Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB NOS Torsion Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Cairo94507
Hi everyone:
I am looking for a set of NOS torsion bars for my '71 Six. They are 17mm bars. If you happen to have a set sitting around let me know.

Thank you all. Michael
914Sixer
I think AA had some a while back. Around $200 each.
Cairo94507
Thanks Mark.
Cairo94507
As I have thus far struck out, I am checking with SwayAway to see if they can make a set of 17mm torsion bars. Eric (at SwayAway) says they don't stock that small size but he did say they have made them in the past. He is checking to see what it would cost to make up a set. I will let you all know the outcome.
bfrymire
Forgive my ignorance... are the /4 and different than the /6? I have a used set of /4 sitting on the shelf.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Feb 2 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Forgive my ignorance... are the /4 and different than the /6? I have a used set of /4 sitting on the shelf.

Yes, the spline count on the 6 is higher than the 4. I think the 4 torsion bars are 28 or 29 splines and the 6 torsion bare are 32 splines.
dougcoup
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 31 2015, 11:10 AM) *

Hi everyone:
I am looking for a set of NOS torsion bars for my '71 Six. They are 17mm bars. If you happen to have a set sitting around let me know.

Thank you all. Michael

I have a set of my 4 fly. Also have set off 911. I will pull from shop and confirm mm size
warrenoliver
I have a set of used ones. I will have to check the spline count and the diameter
Cairo94507
They should be about 17.5mm and no rust at all on them. Mine had some rust so I want to replace them.
Cairo94507
Hi Greg - Thanks for pointing out the NOS bars for sale. Unfortunately they are both left side bars and I have been advised by various people on this board whom I respect that I should not just turn the one bar around and put it in backwards.

I had originally bought those bars and then cancelled the sale due to the advise I received. Not saying they are right and Perry is wrong, just that I have been advised not to do that and I will listen to those I know.
Cairo94507
This just gets crazy.

Chapter one- I originally bought these and then heard from some of the seriously knowledgable experts on this site that I needed to re-think that. I then spoke with the seller, Perry (terrific guy and seller) and explained my concern and cancelled the purchase. Fortunately he had not shipped them or cashed my check yet. These two bars, both stamped L, are NOS and have never been installed.

(I had received advise from credible people here that you can't interchange them and put the left one on the right.)

Chapter two - I speak with Paragon and they assure me they have tons of experience with this and the only reason Porsche stamped one L and one R was so if you removed them you could return them to the same side and thus not have problem as once installed they experience force in one direction mostly. Paragon assures me that I am perfectly fine buying these and installing them. So, I get a hold of Perry, did I mention this guy is just a great guy? I explain what Paragon said and again buy the torsion bars.

Chapter three - Not one hour after I speak with Perry and have bought the bars (again) I get a message from Paragon that they may have to eat their words! WTF? So at this point I am buying those NOS bars and hoping this all works out. I will speak with Paragon again on Monday, time permitting.

Chapter four - I had placed a call to SwayAway to see if they had or could make up a set of stock diameter Six bars and they said they would see what they can do and have not called me back. That was a week ago BTW. I gave them my cell, email, hoping they would get back to me. I may have to call them again.

Feel free to add your experience to this. Do you believe it is OK to take a NOS bar and flip it around and install it on the side for which it is not marked?
mepstein
I'm no expert but I was under the impression that booth sides are symmetrical. They don't get flipped since they are identical. But I could be completely wrong biggrin.gif

How are current replacements sold?
Cairo94507
Hi Mark- I wish I knew. When I said "flipped" I meant for the right side, assuming (for argument) that these are somehow tensioned to be installed one way, if you flipped one bar and put the end marked with the L in first (one the right side) that in theory would keep them tensioned or wound in the same direction. But I am a complete lay person when it comes to this.

I was counting on the advice of the guys who make these things and I am still not done with this. Tomorrow I want to speak with Paragon and SwayAway.

IronHillRestorations
PM sent, I haven't shipped yet and I'll do whatever.

I'm curious to see what comes of this. I've got three sets of two "L's" out there and never got a call back.
GregAmy
Can you put three of the lefts together to make a right...?
Cairo94507
HHHMMMMM...... slap.gif
Cairo94507
OK, Jason at Paragon told me after researching this that it is not correct to flip a left bar and put it in the right side. He spoke with SwayAway and others and they all say the same. BTW, Eric a PMB and Cap'n Krusty are in that camp too.

SwayAway is making me a set of the correct torsion bars for my Six. I will make sure to update this thread as this comes along.

BTW, this is not Perry's fault at all. He was a terrific guy to deal with and I would buy from him again w/o question.

Rob-O
I've got a set. Used of course, and were painted over in the late 80's and have been sitting in my garage ever since. PM and I'll try to get a shot of them and sent it to you.

By the way, hope you're feeling better! smile.gif
Bleyseng
I have a used set of 914/6 T bars if you want them. Don't think they have ever been painted either....
Cairo94507
Bleyseng I sent you a PM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.