Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just arrived in the garage: 1971 914-4 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
cary
On to the lift she goes ..................

Click to view attachment

Doubled checked the window frame gap before she was set onto the rotisserie wheels.
Right side needed to be drawn in 1mm.

Click to view attachment

Ready for business ................

Click to view attachment

cary
I went thru the detail of removing the left jack post on my rustoration thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2432695

Here's where we ended the day.
Click to view attachment

I'm going to leave the grinding till after the car gets blasted.
Doug and I'll make determination on the rust after the blasting too.

Being on the rotisserie will make cutting the oil filter console hole much easier.
Click to view attachment

I forgot how much easier things are on the rotisserie. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the exhaust shield stand off / mounts.
Click to view attachment
cary
Friday 12.16.15

Selfie .............. 46 degrees when we arrive. Better than I thought it would be.
Click to view attachment

Starting point.
Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the bottom radius cut out. Be careful not to tear off/out the spot welds.
Click to view attachment

As discussed in my rustoration thread. I cut it out in small bites.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Top of the long is all tidied up. Still want to brush it up with the new 24" sander after it arrives. This time I used a shorter coned carbide cutter to remove the remainder of the spot welds. I think I like it better.
Click to view attachment

Moment of truth.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'll finish the remainder of Friday tonight or Sunday. Super In Law is chopping at the bit to get going. And Warpig should be there around 10am.
cary
I'll probably look at peeling off the outer layer in the square box after it returns from media blasting.
I need to take a look at all the rocker panel bolts also. The one in the circle is snapped off.

Click to view attachment
cary
Then I moved on to removing the jack point triangles. No real issues.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Heater tube blocked off and ready for the media blaster.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Then set about removing the right T4 motor mount. I was hoping to save it for Mark's project car. But it would take too much time. And cause too much damage to the parent material. I'll have to get the one I need off one of the donor cars. Cutting away the long from behind.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
I felt bad cutting it into pieces. But I had preserve the parent material on the long.

On a sour note. Now that I have it on the rotisserie I found a hillbilly patch in the hell hole.

Click to view attachment

Very productive day ....................
cary
Test fit ..................
Click to view attachment
cary
Saturday AM. Off comes the left T4 motor mount. Nothing new. Cut it into pieces to get it out of the way.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Wilma !!!!!!!!!!
Next was the removal of the field portion of the rear floor plan.

Click to view attachment

Before I cut out the field portion I took multiple measurements and pictures. Here's one shot.
Click to view attachment

Once I got the field out of the way I could get at all the detail pieces.
First. Cut the floor away from the e-brake bracket.
Click to view attachment

#2, trim off the e-brake cable tunnel.
Click to view attachment

Finally. Cut the floor away from the seat adjuster bracket.
Click to view attachment

Another great day .....................

raynekat
Looking good Cary.
And it looks like I've got some more new metal coming or needed on this car.
As the saying goes...all these cars have rust, just differing in the amount that's all.
You'll be getting lots of practice on mine.
raynekat
We've recently had a good amount of snow here in the Portland area.
Nice time for some inside projects?

Click to view attachment

What's a person to do?
Could make miniature snowmen with the wifey? Or....

Click to view attachment

Finally get around to putting this mess of parts together!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Doing the PMB classic high hp axle build up.
Purchased the Sway-A-Way axles, located a good set of 2nd hand 911 axles, got everything cleaned up & replated, purchased the necessary new items and I was ready.

New CV boots and gaskets off Ebay.
Belmetric sent me the Oetiker ear clamps (74mm and 35mm), M10 zinc plated Schnorr washers, and the Grade 12.9 M10x50 CV bolts.
raynekat
The 911 CV joints were cleaned and inspected (in great shape) and put back together in the correct manner....short to long.

Click to view attachment

Install the boots on the newly plated flanges, tighten up the big Oetiker clamps and slide the boot assemblies on the axles (not a trivial undertaking) with the small clamps ready to go at a later date.

Click to view attachment

After loading up the CV joint with plenty of Redline CV-2 high performance extreme pressure grease, I started to assemble the CV joints onto the axles.
A ring clip goes on the end of the axle.
New black phosphate coating on the 911 stub axles and new gaskets evident.
Also the M10x50 bolts are just the right length to barely come out the back side of the stub axle.

