Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Historical plates - pro's and cons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
I had not previously considered historical plates but my insurance company offered me a substantial savings if I have historical license plates.

However this means only shows & parades. How closely is this monitored?

Thanks

David
toolguy
IIRC, If a cop wants to stop you and ask what function you're going to he can, . . If you get into an accident, your insurance company will ask the same thing with verification of the event.
Tom_T
It varies by state David, so get your actual law VC sections & read it.

In most cases the "...events to expressly exhibit or display historic vehicles..." types of wording can also include things from Cars-n-Coffees, PCA rally's, drives, breakfast/lunch/dinner/doughnuts-n-coffee-&-Porsches, local car clubs 7 probably even 914world types of gatherings, etc.

So you have some flexibility - but not DD use, which is why your insurance will give you a discount!

Good Luck either way! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
toolguy
delete double post.
Tom_T
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 21 2015, 10:17 AM) *

IIRC, If a cop wants to stop you and ask what function you're going to he can, . . If you get into an accident, your insurance company will ask the same thing with verification of the event.

Did he pull you over with the trailer Dave!!?? poke.gif

.... or driving onto it in the parking lot Saturday!? laugh.gif

Seriously though .... what Dave said, & it can be pretty loose as I was saying above.
gryphon68
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 21 2015, 01:12 PM) *

I had not previously considered historical plates but my insurance company offered me a substantial savings if I have historical license plates.

However this means only shows & parades. How closely is this monitored?

Thanks

David

Monitored by who? State Farm does odometer audits on "low mileage" vehicle coverage, I would assume most other insurance companies would as well. As long as you are not making a claim, the main expectation would be fairly low annual mileage. If you make a claim on a show/parade policy, I would imagine you would need a good explanation regarding the show or parade that you were attending. Would be far to easy for them to deny your claim if they feel you were not abiding by the terms of the policy.

With respect our local law enforcement here in SE Michigan. I do know that police were ticketing cars with historic plates in the days prior to the Woodward Dream Cruise. The implication being that only the official dates of the Cruise (Fri-Sun?) were acceptable for use of historic plates, anything else would be considered in violation of the terms for issuing historic plates in Michigan. Outside of the days surrounding the Dream Cruise, I'm not sure how much attention you would get with historic plates by LE. Probably passable on (sunny?) weekends, but possibly questionable on a weekday. Would expect to be questioned regarding what show or parade you where in transit to or from if you were ever pulled over for another violation.

Obviously, this is going to vary state to state. Personally I don't think I'm going the historic plate route for my car here in Michigan.
rjames
So it sounds like there are two areas of concern regarding collector plates:
Insurance coverage and state laws

I have classic car insurance and I did pay extra to be able to drive it on errands or even to work on occasion, but still limited to a certain number of miles per year.

I need to look into the restrictions of having collector's plates in WA.
Mueller
Another forum I am on the guy let his parents drive his car that has historical plates on it, the dad got pulled over and was issued a ticket with a nice fine.

Apparently he had been using the vehicle off and on for a few weeks and then turned it into his daily, an observant officer noticed him a few too many times driving about.

Only thing I don't like about the plates is the people that use them to circumvent paying for all the same stuff I'd have to pay for.
7TPorsh
You can always say you're driving to your mechanic...
Big Len
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 21 2015, 01:51 PM) *

You can always say you're driving to your mechanic...

Absolutely. Or in NJ, educational purposes works as well. And I register it only once with no inspections ever.

And I would not go through my DD insurance. Try Hagerty.
naro914
NC is kind of odd...anyone can get Antique plates if the car is (I think) 35 years old. From a state perspective, age is all they care about. THEN...if you can find a plate - any plate - from the model year of your car, you can put it on. You just ahve to have the REAL state issued plate with you in the car somewhere. For example, Huey is a '71. Registered as Antique (never have to do state safety/emissions inspections again), but I found/bought a 1971 dealer plate online. Thats what we have on the car, the state issued tag is in the center console with the registration.

As far as insurance - we have Hagerty classic car insurance. No mileage or used restrictions as far as I know except you aren't supposed to use as DD and needs to be stored in a garage. You have to prove you have another car for daily driver duties (you must have another car insured) but that's it.
bandjoey
Go with a classic car insurance co like Haggerty. Lower rates and better coverage AND you can drive all the miles you like.
somd914
In Maryland I go with historical plates - half the cost and avoids the PITA registration safety inspection where they always find something wrong no matter... MD restricts it to car event use and not for "general" use.

