Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer Angle Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
I installed a new speedo cable today and while it was an adventure, it is in. I hooked everything up snug, but the speedo doesn't work. So I took the rear off and spun that end with my drill to prove that the head is good. It is, speedometer works just fine. What makes this rear angle drive fail? Do they fail often? Anybody got an extra they can sell/trade? Any fixes? Help. idea.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 8 2015, 02:11 PM) *

I installed a new speedo cable today and while it was an adventure, it is in. I hooked everything up snug, but the speedo doesn't work. So I took the rear off and spun that end with my drill to prove that the head is good. It is, speedometer works just fine. What makes this rear angle drive fail? Do they fail often? Anybody got an extra they can sell/trade? Any fixes? Help. idea.gif

I believe they fail pretty regularly, Get a hold of Bruce Stone I picked up 1 from him 2 months ago.
malcolm2
Cable, maybe? put your drill on the tranny end of the cable and see fir it spins behind the dash... since it sounds like you have the speedo out.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 8 2015, 02:44 PM) *

Cable, maybe? put your drill on the tranny end of the cable and see fir it spins behind the dash... since it sounds like you have the speedo out.

Wow, you just told him to do what he said he did in post #1. Largo changed the cable, then spun it with a drill with cable and speedo checking out good. So it's either the angle drive and or the plastic gear in the trans and I've seen both for sale as new parts. So I'd suggest trying pelican, automation, and others. Greetings Larmo, I know you're not too far south from me. Mark s.
type47
Check the part number on the angle drive and verify that it starts w/ 914. If it starts w/ 911, it turns the wrong direction
euro911
Did you test the angle drive? (spinning it by hand)

I've had some that were gummed-up and hard to spin, but never had one completely fail (yet).

If you get a another (good) one, you might think about sending it up to Mark (McMark) at Original Customs to get the 2nd O-Ring seal modification done on it. It'll never leak again cool_shades.gif
carr914
914 Rubber sells a Replacement Angle Drive with Two Sealing Rings instead of one to prevent leaks - pretty cheap too!
malcolm2
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Feb 8 2015, 05:32 PM) *

Wow, you just told him to do what he said he did in post #1. Largo changed the cable, then spun it with a drill with cable and speedo checking out good. So it's either the angle drive and or the plastic gear in the trans and I've seen both for sale as new parts. So I'd suggest trying pelican, automation, and others. Greetings Larmo, I know you're not too far south from me. Mark s.

When I read "REAR", as you can tell from my post, I read rear of the SPEEDO since I thought he had it off. Sorry for putting you thru the trouble of correcting me. Wow, it only took 4 posts for everyone to know that you are a mind reading D*ICK.
76-914
I've 2 of them that I rebuilt. PM me if you want.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 9 2015, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Feb 8 2015, 05:32 PM) *

When I read "REAR", as you can tell from my post, I read rear of the SPEEDO since I thought he had it off. Sorry for putting you thru the trouble of correcting me. Wow, it only took 4 posts for everyone to know that you are a mind reading D*ICK.

Gee Malcolm, sorry my post got you so upset that you had to call me a name. I tried to be gentle when I restated what Larmo's initial post had told me. It seemed to me that he knew the problem was at the tranny end before the speedo cable and was probably the angle drive. I wasn't trying to beat up on you, but I guess I could be more diplomatic correcting something that seems misunderstood. I guess I should have simply said what I understood he did and passed on info about parts. I think the thread headed back to the parts info he needed. Thanks to all the others came through posting great info on where replacement angle drives are available and that there is an upgrade with a double O-ring. Again Malcolm, sorry...I have misunderstood many things in my life and been corrected. I'm still trying to get better at receiving correction. Larmo, hope to meet you sometime, I'm around South County and starting to meet more of the 914 crowd. And I am out at El Toro for autocross frequently. Mark S.
Larmo63
Can I take it off the transmission without losing all of my fluid?

Sorry, I just don't know.

Yes, Mark, there are quite a few of us 914teeners around here!!
914bub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 9 2015, 10:48 AM) *

Yea you can. People in this thread have confused the angle drive with the updated double O ring part that holds the speedo drive gear in the trans. The angle drive attaches to the speedo drive gear holder
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(914bub @ Feb 9 2015, 11:53 AM) *

Yea you can. People in this thread have confused the angle drive with the updated double O ring part that holds the speedo drive gear in the trans. The angle drive attaches to the speedo drive gear holder

I think he's right. the big nut on the angle drive will let it come off. There's a big seal; that goes inside in front of the angle drive, and a whole other housing that goes in with the speedo drive gear that has an o-ring. that inner housing is held by the bolt going in the rear plate on the gearbox. I don't think you will loose any gear oil, but if a lot comes out, just put the angle drive back in place. you should be able to check the angle drive by turning the female end with a flat screwdriver blade and watch the flat output at the other end.
ndfrigi
Mark and Lawrence, maybe one day we can hang out here at my place since both you went to my place. Lawrence, Mark is the guy whose been helping me with my 71 1.7 suspension console and same guy got my 74 1.8 red on my driveway before. And Mark, Lawrence is the guy who got the 911 strut Im telling you.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 9 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Mark and Lawrence, maybe one day we can hang out here at my place since both you went to my place. Lawrence, Mark is the guy whose been helping me with my 71 1.7 suspension console. And Mark, Lawrence is the guy who got the 911 strut I've telling you.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but that would be cool. My Father -in law, who owns the green 914 that I autocross is helping arrange a coffee and porsches at Brewster's in San Clemente on Feb 21st, and monthly thereafter. I will be at ElToro that day instructing at the Driver Ed clinic, or I'd be at Brewsters. He's probably going to drive one of his other 911's. Brewster's is doing rust repair to his 912 and has helped us with the 914, Gearbox, etc. It will be monthly and I hope it might be an opportunity to connect with more 914 owners from Orange County. I realize it's pretty far south for you Noel, but before 9am it's an easy freeway spin! there's some other 914's in Dana Point, San Clemente, Laguna Beach, and Mission Viejo that would be nice to meet up with.
Lawrence, I'm the guy who bought the 4 quarters of the metallic green car that was cut up in San Clemente just before the Holidays.