Click to view attachment

Freshly replated boot flanges, new boots, clamps, bolts and washers all make for a nearly new looking axle assembly.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Finished product goes on the shelf with other parts for later installation.
I'll torque them up later
These should handle the 200+ hp that my 911 engine will be putting out....at a much later date.

Click to view attachment
cary
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 17 2016, 11:04 PM) *

Looking good Cary.
And it looks like I've got some more new metal coming or needed on this car.
As the saying goes...all these cars have rust, just differing in the amount that's all.
You'll be getting lots of practice on mine.

We'll take a hard look at the area in blue after we get it back from the blaster.
Click to view attachment

With my assortment of weapons I should be able to cut the section out cleanly.
Mad Dog has an assortment of patch panels we could use, or I could cut them out.
With this being a DD I don't think we'd need to remove the entire engine shelf.
Click to view attachment
cary
Side Note :
We did save the floor plugs from the cut out section of the floor. Trimmed down the panel and ran them thru the wood stove. Good as new.
File photo:
Click to view attachment
Now that I already have the big Lenox mandrel I'll buy the correct size hole saw for the floor pan when the time comes.
cary
Things at Rothsport are wrapped up for a bit, so back to Doug's car.
Plan to get the spot welds around the cut out floor removed today. Then off to get blasted. Tried contacting the blaster yesterday, no call back. sad.gif
cary
Cut out/off the center tunnel cover. Once again one must be very careful when cutting the cover off. The tubes lay right against the bottom of the pan.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The tunnel is in very nice shape. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Don't see any issues.
Even the tub brace looks like new.

Click to view attachment

Just about have it ready to go. Just the area's marked in yellow left to go.
No spot weld cutter has been used. Just grinding them down and popping them off.
We do have one tiny rust thru spot on the bottom of the right long. I mean tiny.
There will be a couple inches of bottom lip that will need to be created.

Click to view attachment

Super In Law cut out four patches for the vent holes in the longs.
I'm going to tack them in to help keep media from getting in the longs. They'll also get a Gorilla tape cover laid over them for additional protection.
cary
Thursday 12.29.16

Finished up the trim out of the rear floor pan. smile.gif
Then moved on to removing the MPS bracket. Not needed on the 6.
Click to view attachment

Then I removed the buggered up trunk pivot. Lots of measurement pictures if anyone needs them.
Click to view attachment

Next was the busted off engine lid hinge brackets. Once again, lots of measurement photos.
Click to view attachment

Then off came the remnants of the rusted off battery tray.
Click to view attachment

As Doug suspected there will be a little more work in the hell hole.
Click to view attachment
But a pretty simple fix using the Mad Dog panels.
cary
I then worked on sealing up the long getting it ready for media blasting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ready for blasting .................

Click to view attachment

cary
New Years Eve Day

Start the day setting up the doors so Super In Law can begin the speaker hole repairs.
Engine stand and BBQ brackets.
Click to view attachment

Here's what we want to repair/tidy up.
Click to view attachment

Trying to bring it back to this ...............
Click to view attachment

There's also 3-4 door seal rust holes that I'll need to remove and replace.
Click to view attachment

Having some fun .....................
Click to view attachment

He made a tool and rolled the flange back up.
Click to view attachment

Because of the radiuses the patch was created in three pieces. Some day when we have more time we'll build some bucks we can use in the press.
Just a friendly reminder I don't charge for Super In Law's time.

At the end of the day I took over and tacked the 3 pieces together and started the fiddling and fitting. Just about ready to be welded in.
Click to view attachment
cary
After getting him going I set about patching the hole in the hell hole.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
The hours of seam welding thru pockets of seam sealer on the 964 helped with the welding to the rust. welder.gif
After the car is media blasted the patch will be removed.

Then gave it a good lather of brush on seam sealer.
Click to view attachment

Then I repaired the window regulator ..............

