Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
I think its time to start looking for rear shocks, Whats a good pair for a street only car.
r_towle
Koni, adjustable, Sachs oil filled or vote oil filled.

The oil ones are the least expensive.
Cairo94507
How about a set of Bilstein Sports?
struckn
I'm getting ready to install SACHS which are the replacement OEM Touring that the car was originally designed around. If you are looking to Race or Autocross the Koni's would be better but very expensive.

One thing to note is the SACHS do not come with a Lower Spring Perch so you will need to find them if you don't already have them. I ran into this as I'm replacing KYB's that had a Perch designed as an intregal part of the Shock and the original Perches were missing.
Dave_Darling
The Bilstein Sports will be on the hard side. They'll be good for handling, and help control the movement of the rear suspension, but they'll be a bit harsh. The standard Bilsteins should be somewhat softer.

Don't overlook Boge shocks. I think they were one of the OEM options? They should give a relatively nice ride.

The Koni Sport shocks are adjustable, but I have found that even on the "soft" setting they are pretty hard. Not sure how they compare to the others, though, as I haven't done a back-to-back comparison.

One setup that the guys at High Performance House in Redwood City used to recommend for street cars with stock suspensions was: Boge shocks in the rear, and Kontrolle ones up front. I don't remember why they didn't like Boges in the front; perhaps they were not available at that point?

Remember that you want similar stiffness at the front of the car and the rear. Having a soft front setup and stiff rear will make the car want to swap ends, which can be far too exciting on the street.

One more thing to consider, though: What spring rates are you using? If you're using 200 lb/in springs, going with stock-type shocks probably won't make you happy. The stockers will be calibrated more for the stock spring rates, which were less than 100 lb/in.

--DD
bdstone914
I have a few pairs of good used Boge or early oil filled Koni adjustable. You can have either in trade for those seats o need to get from you.
Bruce
914_teener
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 7 2015, 10:40 AM) *

The Bilstein Sports will be on the hard side. They'll be good for handling, and help control the movement of the rear suspension, but they'll be a bit harsh. The standard Bilsteins should be somewhat softer.

Don't overlook Boge shocks. I think they were one of the OEM options? They should give a relatively nice ride.

The Koni Sport shocks are adjustable, but I have found that even on the "soft" setting they are pretty hard. Not sure how they compare to the others, though, as I haven't done a back-to-back comparison.

One setup that the guys at High Performance House in Redwood City used to recommend for street cars with stock suspensions was: Boge shocks in the rear, and Kontrolle ones up front. I don't remember why they didn't like Boges in the front; perhaps they were not available at that point?

Remember that you want similar stiffness at the front of the car and the rear. Having a soft front setup and stiff rear will make the car want to swap ends, which can be far too exciting on the street.

One more thing to consider, though: What spring rates are you using? If you're using 200 lb/in springs, going with stock-type shocks probably won't make you happy. The stockers will be calibrated more for the stock spring rates, which were less than 100 lb/in.

--DD

agree.gif

I went with the stock Boge's in the rear and the stock springs and the new bushings made a hell of a difference in the ride. For me, it is a comfy ride compared to the KYB's that were on there.

Glad you are up working on your car Jaime.
oldschool
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 7 2015, 01:10 PM) *

I have a few pairs of good used Boge or early oil filled Koni adjustable. You can have either in trade for those seats o need to get from you.
Bruce

You got it bruce, although the seats have been your all along. come by sunday after 3pm shades.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 7 2015, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 7 2015, 10:40 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif

I went with the stock Boge's in the rear and the stock springs and the new bushings made a hell of a difference in the ride. For me, it is a comfy ride compared to the KYB's that were on there.

Glad you are up working on your car Jaime.

laugh.gif who said anything about working lol-2.gif
saigon71
I went with standard yellow billsteins & stock springs. I really like the setup for street use. Although I admit, I have nothing else to compare it to.
mepstein
My experience is that boge is night and day difference better than kyb. Bilsteins are a bit better/smoother than boge and worth the money if you want top performance. Koni seemed similar to bilstein. My but dyno isn't calibrated so your results may vary.
Larmo63
I used Boges on the rear, but with 180# springs. Great ride, not too harsh.
struckn
Just to clearify my mentioned of SACHS shocks in my earlier post.
SACHS and BOGE are now the same company. The box and description for the Strut Inserts from the factory shows it as SACHS/BOGE and the box for the rear Shocks shows it just as SACHS. Both front and rear sets are the new replacement factory Shocks and Strut Insert for the original BOGE's.
Larmo63
It is "Sachs," just to clarify…..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.