Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauges: I've been tweeking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Well I just can't leave well enough alone. Another member had the same idea as myself not too long ago, to make the Tach brighter by adding a 3rd light. Well, I am totally in love with these blue LED lights and figured, "while I'm in there....." I am gonna be adding the third light (I need a bigger drill bit), but I was remembering that people were not too thrilled with the red needle on the tach and speedo. So, I am working on painting them white to better reflect the available light.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what paint to use? I have been goofing with different types all night, but not getting the results that I am wanting.

The ever tweeking one wavey.gif
Brando
on the speedo i'll be putting back in the car... white-out. I was bored and had a white-out "pen" handy.

also, for putting the 3rd tach light in, were you able to get a 'sheath' like the other 2 light sockets on the tach? how'd you get it in/attach it?
Jeffs9146
You know the routine!!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Jeff lol2.gif
Dr Evil
I thought it was you, Brando, that was thinking the same thing. White out, however effective, will flake after a short time and cause you to be frusterated at the results. Likewise, it is likely chunky looking and I am going for as close to a factory look as possible. I do have a sheath, but I need a bigger drill bit to make the hole correct. The largest I have is a 11/32. It wont cut it. I wish that I could have done this without dissassembling the gauge, but if any metal flakes were to get into the electronics it would render the gauge useless.

Jeff,
I'll take pics as soon as I have some favorable results (if).
bob91403
For painting your needles, try some parking lot paint. You know, the same stuff they use to paint the lane lines on the streets. Very durable, highly reflective.
Dr Evil
Bob,
I was thnking along the same lines, but found that to be going in the wrong direction. The needle works/looks best when it is flat like the original paint. The other problem that I found with that type of paint (which was the first that I tried) was that it was incredibly thik and viscous. I am in need of something that goes on thin and dries with a flat finish. I think that I have it and will be trying it today.

.....more to come.....
bd1308
has anyone tried the White-out dry tape stuff? I've used it one time when i was bored and that was a BIOTCH to get off of my laptop screen.....I was trying to hide the avatars wink.gif I think it might work.....
Aaron Cox
why not use black lights? laugh.gif

sorry mikey biggrin.gif
jwalters
Testors plastic model paint--flat colored--goes on very smooth and will stay forever---
Dr Evil
Aaron, I have a source for black light LEDs for our gauges. The thought has crossed my mind idea.gif

Damnit jwalters! That was what I was gonna try. I still am, but you have ruined the majic. Yup, the moment is gone.
I remember using this stuff as a kid. Also, model rocket spray paint will work, or any r/c type light paint.
Dr Evil
Booyah! Success! I have managed to install a factory looking 4th light into my gauge. Its the one on the top between the two for the turn signal lights. I had to tell you because it looks like it belongs! wink.gif
Aaron Cox
ahhh....the evil front porch laugh.gif
Dr Evil
Innerds
Dr Evil
Yup, the front poorch (misspelled on purpose).

All done before the Super Bowl smilie_pokal.gif I have the paints and will be doing that experiment later....if I'm not too drunk beer3.gif
bondo
Get yourself an airbrush.. opens up more options.
Aaron Cox
mike.... did you buy a new bezel? or are you reusing the old one....

its a PITA to uncrimp dry.gif
Dr Evil
Buy a new bezel? Your kidding, right? I have the majic touch and know how to remove and reuse the bezels. Nut, I do have a couple of spares incase I goof.
Dr Evil
Its alive! The latest and greatest innovations from my evil 914 lab are a success. I have painted the needle white (much better), and the third light for the speedo works like a champ smilie_pokal.gif

Proof:
2 light standard (before, how inadequate sad.gif . Can lighting be described as flacid? ) Note the dead zone between 3 and 5K. This is with the white needle and it looks better thatn stock.
Dr Evil
After with the 3rd light on. The fact that you can see the needle is testament to how much better white needles are with blue/white light. My camera is sooo crapy that it would not pick up the orange needle.
Aaron Cox
mike... with the super white LED's i have no prob with any gauge smilie_pokal.gif
mattillac
what about some of the super glowing paint that is used on some pistol sights/watch numbers? it glows for hours with just a little bit of light. you can buy it from gun supply stores or catalogs. it would probably look pretty awesome with some black light LED's too. idea.gif
Dr Evil
with the super white LED's i have no prob with any gauge

Gee, thanks for your contribution rolleyes.gif You will still have a dead spot between the 3-5k on the tach. There is a lot of blockage there, unless you have the later model gauge which I am not 100% sure about. White is boring. I have 20 of them incase, but my stuff is looking awsome.

Matt,
That is a good idea. Maybe I will assemble another set for the hell of it and use black lights and strontium paint idea.gif
StratPlayer
I like the blue lights,, I did that to mine including the center console gauges. Looks great, I like the idea of a 3rd light in there... great stuff. smilie_pokal.gif
AZ914
Great work!! Keep it up! I just put the white-LEDs in my dash gauges this weekend. It looks much better but extra light is always a plus!

Can that be added to your 'clean/reset gauges' service?
Dr Evil
Jason,
Yup, it sure can. Most of the cost of doing the gauge work is dissassembly and reassembly. So, while your in there...... idea.gif I will be doing this to every gauge from now on. I always hated the dead spot in the tach dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.