Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are red Konis rebuilable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ice cold
My 76 came with red Koni shocks. I removed the both front and rear shocks/struts and found the dampening of one front and one rear compromised to say the least. Can or should these be sent out for rebuild and to whom? I installed KYB's and understand now why the are so affordable and would like to improve the ride on my weekend cruiser.
Tom_T
Yes .... contact Koni directly & they do a rebuild/resto service on them.
jim_hoyland
When I bought my Kon Reds back in the 80's, I was told they were guaranteed for life of the car ?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2015, 09:13 AM) *

Yes .... contact Koni directly & they do a rebuild/resto service on them.

+1 smile.gif
mepstein
It doesn't have to be koni. They can be rebuilt by other rebuilders as well.
thieuster
Koni is a Dutch company. Their factory was on fire a few weeks ago. I don't know if it has affected their productivity or after sales service. Be sure to start the job only AFTER having received the parts you need!

Menno

EDIT: the productivity is back to 90% of the full capacity. Nevertheless: be careful before dismantling your car's shocks.

M
Mark Henry
On the same line I have a set of 911 Koni's that are leaking, what are they worth as cores?
Rebuild to sell?
Can you DIY?
Or should I just scrap them?

I don't need them and don't really want to tie up money into them.
Dave_Darling
About five years ago, the cost to rebuild Konis was very close to the price of buying new ones. Well worth it if you were interested in keeping original parts, or in re-valving for specific applications, not so much if you just wanted some shocks.

I think an outfit called Truechoice used to do a lot of Konis, so it might be worthwhile looking them up. Definitely worthwhile contacting Koni USA to see what the costs are.

--DD
rhodyguy
Are they externally adjustable? There would be a stem for the knob on the top of them if so. I don't think the reds have been available new for years. Given the cost of Bils and even more 'stockish' models, it's worth an inquiry. Refurbished to as new standards are new koni reds. I have the externally adj reds front and rear on my car. I really like them. A search for "koni strut rebuild" yields more options than just koni directly.
Starlack
hello
This winter I've had to overtake two red rear Koni shock absorbers with a german company. Very reliable and I paid 145 euro ..for two

Here is the Adress for the Company
www.dr-suspension.de
Matt Romanowski
Truechoice Koni is where I would send them http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/index.php
gereed75
I recently looked at this. True choice was responsive. As was Koni direct. Third choice is a race support company in New York/ Ct area. Can't recall the name but they support race / track cars in that area. Found them via google

All offered the same deal - base price + parts. All in the same ball park as new
jcd914
Old thread but might be worth checking out:

Shock rebuild thread

Jim
914Sixer
Since Koni warranty is good from 1980's on, where would you find the manufacture date on the shock? I Googled but nothing of value came up?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.