Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cache of 5 914s found
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevegm
I located a cache of 5 914s sitting outside in a field. The guy that owns them knows quite a bit about Porsches and is just starting to get out of them. There are 2 '71s, a '72, a '74, and a '75. I got all the VINs for the database.

All have engines. No 2.0L, though. He has titles for all the cars.

All appear to be parts cars, except one of the '71s (the 5th picture down below). The color code was gone, but it appears to have originally been tangerine. No serious rust in either trunk. The doors opened surprisingly well. All the gaps looked good. Some hell hole rust. Needs rear pans, at least. No signs of accident damage. Comes with 1.7L engine with Dellorto carbs, and tail shift tranny.

Not a lot of great parts on the cars. A few bumpers, door handles, mirrors, windshields, suspension. Lots of body rust.

He wants $3,000 for all. Or $1,500 for the tangerine '71.

What to do?
GeorgeRud
It would seem that there would be at least that much in parts alone (side shifter transmissions and linkage on the later cars), but do you have a place to store and dismantle them?
stevegm
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 24 2015, 06:27 PM) *

It would seem that there would be at least that much in parts alone (side shifter transmissions and linkage on the later cars), but do you have a place to store and dismantle them?

Figure they are all 1.7 or 1.8 engines. And trannys don't seem to carry a lot of value lately. Given the labor to haul them and dismantle them, I'm not sure it is worth the effort. I am interest in saving the tangerine '71. Primarily, though, because of the color, which is the wrong reason. $1,500 for a '71 1.7L that needs pans, undoubtedly at least some longitudinal work, then a complete restore?
mepstein
Offer $1k for the whole lot.
green914
poke.gif Save them all! ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Cuda911
Any pix?
stevegm
I added pictures.
Cuda911
Thanks, Steve. An interesting collection there.

Looks like lots of parts there worth some $$. The question is, do you have time to strip them out and list them for sale? I imagine it's more effort than worth, unless you have a large parcel like this guy, and can let the cars sit around.
stevegm
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jan 24 2015, 11:48 PM) *

Thanks, Steve. An interesting collection there.

Looks like lots of parts there worth some $$. The question is, do you have time to strip them out and list them for sale? I imagine it's more effort than worth, unless you have a large parcel like this guy, and can let the cars sit around.

Ya, I agree. I'm more interested in the tangerine '71. But, $1,500 is a little high, IMHO, given the work it needs. I am wondering if the parts cars could offset the cost of that car to make it make sense. I don't think he will come down on the price much.
Chris Pincetich
Make him an offer you can't refuse beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
I bought a complete silver 73 2.0 for $1 once. That made sense.

5 decomposing 914s would be a tough challenge let alone $3k.

If you decide to go for it, power wash all 5 take lots of pictures and see if you can place 2-3 to others who want to restore them.

$500 is the magic number for a dead 914 IMHO. The tangerine might be worth more depending on real condition, or be a money pit.

Good luck!
etcmss
interiors and other key items may be worth the time, but without condition of chassis known maybe 3K is high.
mepstein
Looking at the pics I'm still at $1k. Lots of work to strip and sell. Lots of rental cost on the trailer if you have limited storage space and need to pick up one week at a time.
Stay the course on your silver car.
914forme
Run don't walk, I used to do this in my youth, and had a barn stash, I still have parts in places around the house that I stumble upon thinking they where all gone.

Suspension stuff, unless it has 5 lugs, worth about nothing, sway bars and a-arms are the one thing.

Engines are all cores as are transmissions. You have no history. Unless you have great dash pads, and other interior items, these are all about toast. And I am not seeing rust free in your future here.

It will take you a long time to recover your 3K investment. Then you add in cost of doing business, and well its a Money Pit! Now if your doing it for the love of the car, by all means go for it.

If they where stored indoors all these years, heck yeah I would pull the trigger on 3K. If your going to pull the trigger at 3K, have him check barns and garages, he might have a few treasures stashed away. And hopefully his wife is sick of seeing this stuff cluttering his life, and you can make a package deal.
Chris H.
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 25 2015, 05:38 AM) *

If you decide to go for it, power wash all 5 take lots of pictures and see if you can place 2-3 to others who want to restore them.

$500 is the magic number for a dead 914 IMHO. The tangerine might be worth more depending on real condition, or be a money pit.

