Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 heater box color ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
scotty b
Trying to work out some of Cairo's smaller stuff. While getting a bunch of parts together to strip and re zinc, I noticed a shiny spot on his flapper boxes. It appears they were originally silver zinc, not painted ? Is this correct ? I know 911's were red/orange. I have the correct paint for them, and assumed 914-6 would have either been black, grey, or the same orange as the 911 since they went through the same plant. But I never would have expected them to be silver zinc'ed confused24.gif Or were Michaels put on as bare steel blink.gif

FWIW I see NO traces of any paint anywhere, and the raw metal that is visible is definitely not a sandblasted finish as if someone stripped them and didn't recoat. It is nice shiny metal with the press forming marks still on it
mepstein
Maybe they were replacements for the origional set?
914Sixer
OEM were black.
porbmw
agree.gif
Johny Blackstain
Yep, semi gloss black is the way I remember them. Only shiny parts were the linkage the hinge pin.
rgalla9146
Scotty
One NOS heat exchanger and six, 6 cyl. flapper boxes say "grey"
4 cyl. flappers were black.
Rory

aturboman
Indeed grey as Rory says, I too have had NOS ones.
scotty b
awesome. thanks guys first.gif
Cairo94507
Can they be powder coated and still operate correctly? BTW, I am pretty sure they are original to the car.
scotty b
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 6 2015, 06:33 AM) *

Can they be powder coated and still operate correctly? BTW, I am pretty sure they are original to the car.

I wouldn't. I'll glass bead them bare, epoxy prime and use an industrial grey on top. It'll be almost as good as powder without the mil build and possible issue of getting into the pin location keeping it form pivoting
Cairo94507
I kind of figured powder coating would be to thick. Sounds good.
Peashooter
Not sure about the gray for six boxes. I had a NOS set I put on my car and they were semi-gloss or satin black. Still had the factory part stickers on them. Heat exchangers were gray.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I used a high temp silver gray from Eastwood that looked good. Not concours perfect though.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Peashooter @ Jul 24 2015, 07:14 AM) *

Not sure about the gray for six boxes. I had a NOS set I put on my car and they were semi-gloss or satin black. Still had the factory part stickers on them. Heat exchangers were gray.

Satin black, like on many parts down under, is correct. Someone got to them before you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.