Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just arrived in the garage: 1971 914-4 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Larmo63
I'm talking to Getty about both hoods too. Glad to hear they passed your inspection/fitment phase.

Your car looks great. smilie_pokal.gif

raynekat
Time for an update....it's been awhile.
At my last post, I had sent the car back to the paint shop to get the new Getty front and rear fiberglass GT hoods fit, finished and painted.
Also I was waiting for PMB to put together a set of "new" 914-6GT rear calipers for the car as one of my previous calipers had a blake fluid leak that could not be eliminated.

The GT calipers arrived a little while ago....completely rebuilt by PMB along with a special black coating that would match my front S calipers.
Workmanship from PMB looked stellar as you would expect.

Click to view attachment

Within a couple of hours, I had both rear calipers installed and plumbed up.
The spacer washers I had used with the previous calipers still worked, so I was able to use the brake backing plates.
The only mod that was necessary was to open up the hole in the brake pad retaining pins such that the small little clip that keeps them in place would fit....easy fix.
After hooking up the brake lines to the calipers and filling the line again to the caliper with brake fluid....wait for it....wait for it....there was nary a drop of escaping brake fluid to be seen. Success!

This car should have very excellent braking capabilities now with the S calipers up front, GT calipers in the rear both working with vented discs, 19mm ATE master cylinder, all new stainless steel hardlines and a reworked proportioning valve all from the minds of PMB.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
burton73
Your car is at the highest level that I have ever seen for a 914

You should be very proud of the work on it.

Bob B
first.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif smilie_pokal.gif
raynekat
The other big job was to get the new hoods from Getty into paint.
The previous ones were just not up to the quality that I needed from street use.

Getty put together a set of their GT hoods in record time...at least to me it seemed that way....a mere 2 weeks.

Out of the box, these looked like they were going to fit much better.
Still a good amount of body work was done along the edges of the hoods and in the corners to get the best fit/look possible.
Then the Carrara Weisse was laid down again by Superior Auto Body here in Gresham, OR.

Below shows the fitment and gaps are very nice.
And the hood has the right curvature to follow the body from front to back.

Click to view attachment

The undersides of the hood were just clear coated so that all the balsa wood reinforcing and fiberglass weave could easily be seen.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Nice freshly replated or new hardware always looks great on new paint.

Click to view attachment

The topside paint was wrapped around to the underside just slightly.
Thought this looked better than having the color end abruptly at the edge.

Click to view attachment

Overall I'm very happy with the rear hood now.
Eventually I may try to come up with a better prop rod than the current carbon fiber unit I just kind of put together quickly.
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 21 2019, 09:55 PM) *

After hooking up the brake lines to the calipers and filling the line again to the caliper with brake fluid....wait for it....wait for it....there was nary a drop of escaping brake fluid to be seen. Success!

cheer.gif piratenanner.gif Those black zinc calipers look awesome!
raynekat
Front hood...same drill.

Fit and gaps are good enough for government work....
The edges and corners did take some body work.
Think the shop used something called Corvette filler to build up the edges a smidgeon.

In this pic you can see the clear side marker lens I thought I might like with the Euro turn signals and white paint. Plans are changing on the side marker lenses.
Also with a nod to the 73 RS lightweights, a Porsche hood crest decal.

Click to view attachment

A good look at the clear coat on the bottom side of the hood.
Eventually the golf alignment rod will give way to a proper GT hood prop.

Click to view attachment

More newly plated or new hardware.

Click to view attachment

The allen head bolts were some special bolts I found on-line that are used to mount the seat bases of 911's if I remember correctly.
Love the look of the balsa wood reinforcing.

Click to view attachment

Another detail shot of how the topside paint was wrapped around to the underneath.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Close up of the hood decal.
Believe I got this from Early 911 S Registry.