Good luck!

agree.gif And those are $600 each...technically in the ball park, probably worth it in theory. The problem is when there are 5 where do you put them all while you part them out? And how far away are they ? Will it cost a lot to move them all? If you have that kind of space, or can take them one at a time, go for it! And you Accounting for every switch, lever, lens, pedal cluster, gauge, engine, etc, plus the assorted extra "gems" you find on each of them there's enough to make your money back and then some. It just takes time to sell it all. I still have stuff biggrin.gif .

Another idea...could you part the ones that are really bad right there on the guy's property? That white one on the left end is toast. The fog lights are worth $ though.
malcolm2
How could someone that says they are a PORSCHE person do that to 5 cars? Why would anyone do that to any car?

If I had the room and my wife did not know about it.... I would pull the trigger and take them to my barn.

Good luck.
boogie_man
It looks like the earth is winning them back sad.gif Sad as if they were somewhat covered and taken care of, you'd have a chance. RUN
ConeDodger
Walk away.

Too much money... dry.gif
Larmo63
The '71 Tangerine is definitely the star of the show. There will come a time when this find would be a gold mine. That time just isn't now. Only a really dedicated 914 freak would endeavor to pull these and part the four ragged ones out.
cconcepcion
get the VINs and add them to the VIN data base.
cconcepcion
disregard my previous entry...
Johny Blackstain
From what I've seen & read here on this forum, this looks like a gold mine- in England. Be nice to buy them up cheap & stash them inside someplace for the future. Since the vast majority of 914's came to the US we're going to control the 914 market in Europe someday, if not already.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(cconcepcion @ Jan 25 2015, 10:23 AM) *

get the VINs and add them to the VIN data base.

He said he did that... dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(cconcepcion @ Jan 25 2015, 10:25 AM) *

disregard my previous entry...

Ok. bs.gif happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 24 2015, 02:48 PM) *
and a '75

What's the color code on the redish '75?
idea.gif

PS: Save them!

PPS: Looks like at least two '75/'76 cars, the white one and the red one.
MikeInMunich
I must say, it is pretty sad to see them suffering and dying a slow, miserable death. sad.gif

If the 914World community doesn't save them, who will?

This calls for crowd funding and negotiation! ar15.gif

Perhaps some guys would be willing to pay for a few parts up front so you can get some of the money coming in before you pick them up?

I suggest, if you have a space for them, which I presume you must, otherwise you wouldn't even be considering this purchase, then take a bunch of photos of parts which will get some money easily and put a list of those items together in an excel table and add up how you might be able to recoup $1,000-$2,000 quickly.

If you have a hard time fining decent-looking parts to photograph because everything is wasted, well, then, I wouldn't bother with the time and effort. confused24.gif

M.i.M.
Dave_Darling
Why is the 71 supposed to be the star of the show? The orange 73 or 74 (tits on the bumper) looks to be in less-bad shape...

--DD
stevegm
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2015, 02:14 PM) *

Why is the 71 supposed to be the star of the show? The orange 73 or 74 (tits on the bumper) looks to be in less-bad shape...

--DD

The orange one with the tits on the front bumper is the '71 that is in the best shape overall. Someone put the wrong bumper on it.
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 25 2015, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 24 2015, 02:48 PM) *
and a '75

What's the color code on the redish '75?
idea.gif

PS: Save them!

PPS: Looks like at least two '75/'76 cars, the white one and the red one.

I couldn't get the door open enough to get the color code on the redish '75. The VIN on that car is - 4752910025

What ya thinking?
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 25 2015, 01:53 PM) *
What ya thinking?

Raspberry! cheer.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 25 2015, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 25 2015, 01:53 PM) *
What ya thinking?

Raspberry! cheer.gif

Can we find out through the VIN. Maybe through PCA?
Cairo94507
I agree 100% with Mark- $1K for everything.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 25 2015, 02:08 PM) *
Can we find out through the VIN. Maybe through PCA?

