Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When it rains< I do things, Part two
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
Oh the joy continues in the rain. Gas tank is done. I hate my old bath air filter.
I was thinking about cutting off sawzall-smiley.gif the metal filter part and finding a circular paper element that would fit in the recess between the outer shell and wall that "holds" or contains the oil. Will that work ? Anybody modify their old oil bath filter into a paper element ?
Any adverse effects on engine performance/wear ?Click to view attachment Original bottom

Click to view attachment Cut off the stuff marked in blue
Click to view attachment Try to preserve the central metal post.

[size=7]Before I commit, do any members have comments ?
[b]
TheCabinetmaker
no need to reinvent the world. Just get a 73 1.7 air filter housing.
Cap'n Krusty
Filled and serviced properly, the oil bath air cleaner is far more effective.

The Cap'n
dlee6204
agree.gif

Why do you want to get rid of it?
pgollender
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 11 2015, 07:15 AM) *

no need to reinvent the world. Just get a 73 1.7 air filter housing.

Does the '73 bolt up easily to the '70 with same hose routing. Not sure what a '73 AF looks like. Got pics?

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2015, 07:30 AM) *

Filled and serviced properly, the oil bath air cleaner is far more effective.

The Cap'n

Ok Cap'n, how do you 'service' that archaic AF ? And how do you know it is more effective ? Do you mean removing dust and dirt or helping with performance ?
Inquiring newbies want to know.
And why would anybody want to keep the greasy thing around if there is an easier way to service than replacing a paper element once/year.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(pgollender @ Feb 11 2015, 07:22 PM) *

Ok Cap'n, how do you 'service' that archaic AF ? And how do you know is more effective ? Do you mean removing dust and dirt or helping with performance ?
Inquiring newbies want to know.
And why would anybody want to keep the greasy thing around if there is an easier way to service than replacing a paper element once/year.

chair.gif

av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.