Click to view attachment

Here is the side marker look I'm going for....
It's all Italian baby...as they say.
It is quite bit better looking with the vertical fluting and darker orange than the US version.
This is proving to be the most difficult thing to track down.
I've got the right/passenger side covered with an NOS unit I picked up on Ebay over the winter.
The left/driver side is tough to locate.
I've got a couple of folks in Europe trying to locate me one....buy no luck yet.
There's a WTB ad on our website here that I bump every month or so.
Hopefully this unicorn will land in my backyard one day.

Click to view attachment

US side marker lens:

Click to view attachment

Italian side marker lens:

Click to view attachment
raynekat
What's next?

1) Need to bleed the brake lines next. And possibly install the axles so they can be torqued...then I can adjust the parking brake.

2) Just Dashes is shipping back to me now a newly restored main targa trim piece and also the one at the top of the windshield. The vinyl grain pattern should be close enough. When I get them in hand, I'll post some pics of the end result.

3) Adjust the driver door/window for better fitment.

Then I'm done with my part of the project.
Next will be off to Rothsport Racing for installation of the drivetrain.
2.7 MFI RS spec engine (230hp) and rebuilt/upgraded 901 with 904 mainshaft, Guard 930 LSD, close ratio gearing, etc.
Cairo94507
Your car is looking absolutely beautiful. I really like the Italian warts too; if you happen upon a stash of those.......... beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 22 2019, 12:38 AM) *

What's next?

Then I'm done with my part of the project.
Next will be off to Rothsport Racing for installation of the drivetrain.
2.7 MFI RS spec engine (230hp) and rebuilt/upgraded 901 with 904 mainshaft, Guard 930 LSD, close ratio gearing, etc.

Just a bare bones drivetrain huh? laugh.gif
cary
biggrin.gif
Ferg
Love Love Love this build. So well done!
raynekat
Although I put together one set of wheels/tires for this car already (Mahle gas burner with 185/70VR15 Michelin XWX), I thought I needed a set of "performance" tires as well.

Slowly I purchased the four 15x6 Fuchs and had them refinished in a quasi RSR style with petals and inner appearing frosted with a polished lip.

The tires from Tire Rack just showed up today.
I went with the Toyo Proxes R1R in 195/55R15 size.
These are directional tires.
Nothing super low profile or quite R compound, although the UTQG rating is still a fairly sticky 200.
Should be fine for the street along with the occasional auto-x or track day.

Click to view attachment

Hard to argue the look of Fuchs on a 914. pray.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
My little experiment with getting some of the interior trim refinished just was delivered to me the other day.

I sent out my main targa pad and the piece of vinyl that is behind the sun visors to Just Dashes in California for a makeover.

I did this for 2 reasons.
1) All the so called 2nd hand "nice" targa pads still had issues (cracks, sun damage, etc) and cost at least $400.
2) "New" replacements either had the wrong vinyl pattern or were still in the conceptual phase with no delivery date in sight.
The price from Just Dashes was similar to the best used ones, but the delivery schedule was long (+4 months).
Shipped mine out and waited....

This is what mine looked like and was typical of all the used ones I saw.
Cracks, etc.
Do notice the opening for the hole where the mounting screws go in.
It has a fairly square or sharp edge.
You'll want to remember that when you see what returned from Just Dashes.

Click to view attachment

Factory style plug for the mounting holes. Again keep this in mind.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Pics are so-so, as I can't roll the car out in the daylight yet, but you'll get the idea.

Although the vinyl pattern is not an exact match with the factory, it is still very nice and close enough for my needs.
If you are a hard core serious concours type...maybe not.
Still need to paint that hardware (did so in later pics).

Click to view attachment

Here is what all the screw holes looked like from Just Dashes.
Remembering the very square/sharp edge to the factory holes, these were much more rounded at the edge.
So much so that using the factory plugs was not going to happen.

Click to view attachment

Here's what the piece that goes behind the sun visors looked like.
Again, I'm happy with the vinyl and finished product.
Not so much with the profile of the mounting holes.
I did come up with a solution.

