Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '71 Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dlee6204
I thought I would share my most recent project. I picked this car up a couple weeks ago on craigslist. It's a '71 w/ 78K on the clock. It's definitely in project form but one thing that I liked about it is that it is pretty original and unmolested... no goofy PO repairs, all stock parts, relatively low miles plus I love the early style 914 w/ steelies wub.gif . Its been stored in a barn for many years. It does have some rust but its fairly manageable which is pretty good for East coast standards.

The plan right now is to keep it all stock and just create a nice original driver.

Bringing it home...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The battery tray has some light surface rust
Click to view attachment

Here's the underside of the passenger long. I was able to jack the car up and door gaps didn't change piratenanner.gif .... Heck, most 914s I bring home don't even have a place to jack it up anymore.
Click to view attachment
stevegm
Very cool. I really like the early cars with steelies too. I have a '71 that I am going to put the original wheels on too.
dlee6204
Tonight I removed the battery tray and cleaned out the hell hole. There was quite a bit of crap buried down there so it was nice to see what's underneath.

Click to view attachment

Overall not too bad... Better than I thought. In the coming weeks I will pull the engine to refresh so I will repair this at that time. I should be able to patch everything and shouldn't need a new engine shelf.
Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
beerchug.gif
Doug saves another one!
When are you going to bring the unmentionable white car over? biggrin.gif
Erben914
"The battery tray has some light surface rust"
Um. I know I'm from California but that battery tray is totally wasted dude! aktion035.gif lol-2.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 29 2015, 08:17 PM) *

no goofy PO repairs,

It was the cheap welder I had. Really! lol-2.gif
And lack of skill set.
dlee6204
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 29 2015, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 29 2015, 08:17 PM) *

no goofy PO repairs,

It was the cheap welder I had. Really! lol-2.gif
And lack of skill set.

lol-2.gif Way to point yourself out there Bob. poke.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jan 29 2015, 08:54 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Doug saves another one!
When are you going to bring the unmentionable white car over? biggrin.gif

FourBlades

Looks like a good one! piratenanner.gif

John
dlee6204
Today I pulled off the rockers to see what was hiding.

Lots of debris trapped on both sides. Driver side looks great though. Jackpoint will still need to be replaced but that was expected.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The driver side will needs a little more work. What was left of the old tube was being held together by dirt. I already have some new metal from RestorationDesign on order.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Note the extra wires. They are for the fuel pump which was relocated upfront. I'll likely keep the pump in the back.
dlee6204
This week I also got the injectors sent off to the cleaned, I sent off a flywheel to be lightened, and I have been getting together some parts to go the powder coaters and platers. Slowly but surely.

Random picture of the interior.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I got a package from Restoration Design today.

welder.gif

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I also got the injectors back from being cleaned. These were in real rough shape but they cleaned up real nice. Unfortunately one of them couldn't be saved so I'll be on the hunt for some more cores.

Before:

Click to view attachment

After:

Click to view attachment
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 5 2015, 04:21 PM) *

I also got the injectors back from being cleaned. These were in real rough shape but they cleaned up real nice. Unfortunately one of them couldn't be saved so I'll be on the hunt for some more cores.

Before:

Click to view attachment

After:

Click to view attachment

and if you need some 71 front suspension parts I have a relatively complete front suspension sans the strut inserts (which were bad) including the 320I brake upgrade. you pay shipping you can have........ My 71 just received the 911s vented brakes and all the trimmings..... just test drove the five-bolt conversion and all checked out........ have fun. and marry a wealthy woman.........
dlee6204
I finally found time to pull the motor and started breaking things down. No real surprises found but now I can finally start rust repair.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The motor is locked up and I think I found why... The other three intakes look good but I will know more once I pull the heads.

Click to view attachment

Also bought a 1.7L muffler that I finished painting.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Looking good! I like the OE muffler look.
KELTY360
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 29 2015, 05:17 PM) *

The battery tray has some light surface rust
Click to view attachment

...and by light, you mean that you can actually see light thru it?

