Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just arrived in the garage: 1971 914-4 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Cairo94507
Congratulations on your maiden trip. Great observations; I am sure you will get accustomed to the 914 again. Enjoy as you dial in the finer details. beerchug.gif
bbrock
w00t.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif
This is awesome! Thanks for posting the detailed first impressions. I had to chuckle about getting used to the 901 shift pattern again. It's been more than 30 years since I drove a 914 too and have wondered how rusty I'll be. I still find myself trying to shift my other cars in the 901 pattern though so I'm hopeful it is still in muscle memory.
mepstein
Doug - Congrats on the drive. I would drive it 200-300 miles before you make any decisions on the shocks and springs. If everything is new, it can take a little while to settle in and loosen up. Same with the trans. They often smooth up after a couple hundred shifts. You might also want to check tire pressure. I bet your 914 car is quite a bit lighter than your 911 and the narrow tires have less give than the steamrollers.
On the other hand, a 21mm torsion bar is way stiffer than a 19mm. More than just the 2mm would suggest. I think closer to 20% and again, your car is probably lighter than a stock 914-6.

When my six conversion grows up, I hope it is half as cool as your car. I love all the details!
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 12 2019, 11:00 AM) *

Doug - Congrats on the drive. I would drive it 200-300 miles before you make any decisions on the shocks and springs. If everything is new, it can take a little while to settle in and loosen up. Same with the trans. They often smooth up after a couple hundred shifts. You might also want to check tire pressure. I bet your 914 car is quite a bit lighter than your 911 and the narrow tires have less give than the steamrollers.
On the other hand, a 21mm torsion bar is way stiffer than a 19mm. More than just the 2mm would suggest. I think closer to 20% and again, your car is probably lighter than a stock 914-6.

When my six conversion grows up, I hope it is half as cool as your car. I love all the details!

Mark....it's likely a good call to wait a bit before softening up the suspension. I think I just overshot the mark somewhat when I was designing the ride quality vs performance capabilities for this car. If my car was more "GT", I think this stiffer spring setup would be ideal. Time will tell.

As far as the shifting goes...I think it's mostly pilot error at this point. My 901 skills are simply not as good as my 915 skills at the current time it appears. tongue.gif

Not sure if mine is lighter than a stock 914-6 as I've got all that chassis stiffening metal added along with the interior Engelmann sheet metal as well. I think it's an OK tradeoff....a little added weight vs superior overall rigidity to counteract the inherent flexibility/twisting these 914 chassis's tend to exhibit.
Final weight with 1/2 tank of fuel was 2176 lbs so I'm happy with that.
It's still a relatively lightweight car when compared to modern cars.
Couple that with the power this engine makes and the combination definitely gets your attention.
raynekat
These are the smaller replacement steering wheels I'm considering.
The stock wheel at 380mm is cramping my leg room.

The 1st wheel is the Momo Prototipo "Heritage" edition. It's 350mm overall diameter.
This is essentially the same wheel as the infamous Magnus Walker wheel without all the Magnus Walker doo-dads.
It has distressed leather which looks cool and gives it instant patina.

Click to view attachment

The next wheel is a 350mm Nardi leather.
The nice things about these wheels is they have the scallops on the backside that are great for your fingers to slot into. The Momo is completely smooth on the backside.

Click to view attachment

Last wheel is again a 350mm Nardi but this one is wood.
Normally I wouldn't consider a wood wheel but it might look nice in my interior and play off the custom gear shift knob I had built.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Any thoughts on any of these?
I'm leaning towards the Momo at this time.
I already have the correct Momo adapter in hand as well which is nice.
The Nardi will require either re-drilling the adapter as the bolt circles between Momo and Nardi are slightly different.
Or buying a Momo to Nardi adapter piece.
Coondog
I use this with my Momo wheel. Every little bit counts.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I've never been a fan of wood rim wheels in a 914. I don't get the "hot rod" vibe from them. I like the Nardi since it looks a lot like a 911R wheel - my favorite. It's funny, The 380 wheels fit me fine.

The stiff chassis might be sending more of the road through the wheel than a stock car. It just proves that there is no one setup that is best.
RickS
This thread has been a fantastic read from start to finish. It’s always interesting how the finished product varies from the original vision, whether by chance or purpose. Really enjoyed your writing and pictures. It is magazine worthy. Not to get too bromancy but then there are your mad metal skills (as well as the Super) which make reading really enjoyable. Very well done.