I have Hagerty, no requirement for classic plates. My daily insurance would insure it, but at a higher cost and didn't require classic plates.
mepstein
Pa antique plates are a one time $75 fee and no inspections ever. Allows for occasional driving including driving to work. Insurance cost $120/yr for full coverage and 5k year miles.

It really varies state to state. Read the fine print carefully.
malcolm2
my 85 VW has antique plates. 25 years = antique in TN. Here, as in NC I got an actual plate from 1985 and registered it. I got pulled over one day and the cop asked me about the plate. I think the old plates confuse them. They may be a red flag for some. It was a Wednesday. Law states Sat-Sun, Holidays and events only, as in most states.

I did not get a ticket, but I did learn that if the cop wanted to, he could give you a ticket and the judge may throw in a FINE.....pay the normal registration costs for every year you have been in antique status.... OUCH. blink.gif 10 years saving $50 a year. chair.gif

I have a reciprical deal with a work friend and fellow antique car owner. If I get pulled over, I say I am taking the car to him to test drive and he does the same.

Might work, might not. shades.gif

If the car will pass emissions and you want to drive it, just get a regular plate. You can get antique insurance either way. When registering, just tell everyone the truth and see what happens.
JmuRiz
As long as it's not a car driven to work is the best way to think of it.
I doubt many are driving a 914 to work.
I drive mine (drove mine when it was running) to events, to test parts, occasional joy ride, to/from a mechanic etc. Those are all valid reasons in VA to have historic plates.

With those I don't have to get it inspected, get plate stickers and get a break on insurance.
Beeliner
In Connecticut I paid $97 for two years, then registration expires.

I went with Haggerty. I told them I would be driving 7000 miles a year.

They said that was quite a bit, and I agreed.....

I did tell them I would not be doing anything at the track, etc. which is true, so overall I am fine with the deal..

Here in CT the state doesn't care how much you drive on the classic car plate, as far as I know... driving-girl.gif
somd914
It's been a while since I've been down the path of historic plates in Maryland, so I decided to refresh my memory. From Maryland's historic plate application:

"I/We certify under oath that the vehicle will only be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.
I/We further certify that this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways."

Thus an occasional drive to work, running errands, going out of for dinner, etc is permissible.

And for those in Maryland who are subject to emission testing, historic registration exempts the car from testing. Presently the car has to be 20 years old, but there has been talk of increasing it to 25 years.
saigon71
I'd base your insurance needs on how the car will be used.

It's worth a phone call to both your current DD insurance company and Haggerty to find out what is available.

If you plan on using the car only occasionally, Historic plates are probably the way to go.

My car is a daily driver most of the year. I like taking it on road trips. I didn't want any restrictions on how, when or why I drive it. I went with regular registration and added it to my DD insurance policy at an agreed upon value of $14K with full coverage and a low deductible.

Factoring in the multi-car discount I received, it was only a few dollars more than going with antique plates and insurance through Haggerty.

I take it for PA state inspection annually, but it doesn't bother me.
jd74914
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jan 21 2015, 04:53 PM) *

In Connecticut I paid $97 for two years, then registration expires.

I went with Haggerty. I told them I would be driving 7000 miles a year.

They said that was quite a bit, and I agreed.....

I did tell them I would not be doing anything at the track, etc. which is true, so overall I am fine with the deal..

Here in CT the state doesn't care how much you drive on the classic car plate, as far as I know... driving-girl.gif

Me too (when mine last moved at least laugh.gif).

Our classic plates are simply age-based; they come with no driving restrictions as far as I know. I drove everyday for 3 years with classic plates and never had an issue.

Insurance is another story since they can deny claims if you "falsely" insure. I had a Hagerty policy and did the same thing as quoted.
BK911
My insurance lets me drive 5k miles per year. Doesnt matter when.
I have been pulled over several times, but never for the plates.
Only once did the cop even mention the plates.
In TN, you can drive on weekends, to shows, or to tune your vehicle.
My vehicles get tuned a LOT!!
tumamilhem
Not an issue in FL. I'm in Duval County in FL and I registered my LE with an authentic 1974 FL Duval tag. if the tag has not been registered before, you can register it on your car. And it's actually cheaper because all I have to renew is my yearly sticker. I can keep the car registered with that tag forever without replacing it. And it was even cheaper than buying a new tag. Keeping it really OG smile.gif

Click to view attachment
green914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 21 2015, 11:57 AM) *

Go with a classic car insurance co like Haggerty. Lower rates and better coverage AND you can drive all the miles you like.

agree.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(BK911 @ Jan 22 2015, 10:00 AM) *

In TN, you can drive on weekends, to shows, or to tune your vehicle.
My vehicles get tuned a LOT!!