Click to view attachment

I needed to cut a hole on each end of this vinyl piece for the front latch to get access to it's fastening cleat in the roof.
The hole is not yet cut in this pic.

Click to view attachment

Again those pesky rounded holes for the mounting screws.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Pics of the targa pad installed.
Amazingly all the mounting holes matched up...worried that would be a problem.
I didn't really want to drill a bunch of new mounting holes to put this piece in place.
The hardware has been repainted at this point now.

Click to view attachment

The other side.
Again, sorry for the pics.
When I get the brakes bled this week, I'll get the car off the jack stands and out in the light of day for better pics.
Oh yeah...there are plugs/caps installed as you can see.
More on that later.

Click to view attachment

So nice to have a fresh looking non-cracked targa trim piece.
This really is one of the focal points of the car when the roof is off.

Click to view attachment

A view from underneath.
Nice pretty caps all along the length.

Click to view attachment

So my solution for not being able to use the factory caps that cover the mounting screws.
These little guys that I saw at my local FLAPS (3 for $5!!!) that I ended up buying them on Ebay for something like 50 for $7. Deal.
It was necessary to shorten them a tad which I did with a set of wire snippers.
Also I wrapped the teeth with the same cloth covered tape I used when I redid my chassis wiring harness.
This made the part that shoved into the hole just a bit larger.
My modified plugs fit nice and snug and look as good as the factory ones.
Likely fit much better.
If they ever get loose....just put another wrap of the cloth harness tape around the base of the plug.

Click to view attachment

In the end, I am very happy with the result.
The refinished targa vinyl piece looks really great inside of the car.
Few people will ever know that this is not the way the car came from the factory....it's that nice.

The vinyl piece that went behind the sun visors went in without a hitch.
Just had to cut the access hole on each end for the 2 front targa latches.
Interior is complete at this point.

Only 2 things left on my list:
1) Bleed brakes
2) Make some adjustments to the driver door/window for better closure.
defianty
Absolutely stunning work. Such a beautiful car.

Really like those black caps. I'll look into those as a few of the mount holes in mine have enlarged and work hold the original caps in place. Thanks for the tip.
Cairo94507
Thanks for the tip re the plugs for the Targa pad, etc. I also had Just Dashes re-do my stuff and we may have to use your "fix". Looks perfect IMHO. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Looks terrific. Did you use factory screws for the targa pad. I was going to try to find something with a small allen head. Anything would be better than the little phillips head screws. Or maybe you just have more patience than me.
bbrock
Nice solution on those plugs. It really does look beautiful. It won't be long now! white914.jpg
cary
piratenanner.gif , just started plumbing on Mick Carey's 914 race car at Rothsport. T4 - Fat.
With your power train install, four 914 projects in the works.
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 10 2019, 06:28 AM) *

Looks terrific. Did you use factory screws for the targa pad. I was going to try to find something with a small allen head. Anything would be better than the little phillips head screws. Or maybe you just have more patience than me.

I just went with some new stainless steel phillips head screws.
Don't plan on removing this targa pad anytime soon. wink.gif
raynekat
From right to left...

Full length plug.

Cut down plug.

Cut down plug with base wrapped with cloth wiring harness tape.

Click to view attachment

Like I said you can find these at your FLAPS, but they're expensive.
You get 3 for nearly $5.

I got mine on Ebay here (50 for $7.99):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Black-Nylon-Tri...8edfa%7Ciid%3A1
porschetub
QUOTE(defianty @ Apr 10 2019, 08:00 PM) *

Absolutely stunning work. Such a beautiful car.

