Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HaraPuzo
Hi, I'm curious to know about engine options to build a "six". I've seen other 911 engines and subaru engines too. but has anyone tried Honda/Acura? Maybe a motorcycle engine build? I'm no mechanic. not sure if this is even possible.
any advice is welcome smile.gif
Thank you!
Mueller
QUOTE(HaraPuzo @ Jan 21 2015, 10:50 AM) *

Hi, I'm curious to know about engine options to build a "six". I've seen other 911 engines and subaru engines too. but has anyone tried Honda/Acura? Maybe a motorcycle engine build? I'm no mechanic. not sure if this is even possible.
Thank you!

A simple google search will find plenty of other "six" conversions....

I posted a thread about an Acura one a few weeks ago, there is a Ford SHO being done currently if you search, a Nissan V6 (nice install and quick car, gave my old 3.6 911 a good run against it!)

Also, Buick V6 and Chevy V6's have been done.

See Kennedy Engineering, they list what adapters they make, so good chances are one of their setups have been used in a 914 conversion.
HaraPuzo
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 21 2015, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(HaraPuzo @ Jan 21 2015, 10:50 AM) *

Thank you!

A simple google search will find plenty of other "six" conversions....

I posted a thread about an Acura one a few weeks ago, there is a Ford SHO being done currently if you search, a Nissan V6 (nice install and quick car, gave my old 3.6 911 a good run against it!)

Also, Buick V6 and Chevy V6's have been done.

See Kennedy Engineering, they list what adapters they make, so good chances are one of their setups have been used in a 914 conversion.

thanks Mueller for the link. will keep looking on google too.
SirAndy
IMHO, smaller 911 engines (up to 3.2L) are by far the easiest to install since they are a direct bolt in and the 914 chassis was built to accommodate them.

shades.gif
Mueller
At least with the American V6 engines, after talking for few people that have done them...."I could've had a V8" was often mentioned...more or less same price and amount of work.

As far as I know, no kits or supports to install any V6 , of course some of the V8 kit could be used but then what do you do with the left over parts.

Unless you have deep pockets with plenty of $$$$ I'd opt out on this idea until you become a mechanic!

You got to start someplace!

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2015, 11:27 AM) *

IMHO, smaller 911 engines (up to 3.2L) are by far the easiest to install since they are a direct bolt in....

Not exactly bolt-in... The welded-in mounts are definitely preferred, and of course you have to do some cutting of the side of the engine bay to fit the oil tank... But the 911 engines are a very well-understood swap, and improve the car markedly. No debates about them, like there are about the V8 and Scooby motor swaps.

--DD
Mark Henry
Do a search and pick an engine.
Stock-ish Type 4 is still the overall cheapest especially seeing as you are "no mechanic".
Everything else is going to cost you large if you pay someone to do the work.

If you still want something big I'd buy a car that is already done and sorted, it will cost you less in the long run and you'll be on the road this summer.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 21 2015, 11:54 AM) *
Not exactly bolt-in... The welded-in mounts are definitely preferred, and of course you have to do some cutting of the side of the engine bay to fit the oil tank...

For the smaller displacements, a quick six mounting bar using the stock /4 engine mounts is sufficient and the factory already stamped the sheetmetal where one needs to cut holes for the oiltank.

So yes, i stand by my earlier post. Bolt-in with minimum amount of work.
bye1.gif
Cairo94507
I agree with Mark Henry, buy something already done and it will cost you about 60% (seat of my pants guess dry.gif ) of what it would cost to build it. Aside from that logic, decide if you want the 911 motor or my next choice, because I love their engines, is the Subaru boxer motor. I think those have been done enough that it is pretty much a plug and play conversion now, like the 911 swap into the 914.

Mark Henry
I remember we had PMed before, you didn't have a car yet. I take it you are still looking?

My best advice, seeing as you are no mechanic, is buy the best finished car you can afford. There are usually some real nice cars in the for sale section, worth a plane ticket stateside for the right one. If it's a local car get it inspected by someone who knows these cars. If in the states you often you can get a local member to inspect the car.

Projects can take years and will always cost more than a sorted car. I know you may only have the budget for a project right now, but I'd figure out some way to increase your car fund.
Even if you needed a loan, it will still cost you less than any project and you will be driving this summer.

This is a lot of experience talking. shades.gif
HaraPuzo
wow! thanks for the quick and very helpful advice everyone smile.gif Sir Andy, Mueller, Dave Darling, Cairo94507, Mark Henry.
It's becoming clear to me that purchasing something thats already built is the way to go. Yes Mark Henry, we've PMd before. Your advice is awesome. I don't have a hole burning in my wallet now, maybe closer to summertime. when the time comes I'll be asking lots of questions again. Thanks for the replies !
1972 914 2.0
A big Type 4 can make a bit more power than the stock /6 boys without the added weight. Plus there easy/cheap to work on (I'm doing one in my basement) and reliable.
It's not necessarily unique but it'll give you thousands of miles of motoring pleasure with ease.

That said I'd love to see a big bike motor in a 914!!!! Not sure if it's been done but I'd suggest doing some research. Certainly would be unique, quick, and right if you can figure out how to make it all work together.

My two cents
Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.