Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change from late model tach to Silver Dot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Not sure why, but I do like the look of the SILVER DOT gauges. My 75 is going thru a backdating.... 1st bumpers, now gauges. Maybe one day I'll do the exhaust, but now that I have good 75 HE, I doubt it.

Anyway, it turns out that the DOT is not the only thing different. The Silver Dot has a RIGHT turn indicator and a LEFT vs the VW type that has a single light for RGT-LFT blinking. And the bulb holders that came with my silver dot have 2 wire terminals vs. the single wire connection on the non-silver dot VW single blinker indicator.

So I had to start searching for what to do..... I need to give timothyND credit here. He and I talked about it, and came up with this:

Click to view attachment

He said the hazard switch had everything I needed so I should use it. My wire diagram told me that the BLK/GRN (not grn/blk as drawn) wire was for right lights and the BLK/WHT (wht/blk is backwards too) wire was for left lights. I added a double terminal connector and ran a wire to the gauge. I used shrink tubing on the wire and the double connector.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I had to make a ground wire. I jumped it from bulb to bulb then used a different type double spade connector and attached the wire to the ground of the tach.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

To test it, I put an alligator clip on the open connection and clipped it to a brown wire.... TA DA

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

THANK YOU TIM. I'll throw a aktion035.gif to Dave Darling too. In an earlier post today he POO-POOED the use of this: (picture below). He called it a vampire.... I am glad I did not use it. Looks more professional done this way. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Nice work! Thanks for posting this. My Speedhut speedo has a left and right as well. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
timothy_nd28
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.