argue the 14 mm bolts are better. But there are about a zillion modern cars running around on 12 mm studs.

Also, I welded up curb rash on these rims. If you have access to a tig welder, just use 5000 series rod then file and sand it out. The welding doesn't need to be pretty. Small scuffs can just be sanded and polished.

I cnc machined the center bits. The porsche caps are off of a 928 I believe with the OD turned down, faces polished, and crest stuff sprayed black. Need to redo the cnc work since my original design doesn't clear the front hubs. Oops. Painted the inside of the rims black for contrast.

Anyway, I like the look of these rims on the car.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
championgt1
Very nice. Is your car gold?
jarred
Yes, gold. Original color was silver I think. Then red, then gold, then gold again. The gold that is on it now is a Porsche color. I don't remember which model of Porsche, can't say I've ever seen gold running around on another Porsche. But it's a great color for the 914.
sfrenck
Where did you get the center caps for them?
jarred
Made the round outside thing, the centers are polished up 928 caps.
Olympic 914
Very nice. I ran these for years... never could find centers that fit. good job.
rick 918-S
Nice color! drooley.gif
Mark Henry
I had those in 14" bus, I liked them I just never had the bus for them. I dragged them to shows for years couldn't get rid of them.
Then one show I almost didn't bother taking them, packed them last minute just because I had room. I got there and hadn't even unloaded and there was a guy blowing his load over them...I don't think he got the "how much?" out before I said "SOLD!"

Then within a 1-2 weeks I had a couple of guys phone asking if I still had them dry.gif
jarred
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2015, 02:01 PM) *

Nice color! drooley.gif

Paint by Maaco. Friend of mine manages the place. He put a little "pixie dust" in the base coat so it has some sparkle; a tiny bit "Hot Wheels" when viewed closely in bright sunlight, but I think it totally fits the car. Definitely gets a lot of attention. Although probably not for the "numbers matching" crowd.
aharder
Nice !!!! beerchug.gif
I have a set but they don't look that good !!
URY914
I bought mine in 1979 this is a pic from "82

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.