Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting tips for QRS Fiberglass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914GTSTI
Restarting my build and need some help with mounting the QRS Fiberglass GT fenders. Is their a BEST way ? Links to other builds ? Tried the search with limited success.
Thanks,Randy
effutuo101
There is a 2 part adhesive and a gun you will have to get for the full fenders. Also Klecko's to hold everything in place while it cures.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=Effutuo++build

Hope this link works. If not search the forum for Effutuo +build..
I have a four quarters as QRS glass.
914GTSTI
Thanks,I have worked with that stuff.
Thanks for the great link !

What I want to do is a removable mount. And ideas ? A Zuse mount system.
914GTSTI
It just dawned to me,its your build. Very nice. Do you have on the street yet ? How is the motor-trans working out for you ?

I have a 94 STI that I setup with the Kennedy system. Now I'm thinking to use the Subaru trans ? Would love your input.
Thanks,Randy
effutuo101
So far the SUBY trans fits in its spot nicely. Did the clutch on Monday and it was a breeze. Hope to have it running and drive able in the next 3 months.
There are a few guys that are running the SUBY trans. It is lighter than the 901, shifts better and cheap to replace.

If you want to remove the fenders, Zeus (spelling) fasteners are the way to go. Some brackets on each corner and you are done. I have seen a lot of our cars that are running Sheridan kits do this. I almost went that way myself.
Keep an eye on my thread I hope to have significant updates in the next 90 days.
Woody
I like the riveted look

Click to view attachment
Woody
Click to view attachment
effutuo101
Sweet!
Love the front air dam. Is that From Pelican?
914GTSTI
Thanks for the photos ,Woody !

Going to go with " Zeus (spelling) LOL ". Would like the ability to work on other things with no fenders.

Randy
Woody
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jan 22 2015, 02:08 PM) *

Sweet!
Love the front air dam. Is that From Pelican?

Its the Sheridan airdam and yes I believe Pelican has them. beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Dzus fasteners.

The two extra holes are for clearance to the quarter turn fastener rivets on the outer panel.
Getting the correct stack up can be challenging since there are so many spring and fastener combinations available.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
effutuo101
So, do the work and make sure everything is perfect, pull it apart and paint.

Looks nice!
914GTSTI
Thanks Racer ! The photo from the underside helps.

I was thinking that I would add a underplate to help beef up the fender metal ?
bulitt
Here is Elliots build thread on adding QRS fenders.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=202635&hl=

Working on the bolt on meself. Lots of open space to work when removed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jan 22 2015, 05:13 PM) *

Thanks Racer ! The photo from the underside helps.

I was thinking that I would add a underplate to help beef up the fender metal ?

It wouldn't take much to add lots of stiffness to a small area like that, no more than 20 ga metal needed.
You can also get Dzus spring mounting plates that weld on wherever you want. I use them to attach my F/G bumpers.
tadink
I've also used the Dzus fasteners on mine - pix below - they are a pain to get lined up correctly. Be patient, go slow, figure out the depth of the 'plunger' mechanism that you need for the glass flares you've got.

I've got the fronts held on with rivets and adhesive - I think I prefer the Dzus overall.

I tried to keep as much of the full panel as possible, but had to trim a bit since I was mounting over the existing tin vs. a direct replacement of the tin. The real 'pucker' happens when you begin to cut away the body - but be brave and go slowly!! I marked out the cuts with blue painting tape to guide me along the way.

Since my goal was more 'race' and less 'show' I was not too concerned with the finished cosmetics....but all in all, I think I'd do it again with the f'glass panels.....the weight saved is significant!!!

Next stage is to have the panels painted to match - and that is relatively less expensive to have the panels only professionally 'shot' vs having the whole car done.

have fun!
td

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.