Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass Rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Its time to work on the FG rockers for the ABM.

The PO modified the rockers to fit the steel flares, but the rockers are rough. He suggested doing a thin finish layer of body filler to smooth out the rockers.

Is this the right call?
FourBlades
if it will be thicker than 1/4 inch i would use bondo with kitty hair or fiberglass resin with kitty hair to stop it from cracking.

John
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 21 2015, 06:22 AM) *

if it will be thicker than 1/4 inch i would use bondo with kitty hair or fiberglass resin with kitty hair to stop it from cracking.

John

Kitty hair?
Krieger
IBTl. This is so upsetting...
rick 918-S
Got your VM but had a busy weekend and failed to call. Post some good photos and we can talk.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
76-914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 21 2015, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 21 2015, 06:22 AM) *

John

Kitty hair?

Fiberglass strands. Or add micro-balloons with the resin to make a slurry.
EdwardBlume
Unicorn ear wax?
EdwardBlume
More
EdwardBlume
Gratuitous car shot
madmax914
The front side doesn't look that bad, I would suggest using a product by Evercoat called Everglass. It has short strands of fiberglass in it for strength and it bonds well to a roughed up fiberglass surface. I would skim coat the entire piece and on the flat areas hand sand with a Dura-Block backing pad. Dura-Block also makes a round backing pad for the curved areas. You can find most of these items at any good automotive paint supply company. Having the right tool can make all the difference.
timothy_nd28
agree.gif +1 for durablock. eBay has a kit for around 50 bucks
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Thanks for the advice. Here's another pict
pete000
Those look a lot like a pair I got that were manufactured by AA. The quality and fit was so poor I had to heavily modify them to get them to fit requiring much tuning and cutting. I have one side done to acceptable quality. Only issue is all the Bondo and fiberglass cloth it took to make them straight and fit properly added a lot of unwanted weight. I am tempted to use them as a plug and have a set of carbon parts made.

I do know they were patterned after the real 914-6 GT set with correct flared ends. Many of the replica aftermarket GT rockers don't have the correct flared ends. Either too stiff or incorrect radius. The factory fit and finish was not the best on the GT cars as they were probably rushed to make the parts from the few cars I have seen.

If I ever get seriously motivated I would like to build a set in CAD and have them CNC milled to make the master molds. This would be the best method by far. but also the most costly.
Mike Bellis
I would use kitty hair and gel resin. Mix the two to make the kitty hair flow better. Feather it out and sand smooth. Use bondo or filler putty to make it perfect.
Krieger
Screw kitty hair. Unicorn hair is way better piratenanner.gif
raw1298
I am at this stage too. I got mine from AA and one is twisted. Thought about using steel rockers and bonding flared ends on an filling with kitty hair and Bondo.
CptTripps
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Jan 22 2015, 08:09 AM) *

I am at this stage too. I got mine from AA and one is twisted. Thought about using steel rockers and bonding flared ends on an filling with kitty hair and Bondo.

Oooh. That's not a bad idea actually. It's not like there's a lot of structural integrity needed at that point. Interesting...I may steal that idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.