Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod U-Joint Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Alright I must be missing something but I can't figure out how the pin comes out of the U-Joint in the side shifter shift bar. Pelican tech article doesn't even mention it.

user posted image
Brando
copper pin there?

mallet time.
John
Brando seems to be kidding there. It's not copper.

Looks kinda rusty on the end.

That pin will press out one way or another.

I use a press to press mine in/out. It doesn't take that much time or pressure.

Perhaps you could seek out a FLAPS and take your new bushings with you. You could press the pin out, change bushings and re-assemble in less than 10 minutes.

Am I missing something? Your bushings don't APPEAR to be sloppy (or is it just the angle).

Why are you disassembling it?
Joe Ricard
Don't push on the aluminum part they can break. push on the plastic part and pin part. Cheap way is a deep well socket on the plastic part and nut on the pin and squeeze in vise.
jim912928
I just did this last october...Do what Joe said. Socket on the plastic part....bolt on the opposite end against the pin and put it in a vice. pushes the pin right out through the socket. If you do anything else against the aluminum part it will crack!
Rhodes71/914
Actually those bushings aren't sloppy at all. I am in the middle of an engine swap and going from tail to side shifter and figured I might as well do the bushings while it is apart.

This vise thing was the method I was thinking of using just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of retainer holding that pin in.

Maybe I should just leave those since they still feel pretty snug. idea.gif
ClayPerrine
If you do take it apart, make sure that you take a chisel and booger up the center of the pin. If you don
't, the pin will back out of the bushings over time. Putting some raised rough areas on the middle of the pin will hold it in place.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.