Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Tray Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
How do you guys do the paint when replacing the battery tray and support. It's like, once the support and tray are in, how do you paint inside it. I was thinking maybe put in the support, paint, grint off enough to weld on the tray and then do it all over again. Tips?
Allan
Well? icon_bump.gif
xsboost90
interesting question. grab a brush and some POR15 i say... or paint, weld and repaint but that may make the paint peel off and rust...yuck.
Allan
Has anyone tried bolting the tray to the support and to the inner fender well so it can be removed periodically for cleaning?
DuckRyder
I was hoping that some of the Gurus would throw in two cents. Since I'm about to go through this.

I had also thought of riviting or screwing it into place short term since It looks likes its going to be quite difficult to weld with the engine in. I'm planning to pull the engine next winter and paint the engine compartment, fix the engine shelf (cut for A/C) and replace the tin and wiring.

My plan was to paint the battery tray out of the car, and remove the paint from the welding surfaces, replacing it with weldable primer, and temporarily rivit it in.

I'm in no way suggesting that my plan is the right way, only way, preffered way, in fact, I don't even know if it will work at all... blink.gif But that is my plan.

FWIW

jwalters
wink.gif Honestly and truley--because nobody will ever see it--use cold galvanising compund--comes in a spray at your local home labrynth--it is 94% pure zinc and will last a lifetime against rust---that is what I am using prior to my welding--I grind the metal down and then zinc it with this stuff--then weld it up--it is fantastic stuff--and if you go easy with the heat it will not lift--no adverse effects with welding at all--conducts trons very well--- beerchug.gif
McMark
I have had the pieces painted before install and then touched up where the welds are. Didn't work as well as I would have wanted, but was 90% there. There is no good way. dry.gif
GWN7
It was also suggested in a thread a long time ago to weld in bolts to the body and use them like studs to bolt the battery tray in place. (not recommended if your going for the CW look)
ejm
I had also thought of riviting or screwing it into place short term since It looks likes its going to be quite difficult to weld with the engine in.

Hard part is welding the tray to the support since you can't see under there. Here's the trick....weld in the support then hold the tray in place and scribe the outline of the support. Then drill 1/4" holes in the tray and plug weld it to the support from the top.
jwalters
wink.gif Use my method--I would never ever steer anybody in the wrong direction--it works very well--- beerchug.gif
jwalters
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.