Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updated Fuse panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gasmith47
I'm new to the 914 World always loved them. I just got a 73 1.7 and I was a dummy and bought it on e-bay site unseen except for the pictures. Not all is bad. But the wiring is a mess and was wondering if anybody has changed over to a updated fuse box and if they did was if difficult to do? I have the colored schematics. I have also since looking deeper I have some disconnected wires under the carpet center tunnel area. Like I'm saying I'm new to 914's but have mechanical background and would appreciate any help.
Dave_Darling
Here ya go:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._pg3.htm#item17

A ready-to-go kit from JWest Engineering.

The wires on the center tunnel area are probably for the center console gauges. If the console is not present, those just get taped up or folded up out of the way.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
The factory original fusepanel can be perfectly functional and reliable if its clean and the contacts are burnished. Most 914s still run them. Unless you just want the convenience of the updated fuse style there is little to be gained by changing it out for a generic unit that has been adapted to the 914.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 20 2015, 02:20 PM) *

The factory original fusepanel can be perfectly functional and reliable if its clean and the contacts are burnished. Most 914s still run them. Unless you just want the convenience of the updated fuse style there is little to be gained by changing it out for a generic unit that has been adapted to the 914.

agree.gif
GeorgeRud
Having the clear cover for the fuse box also helps so you are not accidentally knocking out fuses when getting in or out of the car.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 20 2015, 06:07 PM) *

Having the clear cover for the fuse box also helps so you are not accidentally knocking out fuses when getting in or out of the car.

That is the only thing wrong with the stock box...and it always seems to happen at night. mad.gif
gasmith47
Thanks for the info but somebody in the past messed with the wiring at and behind the fuse panel at one point had the lights, fog and hazard on checking it all out it started smoking under there. So i need to sort that all out and figured I would update the panel. Electrical is not my strong suit but what the hell, I write books to fix airplanes I figure I'll take on a 914. It's the challenges that keeps us going.
GeorgeRud
If you want to update the fuse panel, I'd recommend getting the JWest Engineering replacement panel. It will fit in the stock location and uses the modern blade type fuses.
JeffBowlsby
The approach that introduces one or more new variables when trying to solve a problem can lead to even more problems and make the real problem even harder to find. Why not figure out the correct wiring using the stock fusepanel first, then if necessary to put in that other fusepanel, you'll know the system works first?
cary
What Jeff said .................
Don't add additional variables. 40 years is a long period of folks tinkering.

Do a search and find a copy of a colored wiring diagram for your model year. Then start the research.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(cary @ Jan 21 2015, 05:34 AM) *

What Jeff said .................
Don't add additional variables. 40 years is a long period of folks tinkering.

Do a search and find a copy of a colored wiring diagram for your model year. Then start the research.

agree.gif agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.