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Looking excellent there maestro welder/reconstruction team. wink.gif
cary
Even though it was 20 degrees when we got up, we still headed out to Forest Grove.
First order of business was starting the fire and getting the middle shop warmed up.
Within an hour I was down to a sweatshirt only.

I was so excited to get back to work I didn't take any pictures before lunch. welder.gif
I got the left speaker hole butcher job repaired.
Click to view attachment

Looks like they had some issues with the cage nut. Split or cut. mad.gif
Click to view attachment
Welded that up.

The left door has some good (bad) examples of why we now use weld thru primer.
Click to view attachment
I also went over the door and filled all the sheet metal screw holes.
cary
Then it was time to go to work on the door seal channel. It is very nice to work on these doors that have been dipped, real easy to see what needs to be done.
What I found pretty much replicates what I found on both mine and Mark's project car.
Four spots rusted thru. One 3" section of degradation. So I elected to make one long patch piece. Rather than 4 small ones. It will easier to keep the weld nice and flat.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the area cut out.
Click to view attachment

Patch piece is fabricated and ready to be trimmed up.
X's show the location of the spot welds. After the patch is fitted I'll drill out the spot weld locations with the 1/4" Rotacut.
raynekat
Cary, I'm happy you're working on my car.
Your care and expertise is easy to see.
Very happy you are taking all this care and knowledge to fix my car up correctly.

I owe you and your father in law a lot of beers and a great dinner one day....
Thx Man....
cary
Monday 1/16/17

Here's a shot of the repair patch on the right door that was done on Saturday.
Click to view attachment

Here's the next butchered up area we'll get after.
Click to view attachment

Spent the day welding in the left door seal channel patch. Slow and steady wins the race. Hammer and dolly'd to maintain a flat surface.
Click to view attachment
1/8" spot welds. Welding the patch back to the door frame.

A shot of the bottom right corner after grinding and sanding.
Click to view attachment

Was about ready to return it to the storage rack when I found a couple holes. Not exactly sure what they were for. Maybe they were going to pull out the dent under them with a slide hammer. But never did the pulling. Just filled it with mud.
Got out woody woodpecker and starting working the dent.
Click to view attachment
cary
Snuck out Sunday afternoon for a 1/2 day.

Went to work on the damaged upper portion of the speaker hole on the right door. I don't get why it had all the hammer and punch marks too. Oh well, we'll just fill them in. Super In Law cut out the patch in two pieces. It's been a while since we used the shrinker/stretcher.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next on to surveying the rust damage to the seal channel. Once again, I'd like to say how nice it is to work on this stripped door. Best I could tell the metal under the channel wasn't damaged. So I decided to remove just the channel flange.
Click to view attachment

The only issue was figuring how to cut the section out. So I decided to go old school.
Drilled a starter hole, just like you would for a jigsaw cut. Except being metal I can weld the hole and slice closed.
Click to view attachment

Once again I cut down the spot welds with the cutting disc on the mandrel. We'll start calling it the Johnny wheel. After cutting it almost down to the parent material I pop it off with the narrow wood chisel.
Click to view attachment

Then onto the other end.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

End cut.
Click to view attachment

First patch was in a double layered area. mad.gif I delicately cut open the outer layer.
Click to view attachment

Using the same method to cut out the rusted sections. This will allow me to make smaller patches.
Click to view attachment

cary
While I'm working over the door. Super In Law was creating the new seal channel with the shrinker.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Three holes down, four to go.
Click to view attachment
cary
Finally getting back to Doug's car. Between the workload at Rothsport and cold weather I'm getting behind the schedule I'd proposed. sad.gif
Got the fire started and got to work ................. Left Super In Law at home. We have company from Minnesota visiting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

All of the holes I cut out have been patched and welded up. All that remains is the two pieces of channel .................... I'll weld in the small piece SIL created last week, tomorrow.

I did also weld up a split out hole that holds the inner window seal.

Click to view attachment

Doug stopped by right before lunch to check on the progress.
At the end of the visit we kind of came to the consensus that I'll probably be doing the blasting/stripping myself. Looks like I might be ordering a Texas Blaster.
https://www.texasblaster.com/index.php?disp...p;product_id=25
I guess we'll be giving my new air compressor its first test.