I went down a similar path with my ‘71 1.7, but fortunately the only metal work was flaring the rear fenders a bit for the 7s and some minor repair around the jackpoints. Went with the Rennshift + Jwest + tailshift which makes a nice “gated” shift. Did the reinforcement thing and 5 lug conversion with a complete elephant polybronze setup. Like you even converted the passenger seat to slide fore/aft. Then completed it with a carbed rebuilt 3.0 with a 914-6 oiler. Had as sport muffler but got tired of it making my ears ring, so went with a stock Danske with the 6 HEs. Like yours, wanted it looking pretty stock on the outside, but relatively radical for the drivetrain and suspension. I too felt like the suspension was way too firm but got used to it and in the corners it is just unreal. It turned out to be a great ride which I enjoy much more for short haul than my hot rodrodded 911. Very similar paths indeed and very well done, from your neighbor to the north.

Enjoy your beauty!Click to view attachment

raynekat
QUOTE(RickS @ Oct 13 2019, 08:59 AM) *

This thread has been a fantastic read from start to finish. It’s always interesting how the finished product varies from the original vision, whether by chance or purpose. Really enjoyed your writing and pictures. It is magazine worthy. Not to get too bromancy but then there are your mad metal skills (as well as the Super) which make reading really enjoyable. Very well done.

Thanks for the compliments.
It was Cary and Super-in-Law that did all the metalwork....not I.
Many, many people contributed to the completion of this car.
I was just the dreamer, general contractor, assembler and accountant/payer. Ha
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 12 2019, 06:54 PM) *

I've never been a fan of wood rim wheels in a 914. I don't get the "hot rod" vibe from them. I like the Nardi since it looks a lot like a 911R wheel - my favorite. It's funny, The 380 wheels fit me fine.

The stiff chassis might be sending more of the road through the wheel than a stock car. It just proves that there is no one setup that is best.

Guess I have most of my height in my lower body....meaning long legs.
I can live with the 380mm for cruising.
But for auto-crossing, I'll need the 350mm for rapid action when blasting through the slalom pylons.
So it looks like I'll be going with the Momo distressed wheel.
Should be a good one for the car.
Now if can just find the "right" horn button.
sixnotfour
Nice Package,, driving.gif
the seats are Nice,,,,
George Follmer..horn button idea.gif
raynekat
Nice horn button.
Here are 3 more that caught my eye....

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
raynekat
She's home finally.
Had a false start last week.
Half way home, the engine started to cut out and wouldn't run at any kind of throttle.
Trailered back to Rothsport, and they tracked it down to a fault in the fuel shutoff solenoid for the MFI system.

Beautiful day in Portland, so I went back out and fetched the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Safe at home in the garage.

Click to view attachment

Sharing space with its stablemate.

Click to view attachment

Lots of little projects to take care of besides driving it as much as possible in the next week or two while the weather is nice.
Typical Portland winter monsoon season is coming soon.

Need to lower the mirror on the windshield so I can behind me better.
Lubricate both the steering wheel and gear shift....squeak, squeak.
Purchase and install a small steering wheel. The current 380mm factory wheel is just too big for my long legs. Looking at a 350mm aftermarket of some type.
Need to purchase a new micro switch for the MFI fuel cutoff circuit. Mine is obviously dodgy. The one that is failing was new when I purchased it. Bad QC I think.
Repair and repaint right corner of the front valence. Tow company jacked that up with their tow straps getting me to the shop initially.
Nice set of Coco floor mats to match what I have in the trunk.
Copy of the prop rod that some of the 914-6 GT's used. Kelly Moss will make me one this winter. Then I can ditch the long fiberglass rod.
Purchase the heater box barrel nuts so I can finish the heat/defrost install in front of the engine.
My parking brake light just stays on, so I think the little switch down by the parking brake handle is no good. Again some bad QC on some of these parts.

Long term projects for next year include:
-possibly softening up the suspension by going with 19mm T-bars (current 21mm) and 125# rear springs (current 150#). Just drive and we'll see for now.
-gearing is very short. Great for auto-x, rallying, etc. Long drives on the highway, maybe not so much. Again it's not an immediate issue. But might look at changing out 5th and possibly 4th gears.
-refinish and repaint the roof. Looks fine, but if you're a perfectionist, it might need some attention. Ha

That's all for now.

I'll get some more close up pics of various parts of the car up here in the coming weeks just for fun.