Really like those black caps. I'll look into those as a few of the mount holes in mine have enlarged and work hold the original caps in place. Thanks for the tip.

agree.gif ,I think those plugs look better than the original ones,my trim piece is uncracked and in good condition but some of the holes are a little chewed up these plugs would help to cover those.
What a pain this trim is to remove headbang.gif .
porschetub
Thanks for the ebay link raynecat ,you have to love their global shipping program ????? dry.gif $48.00usd to New Zealand....lucky I freight forward to Oregon for free and get cheap shipping to my country,jeez where do they find those rates confused24.gif .
raynekat
Kiwi-man....they should work great.
I could put 10 or so in an envelope and mail them off to you if you like?
raynekat
Feel like it's been a long time coming......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Jgusm3tzs

My portion of the car project is finally complete.
Had to do a bit of neck surgery recovery this summer before I could finish my part of the work.
Got the rear parking brake adjusted and entire brake system bled.
Had some help from the resident P-car guru who visited me the other weekend.
Seems that with S calipers, it does help to bleed the inner bleed valve as well as the outer.
Duh!

Got the driver door and window adjusted to the best of my ability.
Still not perfect, but what is on these cars.

So off we went today....to Rothsport Racing's shop.

Click to view attachment

Dropped the six conversion hotrod off and they will begin work next week I believe.
Need to install the drivetrain (2.7 MFI motor - 230hp, modified 901), adjust ride height and alignment, add an aux oil cooler, and whatever odds & ends.
Hoping to have the car back in time for a bit of autumn driving before monsoon season arrives here in the Pacific NW.
raynekat
The best thing about getting the 914 out of my garage is that I'm able to knock out some projects on the "other" money pit.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
smilie_pokal.gif x 2
bbrock
Yeah Dude! Giddyup! aktion035.gif
cary
Nope, went on Carl's rack right after lunch.
Engine is in the chassis room. Heard them yakking about the gearbox. Looks like your on the fast track.
raynekat
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 16 2019, 07:47 PM) *

Nope, went on Carl's rack right after lunch.
Engine is in the chassis room. Heard them yakking about the gearbox. Looks like your on the fast track.

Best be takin' some pics of the progress as it happens then Bro. wink.gif
raynekat
Things are happening already.
Stopped by Rothsport Racing today and saw that the drivetrain (engine and gearbox) were bolted into the car.
Excuse the crappy cell phone pics.

Click to view attachment

Looks like it belongs there.
Little bit of tweeting to do on Ben's heat exchangers, but nothing major.
Had to reroute the driver side parking brake cable.
Also modify the 914-6 front engine mount cap plate, but again nothing too crazy.
Re-welding the outlet on the sport exhaust to exits in just the right place.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The engine fits into the car very nicely. You'd think this car had been designed for a six cylinder. rolleyes.gif

Lots of work still to do.
All the cables, fuel lines, etc.
Need to hook up the side shifter transmission parts.
Install oil cooler with fan on the underside and plumb it up.

I'll likely check in next Monday for the next update.
Everyone in the shop seems to enjoy the 914 being there for the most part. Their bread and butter are the 911's but there was another 914 race car there besides mine.

Too bad this baby wouldn't work in my car..... drunk.gif blink.gif

Click to view attachment
raynekat
The engine is in it's final resting place.
All 2.7 liters of MFI wonderment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Obviously the trick gearbox is in as well.
HE's hooked up along with the Dansk single outlet sport exhaust.
Most of the plumbing is done, as are the electrical hookups.

We had one question this morning with the 3 wires going from the alternator to the voltage regulator.
We had a blue wire instead of a red wire.
Had to be educated by Perry Keihl that 914-6's all came with a red wire, while most 911's have a blue. The other 2 wires (black and brown) are the same with both vehicles.
You learn something every day.

Will be starting up the engine pretty soon.
Afterwhich, a nice aux cooler and fan setup will be inserted into the oil flow system.
Think the shop said they'll be going with a compact Fluidyne cooler and fan.

After that, we just need a bit of ride height adjustment and a good performance alignment, and the project is fini.
Then there will some fun. drunk.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
jmz
Bravo!
raynekat
No new pics today....just a bit of commentary.

On my way home from helping my 86 year old uncle purchase a 2013 Mini Cooper with a manual transmission (that's a great story in it's own), I stopped by Rothsport.