This is a nice save; you've caught it before it became an epic rescue.
Cairo94507
This car appears to be in amazingly good condition smile.gif
dlee6204
I cleaned up the heat exchangers yesterday. They cleaned up real nice. Also got a small package from 914Rubber today. As always great stuff. shades.gif

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Well I started digging into some of the rust over the weekend. The plan was to replace both sail panels but after digging into it, I'm going to have to replace a little bit more. Both sail panels have rust in exactly same place so although I only cut open the driver's side I'm going to have to do the same things to passenger side. There's a small area on the inner sail support I will have to patch. The door jamb is rusted by the vent tube as well as down by the sill panel. I'm going to order new door jamb panels soon. I've done my fair share of panel forming but its much easier to just open up the wallet and buy replacement panels. I'll be removing the front of the fender which will give better access to the jackpoint too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
I also found some previous bodywork damage on the driver's side fender. Quite a few holes with filler. icon8.gif Surprise!

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
This project is going to be on hold for a while. My wife and I just bought a small farm so my time will be focused on that. I also have to convert our new barn into a shop so lots of things going on.

Tucked away in the new barn for now.

Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
Congrats Doug!
Where about is your new place?
dlee6204
Nevermind
dlee6204
I finally had some time to get back to this project a little bit. Hoping to keep chugging away at it as part of the build-off.

I started by removing part of the fender on the driver's side. I had previously removed the sail panel area.

I drilled all the spot welds to remove the piece.
Click to view attachment

Now I have easy access to do the repairs.
Click to view attachment

Here's what I'm working with for the jackpoint area.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I had to remove the bad material which meant more spot welds. I thought I would share how I drill out spot welds. I've never had good results with spot weld cutters so I just use simple drill bits. A 1/8" and 5/16", also a hammer and chisel. Nothing fancy.

I start by drilling through the first layer and into the second layer with the 1/8" bit. I do not drill all the way through.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I then open up the little craters with the 5/16" bit. You know you successfully drilled the spot welds when you can clearly see an inner ring The metal separates very easily at this point.

Click to view attachment

And all that's left is a small divot in the base layer. These can easily be filled later on if desired.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
So I used this technique to remove all the bad material from the jackpoint area. That part of the long is multiple layers thick so I only removed one layer. This was extremely important IMO because my inner layer of metal was still is good shape. There was no need to cut it out and risk structural integrity.

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif Nice work.
mrfourteen
Another yellow one in the Build Off.
Looks like a challenging build,but you seem to have it well in hand.
East coast should get bonus points, or maybe a handicap system. smoke.gif
dlee6204
So I am finally getting back to this build, between remodeling my house, my DD blowing its motor, vacation, etc. I have had zero extra time but things are finally smoothing out.

I got started today by getting the motor on the engine stand. I first had to make an adapter ring so that it could bolt up. I drew something up and got it cut out at work on the laser. Came out alright and it will serve its purpose. It was quite the chore it lift it by myself with oil spewing out of it but I got it done.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Started to tear it down. The plan is to tear it all the way down without splitting the case, clean it, and simply refresh it with new rings and refurbish the heads.

Click to view attachment

I couldn't find my oil wrench for the life of me so I had to improvise.
Click to view attachment

So it didn't appear that the engine had ever been rebuilt but upon removing the oil pump I found that the camshaft has bolts... My experience is that the stock cam has rivets. Can anyone confirm this?
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Also just because I haven't had time to work on the car, I still have been buying parts for it... mostly from 914Rubber

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
One more thing... I found out the speedometer is broken so it probably doesn't have 78K miles on it. blink.gif laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 10 2016, 07:44 PM) *

Started to tear it down. The plan is to tear it all the way down without splitting the case, clean it, and simply refresh it with new rings and refurbish the heads.