Car is running cool so far. Just 90C after everything is all warmed up. We'll take a wait and see approach to adding the aux oil cooler. Likely need an auto-x on a very warm day or a track event to get the temps up there. Or some 105F weather as we sometimes get here in the summer.

Green car's nickname is Kermie.
914 will be Snoopy....black & white with an attitude.
mepstein
The handle on the wagon is making me cringe.
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 22 2019, 05:09 PM) *

The handle on the wagon is making me cringe.

It's actually wrapped in harness tape....but you're right.....have to move that. Ha
jmz
Nice toy box Doug. The teener turned out really nice.

I kind of like the leather horn buttons that that guy on EarlyS is producing that fit the momo wheel.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 22 2019, 07:10 PM) *

She's home finally.
Had a false start last week.
Half way home, the engine started to cut out and wouldn't run at any kind of throttle.
Trailered back to Rothsport, and they tracked it down to a fault in the fuel shutoff solenoid for the MFI system.

Beautiful day in Portland, so I went back out and fetched the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Safe at home in the garage.

Click to view attachment

Sharing space with its stablemate.

Click to view attachment

Lots of little projects to take care of besides driving it as much as possible in the next week or two while the weather is nice.
Typical Portland winter monsoon season is coming soon.

Need to lower the mirror on the windshield so I can behind me better.
Lubricate both the steering wheel and gear shift....squeak, squeak.
Purchase and install a small steering wheel. The current 380mm factory wheel is just too big for my long legs. Looking at a 350mm aftermarket of some type.
Need to purchase a new micro switch for the MFI fuel cutoff circuit. Mine is obviously dodgy. The one that is failing was new when I purchased it. Bad QC I think.
Repair and repaint right corner of the front valence. Tow company jacked that up with their tow straps getting me to the shop initially.
Nice set of Coco floor mats to match what I have in the trunk.
Copy of the prop rod that some of the 914-6 GT's used. Kelly Moss will make me one this winter. Then I can ditch the long fiberglass rod.
Purchase the heater box barrel nuts so I can finish the heat/defrost install in front of the engine.
My parking brake light just stays on, so I think the little switch down by the parking brake handle is no good. Again some bad QC on some of these parts.

Long term projects for next year include:
-possibly softening up the suspension by going with 19mm T-bars (current 21mm) and 125# rear springs (current 150#). Just drive and we'll see for now.
-gearing is very short. Great for auto-x, rallying, etc. Long drives on the highway, maybe not so much. Again it's not an immediate issue. But might look at changing out 5th and possibly 4th gears.
-refinish and repaint the roof. Looks fine, but if you're a perfectionist, it might need some attention. Ha

That's all for now.

I'll get some more close up pics of various parts of the car up here in the coming weeks just for fun.

Car is running cool so far. Just 90C after everything is all warmed up. We'll take a wait and see approach to adding the aux oil cooler. Likely need an auto-x on a very warm day or a track event to get the temps up there. Or some 105F weather as we sometimes get here in the summer.

Green car's nickname is Kermie.
914 will be Snoopy....black & white with an attitude.

nice to see it finally on the road, and that stable-mate is sweet! I have been having thoughts of selling my Maserati for a A/C equipped 911 as a DD work commuter slash second toy and "investment", just don't know hwere to start when looking for this. has to be less than $25k- , anyway enjoy the 914 now, well worth the work and wait!

-- and I am with Mark, move that wagon and wrap it in bubble wrap!
raynekat
Moved the mirror down about 1-1/2" and that seemed to do the trick about actually using it to see behind myself. tongue.gif
Kind of a bonehead move mounting it so high.
Luckily a guitar string was able to get the mirror off the windshield easily.
A new mirror sticky patch and I was good to go.

Also working on other "user friendly" mods.
Changed out the big wood gearshift knob for a smaller factory example.
There's a guy on Ebay that's refinishing some bakelite knobs for the 901 so it's got the correct shift pattern.
Now the knob doesn't hit my leg as much with the 1st gear (or reverse) gate.

Momo Prototipo "Heritage" 350mm wheel has been ordered.
It comes with distressed leather giving it more of a patina look.
The necessary Momo hub (8000) is MIA but there's another company that supposed makes the necessary part.
It's been ordered.
Settled on a horn button from Car-Bone.
When it arrives, I'll post a pic.
The smaller OD (350 vs factory 380mm) should give me some more leg room.