The COA would tell you but i think it's easier if you just buy the lot and then look at the paint code.
biggrin.gif
stevegm
Thanks for all the input. I have no interest in being in the used parts business, per se. I just buy 914s when it makes sense. At this price I don't think these make sense. I am tempted by the '71 tangerine car. But $1,500 is still too high, IMHO.
GK914
Call George. He is in the 914 parts business. Maybe he would save them?? confused24.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(GK914 @ Jan 25 2015, 06:30 PM) *

Call George. He is in the 914 parts business. Maybe he would save them?? confused24.gif

IIRC, last year, George posted a survey. He was moving and wondered if he should spend the $ and move his scrap yard or crush them all. The vote was to move the yard. I bet he will not want to add to his yard now.

THese cars have been gone for a long time, no one needed them, so they really should not be missed.... for now. headbang.gif
Dr Evil
Run. As for King G, he always says that about his shit yard, and puts it up for sale, and nobody buys it.

Dont consider the transmissions worth much. It looks like they have been loving the ground. Insides likely crusted, outsides likely eroded. Its been a loooooong time since I parted a 914 so I have no idea about the prices of things, but I do remember the labor to part and sell and that sucks unless you are dedicated. Maybe someone here can scoop them up and pay a finders fee or something. There are good guys here smile.gif
Andyrew
Put em in a boat and ship them across the pond. You can probably fit them all in one container.. Someone would LOVE this over there..
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 26 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Put em in a boat and ship them across the pond. You can probably fit them all in one container.. Someone would LOVE this over there..

Na, bad idea. They ain't worth stromberg.gif over here.

@ original poster- if yer not at all interested in the work to part these cars out I have no idea why you've even considered taking them in the first place. confused24.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Jan 26 2015, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 26 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Na, bad idea. They ain't worth stromberg.gif over here.

@ original poster- if yer not at all interested in the work to part these cars out I have no idea why you've even considered taking them in the first place. confused24.gif

I just wanted to get opinions. I hate to see them rot. I'd love to save them all. But I need to keep my eye on the ball.
naro914
Get Forbes to buy them...ask him for some free work as your finders fee. smile.gif
G e o r g e
yes buy them.... drooley.gif with the 3 parts cars you already have and your 2 runners you will be at double digits pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

on a side note , any more pics of the paint on the early white car?
stevegm
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jan 26 2015, 07:27 PM) *

yes buy them.... drooley.gif with the 3 parts cars you already have and your 2 runners you will be at double digits pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

on a side note , any more pics of the paint on the early white car?

No. Those are all the photos I have. Sorry. I'm gonna let them sit. Like my wife says - I can only drive one car at a time. I don't need anymore. I just hate to see them rot. But, for most of these, I think that ship sailed long ago.
Bulldog9
Someone with access to a barn needs to grab them..... If I had the space I'd do it in a second, but I donthave room for what I have..... and am casing another 911 Targa in my neighborhood that has been sitting under a carport and car cover for 20+ years.

Such a shame to see these sit and rot.........
Silver Surfer
Good find. I want the white one with the stripes! It's never going to be pretty again, but it still has character.

Yes, it's probably easier to just paint those stripes on something that isn't currently desolving into a field, but where's the story in that?
pdlightning
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 25 2015, 03:38 AM) *

Good luck!

RobW, why is the tangerine worth more because of the color?
CptTripps
For $600 a piece....if you had the space...I'd say go for it. You'll likely get 2 running cars out of all of that. Sure you'll have rust repair. We all do. But you could have some gems in parts there.

I'm a sucker for punishment though. At least he's being realistic on the price. Some guys would be asking WAY more than that for them.

See if $2K does the trick. My guess is he doesn't have a lot of people beating down his door to buy them. Maybe post the seller's contact info here so someone else can grab them?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Jan 29 2015, 09:10 AM) *

... why is the tangerine worth more because of the color?

Not because of the color--because of the condition of the other cars. The tangerine one appears to be in OK shape, the others in poor to very poor shape. "Tangerine" is just a label for "that one there with the 73/74 front bumper."

--DD
stevegm
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 29 2015, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(pdlightning @ Jan 29 2015, 09:10 AM) *

... why is the tangerine worth more because of the color?

Not because of the color--because of the condition of the other cars. The tangerine one appears to be in OK shape, the others in poor to very poor shape. "Tangerine" is just a label for "that one there with the 73/74 front bumper."

--DD

Ya, the one in the middle is a '71 (somebody put the wrong bumper on it). I think it was originally tangerine. It is in the best shape, by far. Still needs pans, hell hole work, and as always lingitudinal work. But it seems savable. If you like punishment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.