Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buying a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bucket
I would like to buy a 914 for a daily driver. Now that would be ok for most people but I drive 200 miles a day on the freway. How comfy are the seats. I havent gone and looked at the car I have found. but I now it needs a motor rebuild. 4 cylinder. how much should I pay for a motor and how much should I pay for a car that needs one if every thing is up to par with the year. (not shure of the year).

Chris unsure.gif
r_towle
These cars are tough to price without looking at them.

If you are short, you should be fine with long drives in the stock seats.

You should consider posting more info here and ask if there is anyone with some 914 experience that would be willing to do a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) to help you make an informed decision.

If you need a new motor, budget around 4-5k torebuild it to last, or less depending upon your needs.

With that said, you should be able to get a daily driver for around 3500-4k from what I have seen them selling for...these prices will get you a 30 year old car that needs work and maintainingto keep it a good solid daily driver..

Get some local advice, take pics and post here...you will get alot of advice on the car that way...when you get closer to buying it, get some help either from a local 914club member, a local PCA member, or a knowledgable garage. lots of options..lots of people willing to help.

Good Luck
Rich
xsboost90
honda accord for commute- $1000

a decent 914 to work on in spare time- $4000.

thats the way to go.
Bucket
Is anybody near Tucson AZ? unsure.gif

I'll try to get some pics.
914GT
QUOTE (Bucket @ Feb 6 2005, 07:44 PM)
Is anybody near Tucson AZ? unsure.gif

I'll try to get some pics.

Hi Chris

I'm in Tucson, and there are a couple others in town that hang out here too. Feel free to check out my car. I've got two now, and may get another one this week.
BMartin914
One thing about these cars you need to consider - RUST
Joe Bob
30 years too late for a daily ride....buy a Honduh....914 for play.
redshift
QUOTE (Bucket @ Feb 6 2005, 08:57 PM)
I would like to buy a 914 for a daily driver. Now that would be ok for most people but I drive 200 miles a day on the freway. How comfy are the seats. I havent gone and looked at the car I have found. but I now it needs a motor rebuild. 4 cylinder. how much should I pay for a motor and how much should I pay for a car that needs one if every thing is up to par with the year. (not shure of the year).

Chris unsure.gif

The seats are not comfy.

200 miles per day... times 5... times 50.. so every two years, you'll rebuild the 6 thousand + dollar engine, and do... enough valve adjustments to actually grow the extra joints we all only joke about.

smile.gif

It's a 30 something year old car....

I drive around 40 miles per day on interstate, my ass is 40 years old, and when I get home, some nights, I need a 40 just to get unbent.

Welcome! Destroy another car!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.