The angle drive on the red 74 seems loose as could be. I'm thinking it's worn out. I think I have a spare dangling on the back of my spare gearbox. I guess I'll spin them to see what's up.
Porschef
Yes, you can remove it and oil won't leak out. In fact, you can even drive the car for months with the speedo cable wired up to the exhaust mount shades.gif

And Mark is correct, the 911 angle drive turns the other way, although they look identical. I had picked one up at Hershey a couple years back and couldn't figure out why I was getting no reading until I happened to look at the speedometer while backing up...

Thanks to Scarlet 75 for dropping by with one this past weekend pray.gif
Larmo63
Okay, I took the angle drive out, completely degreased it, oiled it, and re-installed it. It looks brand new and works as it should. I tried the "back-up" test, and the needle doesn't move. Dang it, the problem must be inside the back of the transmission. Should I proceed into there?

Yes, there are at least five 914s in San Clemente. There are a few in San Juan Capistrano, Colin is in Mission Viejo, and Forrest is in Laguna Beach. Also Scott has his beautiful project in San Juan. We need to plan something…?
Porschef
Before you do that, just check that the tranny key is properly seated in the angle drive's slot.
euro911
QUOTE(914bub @ Feb 9 2015, 11:53 AM) *

You're right, the actual angle drive mechanism is separate from the gear drive/angle drive assembly. Every used one I bought (typically 'previously-owned'), came as a complete assembly with both parts, and just assumed if he were to obtain one, it too would be the same.

Carry on, gents ...
Larmo63
Yes, I had the slotted head and the slot aligned and copacetic. I guess I dig deeper….
r_towle
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 9 2015, 06:21 PM) *

Yes, I had the slotted head and the slot aligned and copacetic. I guess I dig deeper….

At least you did not total your car......
Mikey914
I'd pull the angle drive and the drive bushing to investigate further. Possibly the gear on the shaft separated ?
Is so still an easy fix, just need a new part.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Feb 8 2015, 03:32 PM) *

There is no "plastic gear" in the trans. Mc Mark's double o-ring conversion does NOT include the angle drive, only the straight piece inserted in the nose cover.

The Cap'n
Larmo63
The only thing I see is the "blade" part sticking out of where the angle drive screws in. So something is not right up in there?
Larmo63
If I back the 13mm bolt out, it does allow the inner drive to move and come out (?) Am I risking losing gear oil all over the shop floor? When it is out, what am I looking for on the inside? It seems as if the angle drive is somewhat engaged because if I rotate it, the outgoing "blade" turns.

I know some here think these questions tedious, but I just don't know.
Dave_Darling
The bolt is a set-screw. Once the angle drive is off, removing the set-screw lets you slide the drive (with the O-ring(s) on it) out of the trans. The bore into the trans goes basically up to the top of the rear cover before it opens into the main body, so any gear oil loss will be pretty minimal.

--DD
euro911
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 10 2015, 04:45 PM) *
The bolt is a set-screw. Once the angle drive is off, removing the set-screw lets you slide the drive (with the O-ring(s) on it) out of the trans. The bore into the trans goes basically up to the top of the rear cover before it opens into the main body, so any gear oil loss will be pretty minimal.--DD
... especially if you have the rear of the car elevated (up on jack stands, where these cars seem to spend a lot of time) laugh.gif

Just stick a drip pan below the rear of the trans to catch any dribbling shades.gif
r_towle
agree.gif

Rear jacked up, minimal dripping will happen, you can even remove the whole rear cover and lose very little fluid.

Rich
colingreene
did you put a screw driver onto the part thats in the trans and gently try to turn it to see if it has any resistance.
That would tell you if its stuck to anything.
bdstone914
As many times as you have been to my shop and you ask where to get one?
I once had a problem with one not turning and found that there is a 00 and 01 part number. It is stamped on the cap. One was shorter than the other. Marks double oring is for the upper part not the lower angle part.
pcar916
If it's your first time, please notice when you're reinstalling it that the set screw (bolt) doesn't tighten on the drive barrel. There is a hole in the barrel that the screw fits into.

The drive-barrel is a "floater" and is supposed to be loose in the trans housing. The bolt is really a "locator" thing that just keeps the drive from falling out. I've seen a lot of speedo barrels marked up by folks who didn't realize that.

Good luck
Larmo63
The aluminum(?) barrel doesn't slide out after the bolt comes out. there is resistance from the transmission, it all seems as if it should work. I put channel locks on the barrel to wiggle it out, but it will only come out so far. So, not wanting to fuch it up further. I gave up. I hate working on things that I don't understand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.