Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve clearance adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
I am going to tackle the valve adjustment next. I have some threads bookmarked on how to do it, but I just want to make sure I have everything I need before starting.

What are the best tools for the job, and if they are specialized, where can I get them? Same goes for parts or supplies.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Oh yeah, 1974 1.8L.
stugray
Assuming you do not have Chromolly pushrods, you will need a feeler gauge.

I have found that the "Go No-Go" feeler gauges are the best for this.
They have step in them where one end is .005 and the other end is .007.

SO if it "goes on the .005" but "doe not go on the .007" then you are at .006.

Other than that you need a short standard screwdriver, and (I think a 13 mm open end - socket wont work).
The hardest part ( for some) is finding TDC #1.

Very soon people will post "Use the Krusty method" Which is great, but it typically just confuses first timers.
I believe that the Krusty method is better for people who have done it enough times that want to make it simpler & faster.

Do a search on here for methods of setting valves and finding TDC and spend a few minutes reading before jacking up the car.

Getting room took work can sometime take longer than setting the valves.

Oh and a trick: To pull the valve covers - put a shop rag around the retention wire, and use a prybar (big screwdriver) to pry downward on the rag.
rjames
When prying the valve covers off do not use the heat exchangers for leverage- do not lean/put any weight on them at all or you'll likely strip exhaust studs.

Get a fresh set of valve cover gaskets to replace the old ones.

Inspect for oil leaks at the valve covers when you're finished. If you don't get the covers on right you'll be pulling bits of your exhaust system apart to clean all the oil out.
Dave_Darling
I got all of the tools I use for the valve adjust at Sears, except for one which wasn't available at the one near my house.

- Ratcheting offset screwdriver
- Stubby screwdriver
- Regular screwdriver
- Pry-bar
- Jack
- Jack-stands
- 14mm deep-offset box-end wrench
- 19mm wrench for lug bolts

The 14mm deep-offset box-end wrench was not available at my local Sears, but I think it can be ordered. I wound up with the opportunity to buy it off my local Snap-On truck, so I jumped at the chance.

Note that 70-72 rockers (and maybe some 73?) use 13mm-wrench-size jam nuts on the adjusting lugs, while the later ones including your 74 use 14mm-wrench-size jam nuts.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.