Doug also brought a couple brake dust shields that had split out bolt holes. Welded those up so he can get them powder coated.
cary
Livin the Dream ........................
Ran out to Kleen Blast in North Portland to pick up some Garnet for the blast cabinet. Drove thru the Freezing Rain I-5 carnage on my way. Other than the debris on the side of the road, the drive was uneventful.

Lit a fire and started a 1/2 pot of coffee when I arrived. biggrin.gif
Time to get to work .........................

1st. order of business was to spot weld in the first replacement door seal channel.
Click to view attachment
Gave the bottom of the channel patch a shot of weld thru primer. Should be good for another 50 years.

Click to view attachment
You'll notice the plywood backer against the door skin to keep from dimpling the skin.

Then I welded up the split/cracked window seal fastener hole on the right door.
Click to view attachment

Doug, I found another drilled hole on the left door ................ idea.gif
Click to view attachment

Then I cut out the 5th rust spot. This time the seal channel is in the way. mad.gif
Click to view attachment

At the end of the day I started tinkering with seal channel patch #2. Looks almost like a roller coaster ................ Follow the yellow line.
Click to view attachment

All in all a very productive 1/2 day ...................... smile.gif
cary
Sunday March 5th.

Doug came out to do a little more undercoating removal before I deliver the car to our NEW media blaster in the am.

Click to view attachment

He brought his new to him 914-6 engine tin out so I can take it along to the media blaster. Once blasted it will get a little more tuning up before getting powder coated.

Click to view attachment

He also brought me a new to him LEISTRITZ muffler out for a little dent removal.

Click to view attachment
cary
Finally ............................. cheer.gif cheer.gif

I dropped the car off at the new media blasters this morning. Impressive shop. Nice and tidy. Hopefully done by Friday ..............

I noticed everything in his shop in epoxy primered. So I asked, does he spray epoxy too?
Answer, No but my brother has a booth on the other side of Sherwood. They neutralize the soda first, then spray two coats of epoxy.

I'll let Doug discuss it with him.
cary
Stopped by the blaster on the way home from instructing at the Tire Street Survival event at PIR.

Click to view attachment
Was treated with Hold Tight this afternoon.

Click to view attachment
Fender that will contain the oil tank.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

raynekat
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 12 2017, 09:00 PM) *

All this yellow-tan looking stuff is just seam sealer.
I thought it was the foam that the factory puts up in the rear corners at first.
Nothing to worry here...just funny how cameras distort colors at times.

Will be getting epoxy primed in the next couple days, then back to Cary's shop to finish out the rest of the metal work.

Main things are finishing up the floors and doing the repairs around the windshield cowling.
cary
Today was the big day. Time to pick up the car from the paint booth. piratenanner.gif
The car looked stunning. Another stroke of luck, the blaster/primer painter shot the car with the same SPI primer I use.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
A couple shots after being unloaded into my shop.
No real surprises after being blasted. A few screw/bolt holes here and there. A couple more soft dents. Hell hole is better than I thought it would be. I'll still need a Mad Dog kit.
Chomping at the bit to get going ............ tried to take Monday off at Rothsport, no go. Fender liners and mud flaps before the following weeks testing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Up early to retrieve Matt Whitesell's car from the paint shop. 8am appointment.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2464316

Click to view attachment
cary
Finally back to work .....................
Started with the sheet metal hole cutting test for the oil filter. I used the hood off the POS parts cars that was cut into pieces. The outside edges were totally rotten.

Started with the 3 7/8 hole. The grommet fits, but the oil filter won't go thru it.
This is the one we thought would work. The seal alone would not slide around the hole.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The next one was 4". Empty, the seal would slide around the hole. The oil filter would slide in but the not pass entirely thru. It would hang up on rolled bottom lip.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

But it would pass thru the seal with a light application of Sil-Glyde. I think once the seal heat cycles a few times it will be fine. I think 4 1/8th. would become to loose over time.

Click to view attachment

cary
Next onto filling in all the sheet metal screws holes in the trunk that were bondo'd over. I assume the battery was mounted in the trunk for a while.

