Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh air Blower rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
dug into the fresh air blower while waiting for cases to come back from Ollies. Got it apart cleaned it up and, with the help of a post on the forum, checked it all out (runs great after 45 years), but the flapper valve seals were trash. What was left was deteriorated and crumbling. Take a look.

So off to Jo Ann's fabric where I found some black 6mm "Foamies" sheet material - perfect match! Cut out the ID hole with a 1-5/8 hole saw. The OD was almost exactly the size of the fuel probe ring (that I also was going through). Voila, new flapper seals... and concourse correct! poke.gif

Hope it helps someone out there.
malcolm2
Nice find. piratenanner.gif You could probably make that stuff work on the defrost vent sealing ring too.

Beats $9 each... #28 HERE
gereed75
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 28 2015, 08:59 AM) *

Nice find. piratenanner.gif You could probably make that stuff work on the defrost vent sealing ring too.

Beats $9 each... #28 HERE

The hi density foamie stuff is available in thinner (I think 3mm) and also with adhesive on one side. Available at any hobby store (Pat Catan's etc). Not sure what the foam is made from (probably PVC, maybe neoprene) but has lots of use's.

Is there a seal between the blower #10 and housing #1????? Mine did not have one but there is some evidence that there may have been one at some point.

By the way, you can fix cracks in this type of plastic fabrication by wicking a few drops of solvent (acetone or usually carb or brake cleaner) into the crack and hold it together until dry. Don't use a lot of solvent, it will dissolve the plastic!!
partwerks
What was the O.D. that the two foamies were cut at? I'm guessing around 2 3/8" by approximately what it would measure sitting in the housing, where it nests at?

Also, where the fan bolts down with the two bolts, mine also looks like at one prehistoric time, there was something residing there.

I soaked the rusty flappers/linkage, in apple cider vinegar, and they came out nice and shiny again.

I removed the 4 prongs from the motor, but doesn't seem to want to pull out of there. Is there anything else that I need to do to remove it. I don't want to just start forcing the issue.
914Sixer
914 Rubber has the complete kit with new seals.
Mikey914
Actually I have most. I'm working on the seal that goes around the motor and housing now.
partwerks
I'm guessing that the O.D. size I would need to cut it, would be the dimension that is where the flap nests in at, which looks to be about 2 7/16"?

I removed the squirrel cage fan to get access to the motor. I used a heat gun to warm it around the shaft to make it a bit more pliable, and easier to come off.

I had my electrician buddy remove the old solder, and resolder it. He also wiggled in there with some narrow emory cloth, I think over the armature, to smooth out the ridges. Got in there with a Q tip swab to remove any old dirt. Runs good now. Dumped some lube as best we could into the bearings.

I did also get that 6 mm, and 2 mm foamies at Jo Ann Fabrics. I was thinking of using the 2 mm for what appears to be an old seal, that goes where the 2 bolts are??
914_teener
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 21 2015, 08:58 PM) *

Actually I have most. I'm working on the seal that goes around the motor and housing now.

Mark,

Do you have the seal that goes to the grille?

Mine is total trash....just took the tank out.
partwerks
It appears there was maybe a seal between the housings, and so I used the 2 mm foamies, and cut a spacer for it as well.

Also, anybody have any pictures of how the oval, on the control box sits down against the metal?

In this article, the pictures from about #3, on down looks like it is just sitting down, but looks like there is a tab that you would think would be clipped to something, using those wire clips?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=86942&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.