Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hundred Grand?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Asking price is not selling price.
Having said that, someone actually did a pretty good job restoring that one.

There are a few minor details, but i didn't see anything that would detract from it's value overall.
smile.gif

PS: I hope he gets the $100k but i highly doubt it.
Larmo63
Very interesting car. I don't understand the euro rear lights and usa fronts with no markers.

That said, and a few other things...I could find room for it in my garage. agree.gif
boxsterfan
If I was a rich person (which I am not), I would probably pay that price. Esepcially for a 914/6 from 1971. And that color is the chowtime.gif

Note: for my $100G's, I would want to see lots of pics of the restoration.
MikeInMunich
drooley.gif

I've never seen that piece of wood in a trunk before. I think I might just make one for that little something different / special. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Mike- That is not wood- it is a piece of dense foam. I wish I had a set of high res pictures of that entire car to assist in my restoration. When Sixes sell for $100K this will be one of them.
OllieG
Ad says it's Willow Green but it looks very light/bright compared to other pics I've seen of Willow Green 914s on Google images.

The colour of this 6 looks great but looks to me as bright as Viper Green…only asking coz it's a colour I'm thinking about for my car.

Anyone got a W/G car?
rick 918-S
I hope he gets it. That has to be one rare 6 in that color. drooley.gif Sensible upgrades to make it a better driver don't bug me at all.
rick 918-S
double post but I still like it. Would like to see the hell hole shots though.
cary
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 22 2015, 09:46 PM) *

Note: for my $100G's, I would want to see lots of pics of the restoration.

I was thinking the same thing.
I know someone in Portland looking for 6. This color is right up his alley. He knows that $70k will buy him the car he wants. To make the leap to $100k would take a good size book of restoration documentation.

I think he's became a member here. Hopefully he'll see this.
EdwardBlume
And I thought buying a /6 for $30K a few years back was crazy. headbang.gif
gereed75
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 23 2015, 09:04 AM) *

And I thought buying a /6 for $30K a few years back was crazy. headbang.gif

I was extremely lucky to have found a very good one for just under that 6 months ago.

This car appeals to me on many levels - the tasteful upgrades, the color, the year but also the "level" of restoration. This is exactly the route I am pursuing - a high quality car that does not compromise correctness, maintains originality where that makes sense but is not a concours show piece that you are afraid to drive. From what I see, I suspect that this character of car appeals to a broad market and makes the most economical sense.

Bubble or not, things are worth what people will pay for them, and it appears that the market will bear close to this. This is the next logical step from the recent cars that sold for $70K.

I do wonder when the demand for these cars will be satisfied. How many people in the world with the financial means can there be who really want sixes???

By the way - Not for sale....enjoying the process completely right now. biggrin.gif
913B
More pics here

http://www.autokennel.com/AutoKennel/Entri...estoration.html
Kansas 914
QUOTE(OllieG @ Jan 23 2015, 06:40 AM) *

Ad says it's Willow Green but it looks very light/bright compared to other pics I've seen of Willow Green 914s on Google images.

The colour of this 6 looks great but looks to me as bright as Viper Green…only asking coz it's a colour I'm thinking about for my car.

Anyone got a W/G car?

I have a Willow Green - repainted to original chip 2 years ago.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GregAmy

Allow me to be a dissenter, having gone through price rises like this before: you really don't want these cars to be going to those levels.

First of all, that price is absurd. If these cars are actually bringing these numbers, then it clearly indicates a price bubble at serious risk of blowing up. That's neither good for you nor me, only for those trying to sell right now. Which means, if it goes for that, jump on the "sell" train before it leaves the station.

Second, prices like this are not good for the enthusiasts. Why do we have these cars? Because they're fun to drive, easy to work on and maintain. We drive them to work on nice days (and sometimes in not-so-nice days!) because they're fun.

Well, how much fun are you going to have driving your $100k (or $70k or $50k) car to work and parking it in the corporate lot next to a large-door Buick? Bet you'll give that serious second-thoughts. Nobody likes a garage queen except in Jalopnik articles.

For us, the enthusiasts, the best thing to happen is a gradual, slow, incremental rise in value, such that we can enjoy these cars, afford to repair/restore them, and enjoy driving them, as they were intended.

Food for thought.

GA, who lusted for one of those "not really a Ferrari!" Dinos while at university...
boxsterfan
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 23 2015, 08:20 AM) *

Allow me to be a dissenter, having gone through price rises like this before: you really don't want these cars to be going to those levels.

First of all, that price is absurd. If these cars are actually bringing these numbers, then it clearly indicates a price bubble at serious risk of blowing up. That's neither good for you nor me, only for those trying to sell right now. Which means, if it goes for that, jump on the "sell" train before it leaves the station.

Second, prices like this are not good for the enthusiasts. Why do we have these cars? Because they're fun to drive, easy to work on and maintain. We drive them to work on nice days (and sometimes in not-so-nice days!) because they're fun.

Well, how much fun are you going to have driving your $100k (or $70k or $50k) car to work and parking it in the corporate lot next to a large-door Buick? Bet you'll give that serious second-thoughts. Nobody likes a garage queen except in Jalopnik articles.

For us, the enthusiasts, the best thing to happen is a gradual, slow, incremental rise in value, such that we can enjoy these cars, afford to repair/restore them, and enjoy driving them, as they were intended.

Food for thought.

GA, who lusted for one of those "not really a Ferrari!" Dinos while at university...