Click to view attachment

So it didn't appear that the engine had ever been rebuilt but upon removing the oil pump I found that the camshaft has bolts... My experience is that the stock cam has rivets. Can anyone confirm this?
Click to view attachment

I'm sure the stock cam had rivets. I can't see a number on the end of the cam to give you an indication of what is in there, It may be stock and the PO just replaced the cam gear. Something is different looking about that cam gear.

Not to want to spend your money for you, but, with the miles showing and broken speedo you may want to rethink not splitting the cases and refreshing the bearings.
Plus gives you a chance to see what you really have..

Ya know, while you're in there.

JMHO.

nice looking longs, you were lucky there.

dlee6204
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Feb 11 2016, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 10 2016, 07:44 PM) *

[attachmentid=54035

[attachmentid=54036

I'm sure the stock cam had rivets. I can't see a number on the end of the cam to give you an indication of what is in there, It may be stock and the PO just replaced the cam gear. Something is different looking about that cam gear.

Not to want to spend your money for you, but, with the miles showing and broken speedo you may want to rethink not splitting the cases and refreshing the bearings.
Plus gives you a chance to see what you really have..

Ya know, while you're in there.

JMHO.

nice looking longs, you were lucky there.

Yeah I don't really disagree with you on that. I'm going to give it a closer look tonight and go from there. Hopefully there would be some rebuild markings somewhere on it.
dlee6204
Well I finished tearing down the motor and got it all cleaned up. Heads are going out this week to get refreshed. In the meantime I need to get some powder coating done so I can start reassembling this thing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Side note. Also scored some new early style brake rotors.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I got my heads back today from being rebuilt. I just had a refresh done on them including getting them blasted, new guides, valve grind, and surfaced. Came back looking great. Now I can start assembling the motor one of these days.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Finally some more progress!

Originally I hoped to just refresh the top end of the motor but upon checking out the motor some more, I decided to go ahead and split the case. There was a nice thick layer of sludge on the bottom so I'm glad I did.

Overall the motor was in pretty good shape though. All bearing surfaces looked great and there were no hidden surprises so the plan now is to clean everything up, replace bearings, and start assembly. I also took advantage of the situation and replaced the 5 main galley plugs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I also got some rust repair done on the driver's jack point and unfortunately I didn't take the best of pictures.

I started with this.
Click to view attachment

I then welded up a circle plate to cover the hole. The jack tube welds to this plate.
Click to view attachment

I then added a second layer and I cut a square hole in the middle for the jack tube.
Click to view attachment

I used a rocker panel to ensure everything lined up and then welded on the outer cover.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I finished by cleaning up the inner sail panel area with a wire wheel and then coated everything with Ospho. Once it dries I will clean the area up and start fitting the sail panel and new door jamb. piratenanner.gif Progress feels good.

Click to view attachment
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
dlee6204
Today I was able to trim and fit the new sail panel, new door jamb, and the old section of fender. Taking my time and making one cut at a time, all the panels came together surprisingly well. Everything is currently held together with sheet metal screws and ready for welding. I'm going to apply primer to the back of everything before any welding happens. I still have to enlarge the vent hole.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The replacement sail panel fit like a glove with very little tweaking needed. The new door jamb fit very well at the top but the bottom will need some modification.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
One of the tasks I had to do to the door jamb was to relocate the striker plate for the door. I drilled out the spot welds on the retaining strap on the back of the old jamb. I then used part of the old jamb to locate my holes. I then installed the striker and adjusted the door. Then welded on the retaining strap again.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Door gap is looking good. shades.gif

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Progress: I got the engine halves back together and started putting some of the items back on it. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Also started tearing into the engine bay. Remove the Trunk lid pivot from both sides and also the engine shelf. The white stuff is from an ospho treatment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I started tearing into the passenger side over the weekend. Very typical rust.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
The infamous glob of goo that causes so much rust.

Click to view attachment

The jackpoint. I'm going to have to dig a little deeper than I thought in this area but its still very manageable. The inside long will need a small patch and I'll replace the outer completely.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.