Been working my way through the faulty fuel cutoff circuit on my MFI engine.
This thing put me on the side of the road 1st time I picked it up from the shop.
It's supposed to cut off the fuel on off throttle situations saving you fuel and preventing backfiring.
Mine was hooked up incorrectly.
I've rectified the wiring issue, sourced a new micro switch which works great and am now waiting for a new RPM Transducer (speed switch) from the UK.
The old ones were transistor based and had a lot of issues with the legs of the transistors (there's 5 of them) braking off.
I believe the new one is solid state so should be much more reliable.
raynekat
Finally got the heat/defrost hooked up today. Not much to do but get the barrel nuts in there and see if everything fit.
Driver side cable was too close to the heater valve if that makes any sense.
I ended up shortening the heater valve actuating arm by 1/4" and that made all the difference.
Not much fun crawling under a low car to do this work with just the jack and jack stand.
It would have been much easier for the shop to do this.

Initially, the flapper wouldn't flap.
That turned out to be the stub from the heat exchanger being long enough that it went too far into the heater valve and jammed up the flapper.
So I just pulled the valve off the HE stub about 1/4" and that did the trick.
The flapper would finally flap.

Passenger side was a bit easier as I didn't need to shorten the heater valve arm.
Lessons learned on the driver side were applied to the passenger side, and the job was complete.

Only thing left to do was start up the engine, let it warm up a bit and see if I had either heat or defrost...hopefully both.
Bingo!
It was all operational, so I'll be warm and toasty on any dry winter night that I venture out and about.

"Heritage Prototipo" showed up today.
Man, it's a great wheel.
The weathered leather is a nice touch.
Just waiting for the hub which will be here any day.
raynekat
Click to view attachment

Just ordered a couple of 3" 18-Ga copper discs.
Will attempt to make a custom sized horn contact disc as my factory contact disc is not compatible with the Luisi steering wheel hub contact pin location.

Just need to put a 1.5" hole in the center of the disc and drill some mounting holes in the disc.
I think this will work.

I like everything about the Liusi hub...the shape, how it fits on the steering shaft, how the Momo steering wheel mounts to it, etc.
Only the location of the horn contact pin is a problem.
raynekat
popcorn[1].gif

Some back story.
The "Momo compatible" hub showed up the other day.
It was a Luisi hub model S5904 supposedly for Porsche 914 1969-71.
Everything fit well except that the location for the spring loaded horn contact pin was not in the correct location for the stock 71 914 horn contact ring.

Either I send the Luisi back and keep looking for the super rare Momo 8000 hub or come up some shade tree engineering.
The above 3" disc is my attempted work around.
raynekat
Got the car out for an appraisal this week.
Avant Garde Collection doing this took some nice pics of the car.
They have an incredible photographer you may have seen on BAT once or twice.
These are big, but I'll not shrink 'em down as the details get lost.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Couple of more...

Click to view attachment
raynekat
And....

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Finally.....

raynekat
The details of these pics opened up on my large Apple Mac are just incredible.
Sorry I can't share that bit of it.

So what's new?

Usually teething issues I think.
Might have a 914-6 engine relay board issue.
Charging system is currently not working.
Both the alternator and voltage regulator have tested individually as good.
Kind of leaves only the wiring (doubtful) or the relay board as the issue.
I did have some issues with the relay board previously, but thought they had all been addressed.
Possibly not....

Ditching the accordion parking brake handle and will go with a later style.
The mechanism on the folding handle I have is just not working correctly.
Cairo94507
Absolutely stunning car. Congratulations and enjoy. beerchug.gif
cary
Home Sweet Home ...................
raynekat
Updates....

I pulled both bumpers off in order to remove both valances.
They both needed work.
The front got mashed by the flatbed guy and his straps.....argh.
The rear needed some tweaking as it had been hit and we didn't quite get some parts of it straight enough.
So both are in getting another round of bodywork and "hotrod" black applied.

At the same time, I'm getting the fuel vapor recovery tank "fancied" up.
My rattle can paint job just wasn't getting it.

Just got in the new Coco mats for the cabin that match the one I already had for the rear trunk.
They are beauties.
Also just installed my new "Heritage" Momo Prototipo steering wheel complete with rare Momo 8000 hub/adapter.
The correct hub/adapter was definitely a challenge to find.
Ended up scoring one over on the Early 911 S Registry.
With the thicker seat pad in my sport seats, I'm sitting up a bit higher and the tops of my legs were barely interfering with the factory wheel.
Going from a 380mm OD down to a 350mm OD helped in that regard.
I'll try to get pics of both of these up in the next day or two.