Click to view attachment

Then it was time to patch up the hacked in battery cable hole.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shot from the backside, double sided seam

Used the Edd China (Wheeler Dealers) tape patch pattern technique.

Click to view attachment

I decided to use the 110 volt welder for less wire and less heat. Hopefully it will have less burn back on the epoxy primer.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
Moonlighting Wednesday 3/22/17
Matt Whitesell came out to keep removing fuel and brake lines.
Doug came out to check on his epoxied project.
He also brought by his fuel pump and the CDI unit. Drill holes for the fuel pump bracket and do some creative addition to the battery tray for the CDI unit.

I started the night with a project review with Doug. Then I proceeded to unpack the boxes of parts that need to be welded in. welder.gif
Click to view attachment

Start with welding in the pivot threaded bushing.
Click to view attachment

The replacement part needs a little tuning up to make it look a little more like the factory piece. Round the corners and flex it up a bit to make it the same height.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lots of measurements to check and use for getting it in the correct location.

Next ...................... rear sway bar mounts
Click to view attachment
cary
I did get in a little moonlighting from my work at Rothsport. Didn't get as far as I'd have liked too. Dad's Garage oil change for the daughter. Then when we through Matt's front struts in the parts washer. It made a horrible racket and shot sparks. sad.gif . So we had to pull that apart. Needs to be dropped off at the irrigation pump shop for diagnosis.
Pump and motor turn freely. I'm thinking a brush of some sort sort wore down and turned sideways. Over my pay grade ................

Decided to round up a rear sway bar and get the rear sway bar tabs correctly located and aligned. Used Matt's sway bar and Mark's brackets. The bottom of the brackets are sprayed with weld thru primer and ready for welding in tomorrow night.

Click to view attachment

cary
Thursday 4/6/17 Moonlighting

Double checking the sway bar alignment after welding in the first side.
Click to view attachment

Welded into place. Once it warms up a bit I'll get everything recovered with epoxy.
Click to view attachment

Trunk side .................
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Man it's pleasant welding with new metal on both surfaces. No need to adjust the weld settings due to the metal density.

The next couple steps I'll need to put on my Big Boy pants. 1st, cut the hole for the oil tank/filter grommet. Then on to installing my custom seat belt pockets.

I'm getting over my aversion to cutting and drilling holes in these beautiful cars.
Here's rally #2 going on the alignment rack. I alone have probably drilled 200 holes in that car. Today it will get 40 more. I'm riveting in 2 sheets of UHMW on the floor pan between the skid plates.
Click to view attachment
raynekat
Received my stainless steel bumpers. Minor filing needed to fit the 914 Rubber fog light grills and the license plate bracket speed nuts.

The yellow fog light lens look pretty sharp.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
The yellow lenses do look nice. beer.gif
cary
Finally a Saturday off. Spent the am doing shop chores and maintenance. After lunch it was time to drill a 4" hole in the car.
Measure about 10 times, then cut. Started with finding the center of the formed oil filter console location.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Laid out Doug's template to confirm.
Click to view attachment
Perfect ..............

Needed go to the Tool Whore weapons chest. More torque ..........
Click to view attachment

Drilling the hole was uneventful. Getting the oil tank into the fender was another story.
I just couldn't get the inside stud into the hole. sad.gif
After alot twisting and turning I found the flange was hanging up on the striker plate backing plate. mad.gif
Click to view attachment

Kind of hard to see. It wanted to settle in between the two sets of nubs.
So we loosed it up the striker plate and moved it about 2mm. It then slid right in. Go figure.
Click to view attachment
I had a bitch of a time getting it back into place so I could reinstall the M6 bolts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
The free handed bottom hose hole will need a little more art work.
cary
Then onto the left custom seat belt anchor point.
Click to view attachment
Doug thanks for the soda blasting. It made cleaning up the area pretty simple.

After a couple cut downs she's fitting pretty nice. The door frame portion will be rosette welded on the outside flange. Factory look. Same with the upper cross member. The fire wall portion will be lap welded with both seam and rosette welds.

Click to view attachment
Front side

Click to view attachment
Back side. You can see the flange.

