Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dudzy's914
So I am about to receive some fuchs that I recently bought. My question is, can I polish the beed blasted area? And any recommended compound I should use? My goal is fully polished fuchs on my black car. How have you guys done this?

Thanks,
Finn
EdwardBlume
Do a search for DanT where he did his. Have fun!
76-914
They're going to be a Bitch to polish if you polish out the bead blasted areas, IMHO.
IronHillRestorations
If you want fully polished, you are in for some work. You'll probably have to sand the textured areas to get it smooth enough.
Tom_T
IMHO just polish the rim & "blades" & clean the textured area well with a brush & non-caustic detergent that won't harm the aluminum.

Polished blades will stand out better against the textured/bead blasted background.

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

dudzy's914
When they arrive I will strip the black and see what's underneath biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
Full polish...lots of work

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
If they are real Fuchs the outer area has an anodized coating on it which as stated before is a BITCH to get off. You need old school oven cleaner or something like that. Do a search for oven cleaner and you will find a Fuchs stripping thread or two.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2015, 12:17 PM) *

IMHO just polish the rim & "blades" & clean the textured area well with a brush & non-caustic detergent that won't harm the aluminum.

Polished blades will stand out better against the textured/bead blasted background.

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

My teener just came back from a repaint. When it goes back on the road I want the wheels to look like this. Do you have any specific recommendations for cleaners or polish (or polish technique)?
sb914
Here's mine fully polished.send them to al reed you won't be disappointed.they almost glow in the dark..Click to view attachment
TJB/914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 25 2015, 05:07 PM) *

Here's mine fully polished.send them to al reed you won't be disappointed.they almost glow in the dark..Click to view attachment

agree.gif agree.gif
Full polish with chromed lugs & NOS caps. first.gif
Tom
ThinAir
Sorry guys, but full polish is not the look I'm going for. I want the contrast between the matte background and the polished spokes. What I'm looking for is specifics on how to freshen what I've already got.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 10 2015, 11:11 AM) *

If they are real Fuchs the outer area has an anodized coating on it which as stated before is a BITCH to get off. You need old school oven cleaner or something like that. Do a search for oven cleaner and you will find a Fuchs stripping thread or two.

This is your best advice on the matter...
76-914
Simple green on the non polished area and a mild hand brush if needed. Your choice on the polished area. There are many. I've got both and can say the fully polished set is more difficult to dress out.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Nov 25 2015, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2015, 12:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

My teener just came back from a repaint. When it goes back on the road I want the wheels to look like this. Do you have any specific recommendations for cleaners or polish (or polish technique)?

Ernie,

Those Fuchs were restored & polished by Al Reed in Anaheim for the guy I bought them from for my 73 2L's resto SoCal Andy on here, my 73 had Riviera's by the OO when I bought it in 75).

Al can also re-anodize them after this treatment in my pic above for the stock look, which takes a bit of the high shine off, but makes them easier to care for & reduces the oxidation over time.

In order to get them this shiny, Al strips off the OE anodization layer, then machine polishes them. There are also threads on here on how to polish, using Easy Off as the anodized layer stripper, then polishing with a DA etc. if you want to do your own.

BTW, leave the matte background alone & don't strip there if you're doing your own, & tell Al or Harvey that you want the OE matte background finish - whether or not you get them re-anodized. Anodizing is a treatment to harden the aluminum surface layer for resistance to scratches & oxidation. I'll be having these touched up & then re-anodized for mine, cuz I want the OE look & the protection & easier care.

If you want them done professionally, go to either Al Reed Polishing in Anaheim, or Harvey Weidman at Weidman Wheels in Oroville, California - both know the 914 & other Fuchs wheel resto gig well!

chowtime.gif Eat Lotsa Turkey! chowtime.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.