Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bob91403
I'm about to redo my clutch, and have a question regarding methods for transmission removal. I've got a nice big floor jack, and have purchased a transmission adapter for it. The problem is, the damn thing is so tall, I'd have to get my car about three feet off the ground to use it. I was thinking about making a shorter, simpler, bracket out of 2X4's. Have you built your own transmission cradle? I'd appreciate any suggestions and pictures you might have. Thanks. idea.gif
davep
My experience, having done several, is to drop the whole thing. I found aligning the tranny to the engine while the engine was still in the car very difficult, even with a friend helping. My friend's assistance was probably negative at that point since it took hours.

Anyway, I just use the trolley jack as-is and lift on the engine case just next to the tranny. I sit on the floor with my legs on either side of the jack. I can drop the engine out, all by myself, in about one hour. Installing the new clutch should take only an hour. I replace the flywheel, the clutch, the TO bearing, its bushings, and the cup in the fork. New bearing in the flywheel, O-ring, felt ring, loack washer and new bolts. The bolts should be Loctited. I reused bolts one time on a customer car and the flywheel came loose and ground up the tranny. That cost me big bucks since I was away at a Parade that week, and another shop had to do the work.

When installing the engine it is best to have help. Use some sheet metal guides to help the engine tin over the nuts on the inboard suspension points. Good luck.
machina
I support the motor like in the top pic and raise the tranny up on the ATV lift like in the bottom pic.

Just get the back of the car way up, makes it easy to work on, I can sit up under it.
TheCabinetmaker
Pulled one yesterday. Used my floor jack. Took about half an hour, but the bottom two nuts were missing. ohmy.gif
spare time toys
best way I have found is with a set up like Clay has smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
Note to self one of these at home would make life easier wink.gif
VegasRacer
Dropping the tranny, even at the track, is not that big of a deal.
A standard floor jack plus a couple more jack stands are all that you need.
An extra set of hands are helpful when it's time to put it back in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.