I guess I missed that MAINTENANCE line... I like that.

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titlereg/f1312901Fill-in.pdf
Antique Motor Vehicles. Per Tennessee Code Ann. § 55-4-111, a person may register a vehicle as an “antique motor vehicle” providing that certain requirements are satisfied.

The vehicle:
• Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body,
• Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item,
• Can only be used for general transportation on Saturday and Sunday, and
• Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing maintenance on the vehicle.
aircooledtechguy
I've got 4 vehicles registered with "Collector Vehicle" or restored "Year Of Manufacture" plates here in WA state.

I have an absolute douche-bag State patrolman who has pulled me over 3 times for various B.S. reasons. All of which went to court and were dropped due to him not reading the laws.

I had the opportunity to test this particular law last year when I was pulled over and cited for a "collector plate violation" which was also dropped in court. The law here in WA state is so vague in how it is written, that lawmakers have given you a loop-hole large enough to drive your car through. With no mileage restrictions and language like 'pleasure drive" (which the state has not defined what constitutes a "pleasure drive"), there is no way for a ticket to stick in court.

Since I drive mine to and from my shop a lot, "taking it to my mechanic" is not a stretch in the least. biggrin.gif Going to hang out with friends from my car club is also allowed as is any number of other activities that are not expressly pointed out in the law according to the judge. Here in WA state, you get your collector plates and that's it for as long as you own the car and that's just fine with me. IMHO the state steals & wastes enough of my money.

Ansbacher
What I don't like about Florida's plate of this type is that it says "Antique" on it. To me, an antique is something over one hundred years old or more. The 914 is still too futuristic of a design to be labeled as an antique. I could tolerate "Classic" but that just conjures up images of sheet metal behemoths a.k.a. 50s American cars, so maybe not that either. Our plates should read "Mid-engine, scorned by the public, too bad I like it anyway".

Ansbacher
type2man
I live in Florida and have a Horseless Carriage tag on my 29 Ford hotrod. It is a permanent plate with no sticker to attach every year. One time fee and I am done. As for my 914, I plan on putting a year of make plate and registering it through Hagerty.
Big Len
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 22 2015, 07:00 PM) *

What I don't like about Florida's plate of this type is that it says "Antique" on it. To me, an antique is something over one hundred years old or more. The 914 is still too futuristic of a design to be labeled as an antique. I could tolerate "Classic" but that just conjures up images of sheet metal behemoths a.k.a. 50s American cars, so maybe not that either. Our plates should read "Mid-engine, scorned by the public, too bad I like it anyway".

Ansbacher

smilie_pokal.gif Agreed !!
Beeliner
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jan 22 2015, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 22 2015, 07:00 PM) *

Ansbacher

smilie_pokal.gif Agreed !!

In Connecticut you now have a choice... "Antique Plate" with the stupid old car icon, or the new "Classic Car' plate. Much nicer
bigkensteele
Ohio:

General Information
To qualify, motor vehicles must be at least 25 years old. They are solely collector's items and are used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, etc. They are NOT for general transportation.

Registrant Eligibility
These plates may be issued to any Ohio motorist. The vehicle must be 25 years of age or older. It is a collector's vehicle used in participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, but NOT for general transportation.

Title Requirements
Ohio Certificate of Title issued in individual's name, either singly or jointly, or the name is the same name on the lease agreement.

Vehicle Information
These plates may be issued to any vehicle.

Type of Plates
Stock, reserved, or personalized plates inscribed with the words Historical Vehicle Ohio (personalized plates may now contain up to six characters). Model Year Plates are also permitted.

Issuance Information
Applicant must complete Form BMV 4806 (affidavit).

Cost
There is a one-time fee of $10.00. The fee is determined by Ohio Revised Code section 4503.181.

Fees New Renewal
License Tax $21.00 $0.00
New Plate Charge* $7.50 $0.00
Deputy Fee $3.50 $3.50
Plate Reflectorization Fee $0.25 per plate $0.00
County Sticker(s) $0.25 $0.00
Postage** current rate current rate

The $7.50 fee does not apply if it is the first time the vehicle is registered by the owner or if the vehicle has not been plated in the last 12 months.

No postage is required if renewed at Deputy Registrar.
Bulldog9
Many states have different laws and types of registrations and expectations. I think honesty is the best policy, especially when it comes to insurance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.