I'm still working on the fuel cutoff circuit on the MFI injection on my engine.
Slowly troubleshooting the system.
Also I'm experiencing charging issues as well.
Freshly rebuilt alternator and new voltage regulator and new battery.
Currently troubleshooting this as well.
Hoping it's not the alternator, because we all know what that means in a 914-6....
Double argh.
bkrantz
Looking good, Doug.
raynekat
Got the fuel cutoff circuit on the MFI motor operating finally today.
It took a new micro switch, a new solid state RPM transducer and some corrections to the wiring to and from the micro switch.
Now with the engine running over 2000rpm, when you depress the micro switch the engine shuts off until below 1000 rpm, picks back up and hunts between about 1500 and 1000 rpm....as it should.j
For the MFI engine, when you get off the throttle, the fuel should shutoff until the engine revs drop below a certain value (about 1000 rpm) and then the fuel turns back on so the engine doesn't die.
Porsche did this to give better fuel economy and prevent backfiring during deacceleration.
Nice to know my system is functioning as designed.
MFI cars are not known for the excellent fuel economy, so every little bit helps.

So another of the teething problems with an entirely new/rebuilt car solved.

Next up....the charging system.
Both the alternator (freshly rebuilt) and the voltage regulators (I have 3 at my disposal...2 of which are brand new Bosch) are still suspect.
Let the games begin.
raynekat
Some updates coming....

Just installed a new battery as the Lithium battery just didn't have enough Amp-hr to be a good daily driver type especially at night with the lights and wipers on.
So out with the light weight (11 lbs) and in with the new (42 lbs).

I purchased this AGM battery made by XS Power (model D4700) from Jegs onllne.
$279.99 including shipping plus you need a set of $10 terminals.

Specs:
12-Volt
CA: 760
CCA: 668
Ah: 62, 2000W / 3000W
Max Amps: 2900
Reserve Capacity: 110 Minutes
Weight: 42.2 lbs

Click to view attachment

Fitment is beyond perfect.
Terminals in the correct location....negative closest to the firewall.
Cleats/feet on both the front and back of the battery allowing use of the factory clamp.
Battery fits perfect in the stock battery tray.
Like it was meant to be there.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Added a battery cover/rubber band from AA today.
Fits the battery perfect and helps tone down the wild graphics on some of the battery.
I can live with the rest.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Wish I'd known about that battery before I bought my Optima. It's just a black wrap away from being about perfect.
raynekat
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 24 2020, 05:53 PM) *

Wish I'd known about that battery before I bought my Optima. It's just a black wrap away from being about perfect.

I'll likely do that Brent.
Maybe a titanium wrap on the front with a Bosch sticker on it.
Something like this...

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Here's the final rendition of my battery install.
Added a bit of black vinyl and a nice Ebay Bosch decal and voila....

Would fool most folks in thinking I had a real Bosch battery installed.
Gotta keep them guessing.
Ha

Click to view attachment

Quite a transformation from what I started with:

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Who's the mad scientist now? Very cool! aktion035.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 12 2020, 08:35 PM) *

Who's the mad scientist now? Very cool! aktion035.gif

Brent.....you're a tough act to follow.
I'm doing my best. blink.gif
raynekat
Just got an email from Stefan at GTS Classics (custom seats for your Porsche).
They finally got the material in to do my center cushion....and they've knocked it out already.

Click to view attachment

So should be shipping back to be soon for installation.
Will look spiffy with my existing GTS Classics tartan seats.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Looks very custom and perfect. beerchug.gif
raynekat
Short couple minute startup sound track/video of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJSmCRrQ8s

This is the engine.
A 2.7 MFI RS spec engine making right at 230hp and built by Rothsport.
Using a set of Ben's 1-5/8" stainless steel heat exchangers and a Dansk single outlet sport exhaust.
The factory Leistritz muffler pulls the power down about 10hp.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Will try to get some kind of driving video in the next few days......
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 17 2020, 06:55 PM) *

Short couple minute startup sound track/video of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJSmCRrQ8s

This is the engine.
A 2.7 MFI RS spec engine making right at 230hp and built by Rothsport.
Using a set of Ben's 1-5/8" stainless steel heat exchangers and a Dansk single outlet sport exhaust.
The factory Leistritz muffler pulls the power down about 10hp.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Will try to get some kind of driving video in the next few days......

