Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dynamat - What's your experience?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello,
Has anyone used Dynamat on the inside firewall below the black base layer pad? If so, did it make a noticeable difference in noise reduction? Any suggestions for most effective use of this product?
Thanks,
Jack
914runnow
QUOTE(jack20 @ Feb 6 2015, 11:02 PM) *

Hello,
Has anyone used Dynamat on the inside firewall below the black base layer pad? If so, did it make a noticeable difference in noise reduction? Any suggestions for most effective use of this product?
Thanks,
Jack

hi there..you mighttah pushed the wrong forum button..
try the garage..tons of answers there..
jack20
QUOTE(914runnow @ Feb 6 2015, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(jack20 @ Feb 6 2015, 11:02 PM) *

Hello,
Thanks,
Jack

hi there..you mighttah pushed the wrong forum button..
try the garage..tons of answers there..

Rookie mistake. Thank you!
boxstr
Amazing difference. I used a product called fat mat, which I beleive was purchased by Dynamat. It sold for considerably less and was the same stuff.
You might want to consider using it in the doors and floors. Even a piece in the targa roof panel will help.
There are many other products just like Dynamat out there. Prices can be all over the place. Good luck.
Craig at CAMP
Bossman
I have used this product on many projects. Makes a big difference. I would also put some in both trunks and under both trunk lids. Takes out the resonating tones. You will actually hear your engine with out all the static "buzzing".
The down side of course is weight, but if you are concerned about acoustics you are obviously not building a racer.
You could take it a step further with a layer of of closed cell foam over the dynamat topped with a layer of mass load vinyl (MVL), but with the thin glass and frameless windows you probably wouldn't notice this extra effort
Sometimes you can find a shop selling a package of scrap pices pretty cheap on eBay that you can fit together
boxstr
Amazing difference. I used a product called fat mat, which I beleive was purchased by Dynamat. It sold for considerably less and was the same stuff.
You might want to consider using it in the doors and floors. Even a piece in the targa roof panel will help.
There are many other products just like Dynamat out there. Prices can be all over the place. Good luck.
Craig at CAMP
pete000
Good stuff, many cheaper alternatives out there. The good is is makes the car quiet and solid feeling, the bad it is not so light and a bit pricey.
914forme
copied this post from another site. you can also get this in big rolls at comercial roofing supliers.

"Peel & Seal is the cheap alternative to Dynamat. This is the stuff you get from Lowes Hardware. It is the same as the original Dynamat but a lot cheaper.
It's very, very close to Dynamat other than the price. It has a 40 mil rubberized aspalt sticky back, two layers of high stregth polymer film over a reflective aluminum surface."

The Peel & Seal comes in small rolls, but it works. You can find it in larger rolls from a roofing supplier.

You can also look for a product called Alumaguard We use this stuff on outdoor chillers at work. Tough as nails, and will deaden sound. Oh and its cost is about a $1 a square foot wholesale.

And this is a little more but I have used it before!
VaccaRabite
I used Fatmat on my car. 2 layers on the firewall.
The sound of carbs creaming at 4K+ RMP cuts right through the rear window, but a lot o road noise is cut down.

Zach
a914622
I have use a similar product on both the vanagon and the toyota. Good for removing vibration noise.

Stay away from the roofing material. On a hot day your rig will smell like a freshly tared roof. Mc Carr has sheets that are cheaper than the stereo shops.

Jcl
larryM
X2 - and see this - 914 firewall sound deadening

a stock firewall pad weighs 35 lbs - & assists in rusting

QUOTE(a914622 @ Feb 8 2015, 09:04 AM) *

I have use a similar product on both the vanagon and the toyota. Good for removing vibration noise. Stay away from the roofing material. On a hot day your rig will smell like a freshly tared roof.
Jcl

- I use similar DEI product on my 914-6 & several other cars - shop Summit Racing for it
mepstein
The stock firewall pad (interior) on my '75 weighed 9lbs
malcolm2
I used B-Quiet Ultimate behind the seat, and all over the floor. Folks also stick a square on the inner door. Some people do the same on the inner lid of the trunks. It absorbs vibration and reduces the noise. It works.

In my case it was not much work. I already had the car stripped and the original tar removed.
ellisor3
Dynamat is a butyl based product where peel and seal is asphalt based. The asphalt will not work well on vertices surfaces as when it heats up the adhesive is likely to fail. Also asphalt may ooze when it gets hot. Not good. But may work ok on flat horizontal surfaces like floors.

Other options are Lizard skin or B Quiet and EZ Cool.
wes
I used Dynamat on the interior doors, floors, and inside firewall and yes $$, lbs but I like it.
Now I see AA has a Dynamata engine compartment firewall insulation pad that clams to look like the OEM pad and Im wondering if any one has tried it?
larryM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2015, 11:52 AM) *

good for you! - mine weighs 35 lb

- still in bag in storage if anyone wants it for free - local pickup

or pay the shipping cost on actual weight

bigkensteele
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 8 2015, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2015, 11:52 AM) *

good for you! - mine weighs 35 lb

- still in bag in storage if anyone wants it for free - local pickup

or pay the shipping cost on actual weight

I think that the interior pad is probably around 10#. The engine compartment pad is MUCH heavier, so between the two of those and the tar that is scraped off the floor, adding Dynamat or an equivalent will probably still be lighter.
tomeric914
I've use Dynamat in the past but switched to Second Skin Damplifier and Damplifier Pro and had much better results. As Vacca Rabbit has stated, the back glass is where a lot of the sound comes through but this will help.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro/

I also like their Spectrum noise control coating for the floor if the tar boards have been removed. Goes from tinny to thud in one coating.
carr914
I've used Fat Mat, DynaMat & DynaMat Lite. I like the Lite best - it's easier to use.

Dont Ever Use the Aspalt Roofing Products - I have seen the Asphalt melt and the Smell - damn!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.