I was greeted with "your ears must have been burning."
What says I?
Guess they had just started the engine inside the car for the 1st time prior to my arrival.
So they re-started it again for my benefit.
Man...that motor sounds incredible with the single outlet sport exhaust.
Nice throttle response from the MFI.
Sorry my 4 banger friends, but this flat 6 is what it's all about in my book.
And considering the hp is over double what a standard 914-6 came with....

All that's left is ride height, corner balance/alignment.
And inserting a Fluidyne oil cooler with fan into the engine oil circuit.
Looks like we'll be installing the cooler on the passenger side beneath the rear trunk.
The most difficult thing will be fabbing up the oil lines to and from the cooler.
The fan will be thermostatically controlled....coming on only when needed.

I'm told if there any no problems from the point forth, that the car should be finished up next week some time.
CooL monkeydance.gif
billh1963
That's awesome news! Beautiful car inside and out.

Ferg
drooley.gif
raynekat
The word from the shop is that the ride height and corner balance/alignment is complete. So it's a runner and streetable now. Installation of the Fluidyne oil cooler/fan will take place week.

Seems like I'll have the car completely finished by Rothsport within a week. Yeehawwwwww
bbrock
Huzzah!!! beerchug.gif
raynekat
Stopped by the shop today to get a couple of pics for the insurance company. Excuse the pseudo crap pics from my cell phone (thought all modern cell phones took pretty nice pics....mine not so much? tongue.gif) Think my insurance company (Safeco) uses Haggerty for these special interest cars.

Here's a couple of exterior pics.
The car just came off the alignment rack so the rocker panels are not back on yet. These had to be removed to access the rear toe control arm set from Patrick Motorsports.

I'm happy with the ride height. Definitely "Euro" or performance height.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmz
Cute little car Doug! wink.gif
raynekat
Assorted other pics....engine bay, interior, trunks.

2.7MFI and it's accessories all fit nice and tidy in the engine compartment.
Wasn't sure how much of the amber fan shroud would be visible, but it shows pretty nicely down in there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Amber backs of the sport seats ties in well with the engine shroud and undersides of the lids.
Think I'll be losing the "Porsche" mats and going with the same Coco mats I have in the rear trunk.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's the Coco mat I have for the rear trunk. It's heavy but nice and fits the mood of the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Talking about heavy Coco mats (like in my trunk)....we've got the weight of the car.

With 10 gals of fuel, the car came in at 2176 lbs.
I think considering I have that "heavy" trunk Coco mat (ha), the rear chassis reinforcing kit, the interior Englemann kit and the six cylinder engine....that the weight of the car is pretty good.

Tried to look up factory weights of 914-6's and I got a range of 2072-2194 lbs.
I'll have to ask around to all those building recent six's....what do they weigh?

So with 230hp, my power to weight ratio is about 9.46 lbs/hp.
Think that sounds good.
All I know is that stock 73 touring Carrera RS's weighed more than this car, so their power to ratio isn't as good. wink.gif

With the close ratio gearbox, this car should really move out under acceleration.

Still waiting for the oil cooler install, then we'll do some road testing.
Cairo94507
Your car looks terrific. I like to Coco mats too and will hopefully end up with a set of the green ones for my car. beerchug.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 30 2019, 02:55 PM) *

Your car looks terrific. I like to Coco mats too and will hopefully end up with a set of the green ones for my car. beerchug.gif

I didn't see the "standard" Coco mats in green.

They do have "checkered" if you are that brave! ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Well, I got the call today to come to the shop to drive the call and let them know what I thought....as in does it need anything else.

Beautiful fall weather today in the Portland area, so who could say no to that?

