Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is currently racing 914-6s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Greg914-6GT
Just curious who is currently racing 914-6s, heck any 914s. I bought a 914-6 GT tribute with a 2.8 that I later found out won't be competitive, since I'll be in with 400 HP 3.0 911s. So I bought a podium capable 914-6 with a 2.0. My cars are maintained by Ron Zitza at Zotz's Racing. Ron has hustled the 2.0 around Sebring at 2:28, best he could wring out of the 2.8 was a low 2:30. The suspension on the GT needs some more tuning. I've added some pictures of the cars. The green car is wrapped and it is being removed to just be black. Both cars will be at Sebring 28-29 March testing during a Chin DE. Our target races this year are Rennsport, if we can get a slot. For sure HSR at Daytona in Nov and Sebring in Dec. I'd race the car more, but I race a bicycle from March thru October. Love to meet other teener during events. Look for the Zotz's racing rig when at the track. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
brant
I'm running in vintage with a 2.0/6 twin plug
do mostly local events with one or two big events each year
run with RMVR, CVAR, HMSA, SVRA, and hopefully this year with CSRG at sonoma.

last event was COTA in october, and starting to get the winter itch... ready to get back out

it looks like the blue car was too modified... becoming a significant problem in vintage racing as these cars age.
gms
I am racing this old 914/6 GT
470.29.00076 - Meaney/Hendricks FIA, IMSA race car

and working another IMSA car for Rensport V
914.043.0945 - IMSA Race Car
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
stownsen914
I've built my 914/6 over many years (first drove it in '96). It has a 2.7L making modest hp, custom bodywork that I made, and also a diffuser under the engine and trans that required moving the exhaust and shift linkage.

sixnotfour
914 langheck .... Love It..
wndsrfr
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 27 2015, 07:24 PM) *

914 langheck .... Love It..

Wow, just Wow........did a search on the Langheck & got my eyes opened wide.....you've done a great job on that car.....curious about how much she weighs??

Couldn't resist clicking on the 917 youtube ride-along......couple of teeners in it also but be watchful....they go by very fast (in reverse that is)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha2ZqP-Hnvc
aktion035.gif
stownsen914
Thanks for the comments ...

I've made significant changes to the car since I last weighed it, but it was 1900 lbs with a full tank of gas. I think it should be about the same with all the changes, all considered.

The bodywork took a ridiculous amount of time to make, especially the front clip and the rear fenders. I made a mold for the front but not for the rear fenders yet ...
Woody
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jan 29 2015, 09:11 AM) *

Thanks for the comments ...

I've made significant changes to the car since I last weighed it, but it was 1900 lbs with a full tank of gas. I think it should be about the same with all the changes, all considered.

The bodywork took a ridiculous amount of time to make, especially the front clip and the rear fenders. I made a mold for the front but not for the rear fenders yet ...

beerchug.gif
slivel
Still racing mine. Starting it's 19th season this year. 3.4 L twin plug.
Steve
Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(slivel @ Jan 29 2015, 01:01 PM) *

Steve

Steve, that car is absolutely gorgeous. As a younger guy, I live vicariously through pictures of guys like yourself who have worked hard to get to toss their toys around on track. If you ever get around to selling it someday, keep me in mind, lol. Should only take me another 20 years or so to be able to afford something like that. biggrin.gif

In the meantime, can we have anymore pics?
slivel
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 29 2015, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(slivel @ Jan 29 2015, 01:01 PM) *

Steve

Steve, that car is absolutely gorgeous. As a younger guy, I live vicariously through pictures of guys like yourself who have worked hard to get to toss their toys around on track. If you ever get around to selling it someday, keep me in mind, lol. Should only take me another 20 years or so to be able to afford something like that. biggrin.gif

In the meantime, can we have anymore pics?

Here are a few from Buttonwillow and Willow Springs. Won the race against the Cobra and Shelby Mustangs - great memories.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
slivel
It's not all fair weather driving. Here a 90 sec vid of some excitement at Miller Motorsports last September. Race was red flagged on lap two for standing water on front straight. Pace lap was dry, then came the deluge.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpO8yg6lDCw

stownsen914
Wow, good to have caught that one! And good thing that 911 wasn't stopped 20 feet closer to where you came to rest smile.gif
Thorshammer

I have previously raced a 914-6 in SCCA (finishing 2nd Runoffs 2005), after much development including Ohlins shocks, Hewland Gearbox, spherical bearing front suspension, etc... I think people typically build 914's as they have been built previously, without thinking of the next evolution. Information that was not at the club racing level has filtered down via development. Chris at CFR has done a lot with rear suspension trailing arms, and builds the best trailing arms. He and I spoke often and it was determined that suspension pick up modification as well as instant center modification, coupled with proper trailing arm strengthening provided results.

Old school items such as the "trailing arm strengthening kit" is old school, and it ads un-sprung weight while adding some stiffness. Shocks are another area which can increase mechanical grip, but the single biggest thing is a properly built gearbox. One that shifts fast, and is always in the power. I do not know the rules for your organization, but looking at the photos of your car, I believe there are some areas which can be improved.

914-6's can be a real weapon, and for SCCA Eprod can still be a championship car with the possibility of winning the Runoffs.

Erik Madsen
MikeSpraggi
Currently doing vintage racing with VRG. 2.4 liter /6. 2060 lbs.

Click to view attachment
naro914
I hope to get back to racing Papa Smurf in PCA this year:
3.2 liter twin plug engine...slightly modified

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And we race Huey in SCCA Hillclimbs and Autocrosses:
3.2 liter stock... GT clone-ish

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 17 2015, 01:46 PM) *

........3.2 liter twin plug engine...slightly modified

lol-2.gif .....LOL ....yeah....slightly modified! Gotta love it. Always one of my favorite teeners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.