Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: understeer/oversteer at the same time!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
You folks will like this one....

I'm at the PCA-GGR auto-x#3 this weekend. The first 2 events I've won my class and placed in the top 5. I'm competing for points in GGR and using neighboring regions' auto-x's for testing out settings.

So all day long I'm way off the pace...cars that I usually am quicker than are faster. I try changing bar settings, tire pressures, lines...and I'm getting massive understeer entering corners and during mild sweepers the rear end wants to come around like a mutha....I never get the setup right and don't even show up on the leader board....

I get home, unload the car and change the wheels to the rollers....and find that all 4 slicks are corded...not marginally, but ripped to shreds....I guess I found the wear limit for Hoosier slicks! It's a 2 driver car and this was my 6th event on the tires. So maybe it's 5 or even 4 events per set I'm thinking....

I had a new set on the trailer, but I never looked at the tires closely since they were covered in gravel and crap like they always are at auto-x's around here. All I had to do was change the tires and I may have had a different end to the story.....

I hate being stupid..... rolleyes.gif

Do slicks go away that quick from run to run? They felt fine the week before....

Bill P.
Demick
Bill

I was in the same boat as you. I had 3rd overall fastest time of day at the last autox, wasn't even in the hunt this time around. My tires are also on their last legs, but not quite corded yet. Golden Gate Fields is REALLY hard on tires, and REALLY low on grip. I could not figure out how to get my car to stick. Apparantly, others managed to find a way to get around fast. I think that horsepower really paid off on this track as it was a fast course, and nobody was getting through the turns quickly (where the 914's usually make up time).
Let's just pray that we get the permits to go back to Alameda this season. That place is awesome.

Demick
'74 2.0
Brad Roberts
Great story Bill !! clap56.gif

We have all (BTDT).. negative camber will show some tire left on the outside..and we get lazy and dont look at the inside.

I really have to get at least a autoX car together. I wanted to stop by on Saturday.. but I was beat from running around all day.

B
nine14cats
Hey Guys,

Glad to hear tongue.gif it's happenned before to other folks than myself. Golden Gate fields was tough on tires!

Do racing slicks go away without warning faster than dot-r's? I'm staying on the canti's cuz I like the feel, but I was curious....

B,

I plan on trying to make one of the upcoming Redwood Region Auto-x's at the Santa Rosa airport. You'll have to try my car out if you can make it!
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. keep us informed or post some dates on the BBS. I'll come up and help you out..

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 3 2003, 01:57 PM)
I really have to get at least a autoX car together.
B

Yes you do. Start off small...you know...parking lot stuff....then work your way up to the big time. You're young, you can do it. biggrin.gif

I seem to remember you saying that you were gonna trailer some kinda AX beastie up here and lay a whuppin' on me. What? Waiting till I'm to decrepit to drive? cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
Careful what you ask for JP. Big Bad Brad could drag out the M471 car with the 10" Hoosiers, 300hp 2.9L six, lightened to 1500lbs just to whipyourass.

when you coming up to Bremerton?? June 21st? or July 5th?

Geoff
seanery
I didn't get a chance to see that car, does it have a injun in it?
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 4 2003, 05:17 PM)
I didn't get a chance to see that car, does it have a injun in it?

nope sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.