Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What battery are you using?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
I don't have pictures (will add them tomorrow), but the PO of Brutus has a small garden style battery up in the front trunk. When fully charged it has just enough power to barely crank the engine.

I would like to find something better along that same size. What are you guys using?
Racing916
odyssey pc680. Keep it on a trickle charger at home. Knock on wood has been a great battery.
brant
The size of the battery cable can matter for front trunks
Woody
I am using a Braile. Think its their 9 pound battery, I don't remember.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
This has worked good for me. It's been a bit since I installed it but I did run a larger cable.
campbellcj
PC680 for me as well - very satisfied. It is in the stock location bolted-down on its side via the aluminum jacket/bracket.
stownsen914
I use the ones sold by Baker Precision. I forget the designation, but it weighs about 12 lbs. At a little over $100, it's a pretty decent deal. I've been using their batteries for years with good luck.
Randal
Laugh, but Interstate has powerful, cheap and lightweight batteries. My current set up is like 12lbs and has 650 cranking amps. My motor is 12.5 to 1.
stownsen914
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 15 2015, 12:20 AM) *

Laugh, but Interstate has powerful, cheap and lightweight batteries. My current set up is like 12lbs and has 650 cranking amps. My motor is 12.5 to 1.

Interesting. Are they gel cell batteries by chance?
Randal
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Feb 17 2015, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 15 2015, 12:20 AM) *

Interesting. Are they gel cell batteries by chance?

Will have to check, not sure.
914forme
Interstate Gel, 12.3 lbs, and can be had at local supplier. Turned the 2.0L over for several years. Have not tried it with the Subaru yet.
R8CERX
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 18 2015, 08:38 AM) *

Interstate Gel, 12.3 lbs, and can be had at local supplier. Turned the 2.0L over for several years. Have not tried it with the Subaru yet.

Curious

I read on the trickle charges that you can't use them on gel cells batteries

I have a normal size battery on my six, and I am afraid to hook the harbor freight cheap trickle charger just because of the warning

Any advise on what trickle charger will work? And what is the danger of using the cheap harbor freight charger? I am thinking that is the same circuitry as the more expensive one.... confused24.gif
mskala
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Feb 18 2015, 11:47 AM) *

Any advise on what trickle charger will work? And what is the danger of using the cheap harbor freight charger? I am thinking that is the same circuitry as the more expensive one.... confused24.gif

I've been using Odyssey PC680 for about 10 years. Got a new one after 8 years
even though it showed no signs of going bad. I have never used a trickle charger
on it. In a 914 when you turn it off there should be no drain unless you have a
clock or some aftermarket gear. Batteries will self-discharge but I've not found it
to be significant for the odyssey. Only in first start of spring if it's still really cold
do I need to add jumper cables, since it takes about 10 tries to really get the
engine going.
R8CERX
QUOTE(mskala @ Feb 18 2015, 11:31 AM) *

even though it showed no signs of going bad. I have never used a trickle charger
clock or some aftermarket gear. Batteries will self-discharge but I've not found it
to be significant for the odyssey. Only in first start of spring if it's still really cold
engine going.

Txt for reply

Still, I have gel battery now; can I use the trickle charger on it?

Why is it not advised by the trickle charger manufacturer?
Danger of fire while in garage?
914forme
On my interstate I used this

Mer of fact I use them on all my toys, 914, Miata, Tractor, and Boat. Works just fine, haven't burn't down my shop yet.
914forme
duplicate post
GaroldShaffer
I ended up going with the Baker Precision mainly because its measurements fit the framework that the old battery was in.
PlaysWithCars
Odyssey PC680 for me as we'll. I use a BatteryMinder brand charger that has selectable charging profiles for for gel, flooded, and AGM batteries. Also when it's in trickle mode it has a desulfation feature that really extends battery life.
Johny Blackstain
Anyone know of a US source for DETA batteries?
earossi
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Feb 18 2015, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mskala @ Feb 18 2015, 11:31 AM) *

engine going.

Txt for reply

Still, I have gel battery now; can I use the trickle charger on it?

Why is it not advised by the trickle charger manufacturer?
Danger of fire while in garage?

I'm trying to recall from memory, the issue with using a regular trickle charger on a GEL battery. I think it has to do with the fact that the GEL's drop to very low voltages when they discharge, and a standard charger will not re-charge them. Not certain that is correct......however, I do remember that the way to use a standard charger to re-charge a GEL is to hook a good battery in parallel with the GEL and then use the charger on the parallel connected batteries.

But, to answer your question, there are chargers and trickle chargers out there that have a GEL setting. I have a CEK that I use on my Optima that works fine. Has a switch for GEL batteries on it. Unfortunately, a little more expensive than a Harbor Freight charger. I think I paid about $60 for the CEK.
Bazza
Thanks for the battery thread - I just ordered an Odyssey pc680 to replace my feeble FLAPS unit.

beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
You can keep the gel cell's going with a trickle charger, but not if the battery is drained flat.

What they said was put it on a 10amp charge for 60 minutes, then switch to trickle after that. This method works for me. Google the recharging instructions and it will lay it out for you.
screenguy914
Group size 24 battery box. In a 914 chassis, could be as important as weight and CCA:

Before:
Click to view attachment

After:
Click to view attachment

Sherwood

PS: Should probably move. More appropriate on a street-based car.
TJB/914
Garold,
Don't buy this one headbang.gif My 9-yr old Optima gave out & I sized this one to fit the battery tray, but it's about 1/2" to high and hits my rain tray. Took if off cause I don't run in the rain. happy11.gif I forgot about height.
Tom
mrfourteen
Nonsense piss away $ on fancy brand name batteries when there are only a couple of actual manufactures.
Go to Wally world and get a 16LB AGM for $80ish and watch it make your starter spin and run a bunch of other stuff while it's at it.
My cheep ass 2 cents worth.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mrfourteen @ Aug 28 2015, 09:16 PM) *

Nonsense piss away $ on fancy brand name batteries when there are only a couple of actual manufactures.
Go to Wally world and get a 16LB AGM for $80ish and watch it make your starter spin and run a bunch of other stuff while it's at it.
My cheep ass 2 cents worth.

That's fine in all, but the stock size battery didn't fit in my battery tray for the racecar.

stugray
I have a braille and I charge it with the $20 maintainer from Walmart.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.