Just about ready to weld. It will get another run thru the media blast cabinet before welding.
cary
Forgot I do have one section of Rembrant work to do.
The radius's don't match. sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Later radius is smoother.

cary
Now where was I ? Seems like its been forever since I've been out here.
Click to view attachment

Beings that I'll have 4 days to work before I head to LA for Luftgekuhlt I decided to tackle the jack points first. Both sides had rust under jack point. So I needed to remove the 1st rusty layer. Both of the jack tubes where still in good shape.

Left side :
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Like I've mentioned in the past. Take it out/off in small sections. Your less apt to tear a hole out from under the spot welds.

I did find that one of the rocker panel nuts had a 6mm bolt broken off in it. mad.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Welded up my too deep cut.

Click to view attachment
Gooder as new. Drilled and tapped.

On to the right side. Same drill .......................
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I did find another snapped off rocker panel bolt on the right side. Once again, drilled and tapped.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I sprayed the opened up sections with Ospho before we headed home.
cary
Wednesday 5/3/17

Started the day cleaning the Epoxy primer out of the rocker panel cover nutserts.
Click to view attachment

Then on to the left seat belt retractor. Next task was putting the flange on the pocket so it will lay behind the firewall for strength.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/spe...-tool-1110.html
Lots of Rembranting to get a nice fit. The half a dozen long reaching Vise Grip clamps came in handy again. I worked on this while Super In Law was creating the jack point sheet metal patches. The indent for the tube had to be pressed/hammered in.
Click to view attachment

Blasted and weld thru primed and ready to go for tomorrow. I'll clean off the weld thru primer with lacquer thinner prior to respraying with epoxy primer.
Click to view attachment

After he finished up the right patch I set out to get it welded in. Kind of over did the application of weld thru primer due to the location of the patch. Lots of splattering. mad.gif But it tidied up pretty nice.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Short Episode of Tool Whore.
I don't remember if I mentioned that I changed weapons for removing the proud off the welds.
Click to view attachment

Right side finished up.
Click to view attachment
Could have welded just a smidgen hotter for flatter rosette welds. The upper weld on the tube is a bitch with the fender attached. First shot was in the upside mode. NOT.
Ended up full power and a long stick out. Don't forget to turn up your welder when you get the the tube. dry.gif
Biggest issue was the inside fender 4 rosettes. 1. Next time tape off the area prior to spraying epoxy primer. I need a longer and wider belt sander. Getting that area down to bare metal was a bit of work. Tomorrow I'm going to try the 45 degree die grinder with a 3 inch disk. 2. I didn't want to take the time to pull the readers out of my Miller Face mask so I left hand welded it with my eyes closed.

Left side all ready to go for Thursday.
Click to view attachment
cary
Thursday 5/4/17.
On to the left jack cover.
Reusing the tube I didn't like the way the radius met the bottom of the long so I straightened it and rebent it.
I weld in the vertical rosettes first then hammer it down.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Back in business ..................
Click to view attachment

In addition to the longer belt sander I'll need to find a magnetic mirror so I can see the hole on the last 2 holes.
In the future I might tinker with using the Panel Spotter in this spot. Need more practice.
Click to view attachment

Next was welding in the left seat belt bucket.
Started with fitting it tight with self taping screws.
Click to view attachment

The front was rosette and seam welded. Back got some 1" stitches every other inch.
Sides and top was just rosette welded like the factory part.
Click to view attachment

I didn't get too carried away with grinding. Basically just taking the tops off, not touching the back. My plan is to spray both front and back with a light coat of spray on seam sealer to kind of camouflage them.
The dark color is from the penetration of the back side stitches.
Click to view attachment

Need to detail the window seal channel in the am.
Doug is coming out for a visit in the am. It will be short day, I'm leaving for Lufegekult at 5am on Saturday and need to check in at Rothsport in the afternoon.

I wish I could share a photo. We left the two dirty rally cars sitting in the middle of Jeff Zwarts car collection. It is a sight to be hold. I'm pretty certain he is being his Monte Carlo 914-6 to be displayed with the 2 Mexican 1000 cars.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/rennsport-ran...ith-jeff-zwart/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.