Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 2.0L on Mecum Auction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Nice blue '74 2L on the Mecum auction in Florida on NBC Sports. Bid ended at $12,000 with no sale. TV commentators noted that the 914 was "prone to rust".
Tom_T
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jan 22 2015, 01:16 PM) *

TV commentators noted that the 914 was "prone to rust".

And so are every pre-76 Porsche (76 914 was a 75 build) .... & so were most other pre-80's/70's Euro, Japanese & Domestic cars!

Still .... they want to bash 914s & know nothing!

I didn't see it's condition, but that $12k was low for a good condition DD 74 2L, so can't blame the seller for saying NO!!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
era vulgaris
I can't stand those Mecum announcers. I was watching one of the auctions last year and there was a beautiful white 356 coupe on the block, and one of those dipshits went on and on about how "he just doesn't like these cars".
I can only tolerate those muscle car auctions in about 10 minute increments anyway. There's only so many corvettes, mustangs, and camaros I can look at before I'm bored out of my mind.
Mike Fitton
What kind of a dumb sh*t tries to sell a 914 through Mecum! screwy.gif
monkeyboy
Exactly. I like the Mecum auctions but they are geared toward American muscle.

You have to put the car in front of the crowd most likely to pay for it.
madmax914
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jan 23 2015, 08:29 AM) *

Exactly. I like the Mecum auctions but they are geared toward American muscle.

You have to put the car in front of the crowd most likely to pay for it.

I think you're trying to change their image, they held a auction in Monterey this last year.

Of coarse there was a fare share of muscle cars there. barf.gif
Mike Fitton
Maybe Mecum cut the seller a deal (no seller fee) and was just collecting from the buyer. 914's & early 911's are hot right now with the Amelia auctions coming and Mecum wants a foot in the door. Personally I would never sell one of my cars at auction.
1972 914 2.0
The commentators on Mecum just can't stop bashing Euro cars.
I was watching a while ago when a 911 TURBO came out on to the block. They introduced the car and then were completely SILENT for the rest of the bidding.

And a lot of times they don't bother to show the Euro cars at all. "Oh here comes a classic Mercedes, annnnnndddd, it's time for a commercial break......" dry.gif

I wrote in and complained to Mecum to no response....
JeffBowlsby
Didn't sell because its not a 12K car. Seller needs to be reasonable, that car has issues that do not justify the higher values that only some 914s are bringing these days. Its a nice car in a lot of ways, I won't be critical of it, but it only is what it is.
Drums66
......Cool auction.....There were other P-cars......53,356-Cab sold for 125g's
but.........as stated mostly MUSCLE.(Fords.Mopar) stones.gif thumb3d.gif
bye1.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 23 2015, 01:47 PM) *

Didn't sell because its not a 12K car. Seller needs to be reasonable, that car has issues that do not justify the higher values that only some 914s are bringing these days. Its a nice car in a lot of ways, I won't be critical of it, but it only is what it is.

agree.gif many 914's are not sold through auction or dealers so using the "value guides" just gives you a partial picture of pricing. Might be good to use when insuring your car but I bet way more cars are sold through private sales than public.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.