Beautiful smilie_pokal.gif
raynekat
It's been awhile since I've put any updates.

Today began installing the 914Rubber fender liners.
They come with rivets for fastening the plastic liners to the mounting brackets.
It quickly became apparent that installation was going to be difficult if I used the rivets.
The rivets fasten the liner to the mounting brackets and then the brackets use your rocker panel and valance sheet metal bolts to hold the liner in place.

So I opted to use speed nuts that sit on the mounting brackets so that hex headed metric screws could be used instead of the rivets.
Here was the hardware and bracket ready to bolt into the car.

Click to view attachment

The reason I went this will become apparent pretty quickly.
Here's the leading edge (front) that utilizes the valance mounting bolt.
In theory you could have put this in as a unit (bracket and liner) as you actually have access to the bolt that mounts the valence.

Click to view attachment

The real problem with the rivet method is mounting the trailing edge (rear) bracket that uses the rocker cover bolt.

Click to view attachment

You can't access the bolt to secure the bracket to the rocker cover as it's behind the liner.
So with my method you mount the bare bracket first and then fasten the liner to the bracket.
Here's a better view of the finished product.
No way you're getting your hand in behind the liner to tighten or loosen the bracket with the liner in place.

Click to view attachment

With the speed nut and hex head screws I used, you can easily take the liner off in a matter of minutes without removing the brackets at the valance and rocker panel.
Inspection and cleaning is still an easy thing to accomplish.

Now off to install the other three corners.
Cheers
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Maybe I should consider a set of those for my car? I like the clean install you did. Let us know if the other 3 were as easy as the first. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Nice work! Bookmarking for reference in case I get a set of those. I can't quite tell, does the bracket hardware replace the speed nut on the rear of the rocker cover? I ask because I'm missing one and they turn out to be kind of an oddball size.
raynekat
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 31 2021, 04:54 PM) *

Nice work! Bookmarking for reference in case I get a set of those. I can't quite tell, does the bracket hardware replace the speed nut on the rear of the rocker cover? I ask because I'm missing one and they turn out to be kind of an oddball size.

The bracket just sits on top of the flange that the rockers are mounted to.
In my car, the speed nuts are on the rocker panel or valance, and i screw a hex head down through the mounting flange into the speed nut on the rocker or valance.

In the below pic, you can see the two hex head screws that hold the liner to the L shape bracket. The horizontal part of the bracket just sits on the mounting flange for the rocker panel. The hex head screw pointing down goes through the bracket, then the mounting flange and finally into the speed nut that is on the top edge of the rocker panel.

Hopefully that is clear as mud....or moose poop?

Click to view attachment
raynekat
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 31 2021, 04:15 PM) *

Maybe I should consider a set of those for my car? I like the clean install you did. Let us know if the other 3 were as easy as the first. beerchug.gif

The other front was just as easy.
I ended up shortening both front liners by about 1" as they seemed too long for where they needed to sit. They were all bound up in there if that makes any sense?
Also trimmed the sides of the liners facing out about 1/8-1/4" for better fitment.
Definitely some custom fitting is needed for a very nice fit, but it's not too taxing.

I've mocked up the rears, and they look easy and appear to fit better than the fronts.
Waiting on some more installation hardware from Belmetric to install the rears.
I'll post more pics and comments at that time.
raynekat
Tackled the rear liners today.

Front bracket in place:

Click to view attachment

Rear bracket in place:

Click to view attachment

Front part of fender liner bolted to front bracket:

Click to view attachment

Rear part of fender liner bolted to rear bracket:

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Click to view attachment

In general, the 914Rubber fender liners were fairly straight forward to install.

A little bit of mods to the brackets (trimming and painting) and trimming or shortening the fender liners themselves.
I ditched the supplied rivets and went with my speed nut/hex head screw instead to be able to easily remove the liners in the future (for cleaning and inspection) without removing the brackets.

Not an inexpensive addition to our cars at $245.
But well worth it as the fender liners should keep the water, trash, mud, leaves, etc away from the rocker panels and the far recesses of the fender wells.
A good preventative measure for future rust.
TRS63
I took the time to read all your thread..wow, what a nice work, and a dream engine joining a perfect 914. Well done!

Antoine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.