Click to view attachment

The car sounds incredible through Ben's stainless steel heat exchangers and a single outlet Dansk sport muffler.
It's been awhile something like 30+ years since I've been in a 914. My very 1st Porsche when I was about 30 yrs old was an orange 74 2.0.
I had obviously forgotten much about the 914 driving experience.
Right off the bat, the 901 gearbox/shift pattern was driving me crazy.
Took off in reverse at one of the stop signs...luckily no-one behind me. Ha

Initial impressions are that there is a lot of power with 230hp sitting inches behind your head, it's pretty dang loud (in a good way), the gears really are close ratio and low, and I had forgotten about the awesome handling of these cars.
My other P car is a 73 RSR hotrod with a 3.6 Vram, steam roller wheels and tires, and something I've been driving for almost 30 years.
This was the car I purchased and modified over the years since selling the orange 914 a long time ago.
I'm very comfortable in that car.
In this new 914-6 hotrod....not as comfortable yet.

So it really rides likely too stiff for what I will use it for most.
If this was a dedicated auto-x/track car.....perfect.
For the street, the 21mm torsion bars and 150lb springs are too much for the low weight (2176lbs) of this car.
I'm already considering getting a set of 19mm t-bars and 110 or 125lb springs for the rear.
If I can get them quickly enough, I'll get Rothsport (Carl) to get them installed next week.
Otherwise, that will be a project that can wait until next Spring.

The handling is really quite different from the 911.
The steering is so light with the modest width tires (195/55x15) I have on the car.
The Toyo R compound tires are very grippy.
Quite the slot car.
Can't wait until next Spring when auto-x season starts up...this will be one fun car.

So I've got to work on my 901 shifting a bit.
If you try to guide it too much from 1st to 2nd, it's quite balky.
But if you just nudge if from 1st into the neutral slot, let it find it's bearing for a fraction of a second, then proceed North again with the gear lever, it's very smooth sailing.
Will just take me a bit of practice.

The factory 380mm steering wheel that I love so much may be too big.
I'm about 6'2" and my legs nearly are up in the steering wheel.
Carl the mechanic (about the same size as me) noticed the same.
So I'm sizing up a Momo 350mm heritage Prototypo that has distressed leather.
It's very similar to the Magnus Walker steering wheel....just without all the Magnus Walker do-dads on it.

Nimrod me, mounted the rear view mirror too high on the windshield, so it's next to useless currently.
I'll fix that with some guitar string and shave it off the windshield and re-mount lower.
The sport seats from GTS Classics (Watkins Glen model) are just about perfect.
As are the retrofitted retractible seat belts I insisted for this car.

As for driving impressions of the 230 hp 2.7 MFI engine.
Well let's just say it's got plenty of go power....especially once you pass 4500rpm.
After that, it's just about like launching off the deck of an aircraft carrier I'd say.

Click to view attachment

Ride height looks good I think....not too low.
Plenty of room in the rear for bigger wheels and tires if I'd like to try a set of 15x7 Fuchs with some 205, 215 or possibly 225 tires.

Not much left to do at this point.
The car runs so cool....barely getting it up to 85-90C, that Carl thought let's just run it for awhile without adding the auxiliary cooler and see how it goes.
I'm in total agreement.
The on board engine oil cooler is a "high efficiency" unit that Stoddard sells, plus the 2.7RS engine is actually quite unstressed at only 8.5:1 compression ratio.
Most of the longhood 911's and even the 73 RS all came with the trombone loop in the front fender well that really didn't do all that much in the way of cooling.
They mostly relied on the on board engine oil cooler
I'll keep you posted on how this all works out.
If needed, we can slip a Fluidyne aux oil cooler with fan underneath the rear trunk to help out with the cooling duties.

So Carl needs to still install the heater control boxes that come off the heat exchangers, do a double check on everything, and that will be a wrap. Unless we get the softer t-bars and springs in next week in time.

Once home, I'll take a bunch of better pics and get it all posted.
And drive, drive, drive while the fall weather permits.
Coondog
Wow, what a incredible build. Congrats and enjoy your car. driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
Awesomeness!!
914forme
wonderful build
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.