Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antenna Location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Steve Snyder
Anyone know why some 914s have the radio antenna on the right front fender as opposed to the left? I do not see any correlation with model year or market region specs. For instance, here is a photo of an alleged "Creamsicle" (US Spec - 1974) currently for sale in the classifieds (antenna on right):

Click to view attachment

...and here is another US Spec 1974 914 with the antenna placed on the left fender:

Click to view attachment

Can anyone enlighten me as to what determined location, or did the Karmann factory merely have a single drill located between two production lines? biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
As far as I know there is no "factory" location for the antenna. Radios were either dealer or buyer installed so it was up to the actual installer as to where the antenna was placed. Only factory location I know of is the 916, which had the antenna embedded in the windshield.
Tom_T
It was supposed to be done according the the service manual/service bulletins, & usually happened, that the power antenna went on the right & manual one on the left fender.

But sometimes the AC option had dealers switch that, & then there were some dealers who just did what they wanted.

I think if you check any 914 with a factory option radio, you'll find that those followed that set-up correctly.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rob-O
Some (most?) years there was a small plastic cap inside the front trunk area on the driver's side inner fender. Removing that cap was to allow the antenna cable to pass through the body without having to drill any holes. There is another similar cap just behind the radio to allow the cable to be run into the cabin.
Steve Snyder
Thank you for the responses. The manual v. power placement makes some sense, though if I was a dealer, I would be tempted to install all antennas on the left precisely because of the pre-drilled hole inside that fender for the cable.
Rob-O
I believe the directions even had exact measurements as to where on the left fender to drill for the antenna hole. Too far forward and the antenna would be visible in the wheel well looking at the side of the car. Too far back and you drill through a bulkhead where the inner fender, cabin sheet metal and the door framing all met.
JeffBowlsby
dbl dbl
JeffBowlsby
As has been noted, the factory provided a hole in the fender well and even a grommet on the left (drivers side) fender, by the hood hinge bracket. Radio suppliers including at least Motorola and Blaupunkt provided instructions on how to install the radios. At least Blaupunkt even offered a template to locate the antenna hole. See attached. I have photos and examples of the radio install kits on my Classics website on the "Accessories" webpage if you need more info.

Rob-O
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 8 2015, 07:09 PM) *

As has been noted, the factory provided a hole in the fender well and even a grommet on the left (drivers side) fender, by the hood hinge bracket. Radio suppliers including at least Motorola and Blaupunkt provided instructions on how to install the radios. At least Blaupunkt even offered a template to locate the antenna hole. See attached. I have photos and examples of the radio install kits on my Classics website on the "Accessories" webpage if you need more info.

smilie_pokal.gif
JmuRiz
Best option is to fill in the hole and use a hidden antenna smile.gif
Then again I also had my windshield washers and sed markers filled in too.
PancakePorsche
FWIW, I had a early 74 model which had Blaupunkt Frankfurt and antenna on the right side. I never saw another like it since. Dealer discretion perhaps.
914Sixer
Dealers were fast and loose in the 70's. Lots of stuff was done in the name of profit..
Pat Garvey
Funny! Jeff's template brought it back for me.
August 8, 1972, my 914 was ready for delivery from Classic Porsche/Audi (Cincinnati). Turned in my very rust '65 Beetle (which became a dunebuggy), and walked around the Bahia Beauty, making a pre-delivery check of EVERYTHING (because dealers were scum then). Other than the wrong wheels and tires, everything looked Ok. This guy comes over with a parchment template that he lays on the drivers' side fender. Starts getting ready to drill a hole for the radio antennae that I didn't order! Thankfully, I caught him in time, because I had no radio option. His response was (sic) "boss told me to do it to all the cars".

I have a radio (since 1973), but have never needed to drill a hole for an antennae. Have me little secret for getting reception.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.