I agree with your sentiment on "enthusiasts" cars, but eventually all the cool cars go to sky high prices and become garage queens. At least the 914/6's anyway. The 914/4's are still plentiful and will be a long long time before they ever hit that range....save for maybe the LE's which some will debate. Personally, the LE's should become more valuable in the /4's because there are so few of them left.

boxsterfan
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Jan 23 2015, 07:48 AM) *

Lots of pics, but no pics of the actual restoration when the car was blasted down to bare sheetmetal. For $100G's (which, if I had the $$$, I might spend on a **1971** 914/6), I need to see pics of the whole restoration....before....during....and after. OK, well, we got the after pics. :-)
DBCooper
Hell, I'm listing mine right now for $250,000. I swore I'd never sell it but what the hell, why not?

OBO, of course. We can talk about it but don't insult me.

dry.gif Jeez guys, you're all drooling too much.

Larmo63
I've seen a lot of interest and articles lately about the 914 and the Amelia Island event can only help raise prices. When car collectors start gobbling up the /6's at $100K+ prices, you won't see them anymore. That will help /4 prices, but it prices everybody up (and out) in the marketplace.

The other issue is that our money isn't worth as much as it used to be.
monkeyboy
For top dollar I would expect the car to be absolutely restored back to stock. A bigger motor and larger cams aren't acceptable for that price.

Sane with the filled marker lights.
monkeyboy
For top dollar I would expect the car to be absolutely restored back to stock. A bigger motor and larger cams aren't acceptable for that price.

Sane with the filled marker lights.
PlantMan
Should have bought that 6 for $9500 I saw back in the late 80's!

Rat Turds!
OllieG
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jan 23 2015, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(OllieG @ Jan 23 2015, 06:40 AM) *

Anyone got a W/G car?

I have a Willow Green - repainted to original chip 2 years ago.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It is a beautiful colour…just looks a bit darker in your pics than the ebay car…probably just because your car's indoors.
Cairo94507
I would disagree regarding the larger engine. It is the original case and they bumped the pistons and cylinders up to 2.2 and changed the cams so the engine would have a little more horsepower and torque. Neither detracts from the car. The couple other changes as well do not detract from the car - the deep sixes add value (heck I have 6 of the original 14" Fuchs and they will not go back on my car).

That is a top dollar car IMHO.
Cairo94507
Mike M - Your car is looking terrific. Looking forward to seeing it done.
bulitt
This market is like the late 80's. It's going to be a long fall...
Brian Mifsud
Isn't that the wrong rear bumper?

IPB Image

I thought the 6's has a squared off corner rather than the large radius for the license plate indent??

Not an expert.. but at $100K, that should be a perfectly authentic car shouldn't it?

I could be wrong...
lostreasure
You are correct-Bumper should have squared/sharp edges-also lower valance is modified for better exhaust cooling.
javadog
QUOTE(lostreasure @ Jan 23 2015, 03:38 PM) *

You are correct-Bumper should have squared/sharp edges-also lower valance is modified for better exhaust cooling.

No, the bumper is original to the car. You're describing a 1970 bumper, which is different from the one in 1971.

JR
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 23 2015, 08:20 AM) *

I do.

When you say "these cars" are you saying that there are several cars in this condition (#1) and rare color?

You can still find affordable beaters to work on and drive.

If it was my car I would still drive it for pleasure trips, cars & coffee's, etc. and certainly would not park any of my cars next to a large door Buick no matter what their value was. It is pretty obvious this is not a "drive to work car".

Daily drivers for enthusiasts are going up gradually as they should this is a #1 restored car. You can still get a really nice 2.0 for $15k to $20k but you better hurry.

Food for thought.

See my comments in red above. Just my .02

SirAndy
QUOTE(javadog @ Jan 23 2015, 01:49 PM) *
No, the bumper is original to the car. You're describing a 1970 bumper, which is different from the one in 1971.

agree.gif

The sharped edge bumper was '70 only and *not* exclusive to the /6 cars.
The early /4 cars had them as well.

By '71, they all had the rounded edges.
shades.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 23 2015, 01:03 PM) *

I would disagree regarding the larger engine. It is the original case and they bumped the pistons and cylinders up to 2.2 and changed the cams so the engine would have a little more horsepower and torque. Neither detracts from the car. The couple other changes as well do not detract from the car - the deep sixes add value (heck I have 6 of the original 14" Fuchs and they will not go back on my car).

That is a top dollar car IMHO.

I restored my original 14's and put them back on the car, also I have a beefed up 2.7 installed right now. Pulled fenders are going back to original soon. My original matching 2.0 is on a pallet in my garage, so best of both worlds!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 23 2015, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(javadog @ Jan 23 2015, 01:49 PM) *

agree.gif

The sharped edge bumper was '70 only and *not* exclusive to the /6 cars.
The early /4 cars had them as well.

shades.gif

And steering column key
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 23 2015, 02:04 PM) *

Huh, for some reason I thought that the 71 Sixes also had the sharp-edged recess in the rear bumper. I knew that the 71 Fours had the curved-edge, though.

--DD
Cairo94507
The rear bumper changed during the '71 model year. The early production '71's had the hard edged bumper, the later '71's, like mine, came with the later rear bumper.
javadog
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 23 2015, 06:18 PM) *

And steering column key

Ahh, no. Try 1972.

JR
mepstein
It can only go up...
...Just like the real estate market 10 years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.