Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankshaft thrust bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I was going to install the crank into the case today (2.0 GC).

I tried to mate the crank thrust bearing to mark it before sliding it onto the crank, unfortunately bearing would not fit into the case, the distance between the thrust surfaces was too narrow.

the old bearing and it had a gap between the thrust surfaces of 22mm the new one is 21mm

Anyone got any info/advice on this problem?

IPB Image

Dave_Darling
Sounds like the wrong bearing. Where did you get the set from?

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2015, 02:10 PM) *

--DD

It wouldn't be the first time the wrong bearing ended up in a package.
Was the package sealed?
Does it fit the crank?
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 25 2015, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2015, 02:10 PM) *

--DD

It wouldn't be the first time the wrong bearing ended up in a package.
Was the package sealed?
Does it fit the crank?

I got the bearings from a dealer in Sweden, the box was not sealed when I got it, the other bearings fit ok. The bearings are Mahle and labeled for Porsche 914 part nr: SM70245 SPA.
I Googled the number couldn't find any information. Anyone know anything about them?
Java2570
I've got a box of Mahle bearings that are for 1700/1800/2000 Type 4 & 914....the box
has the SM70245 notation on it. These are Brazil made Mahles but it appears the box you have is correct. I would definitely be suspicious of an open box and it would be not uncommon to find incorrect bearings that way. I'd return them to the dealer....
ejm
The bearing may be for a case that has had the thrust surface cut. If the bearings fit otherwise and getting another set is not an easy option you could have the bearing machined to fit the case.
Mark Henry
Personally I wouldn't accept an open box, obviously someone else opened the box and found a wrong bearing. The vendor just turned around a re-sold the incorrect part.
Sure you could machine it to fit, but if you find something else wrong with them you are SOL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.