Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just arrived in the garage: 1971 914-4 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
raynekat
Got the annoying squeak/scraping sound (shifting into reverse or 1st) I've been experiencing the past year.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351402
raynekat
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Got the GT hood prop from PMB Performance installed.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351480
Jett
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 22 2019, 03:10 PM) *

She's home finally.
Had a false start last week.
Half way home, the engine started to cut out and wouldn't run at any kind of throttle.
Trailered back to Rothsport, and they tracked it down to a fault in the fuel shutoff solenoid for the MFI system.

Beautiful day in Portland, so I went back out and fetched the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Safe at home in the garage.

Click to view attachment

Sharing space with its stablemate.

Click to view attachment

Lots of little projects to take care of besides driving it as much as possible in the next week or two while the weather is nice.
Typical Portland winter monsoon season is coming soon.

Need to lower the mirror on the windshield so I can behind me better.
Lubricate both the steering wheel and gear shift....squeak, squeak.
Purchase and install a small steering wheel. The current 380mm factory wheel is just too big for my long legs. Looking at a 350mm aftermarket of some type.
Need to purchase a new micro switch for the MFI fuel cutoff circuit. Mine is obviously dodgy. The one that is failing was new when I purchased it. Bad QC I think.
Repair and repaint right corner of the front valence. Tow company jacked that up with their tow straps getting me to the shop initially.
Nice set of Coco floor mats to match what I have in the trunk.
Copy of the prop rod that some of the 914-6 GT's used. Kelly Moss will make me one this winter. Then I can ditch the long fiberglass rod.
Purchase the heater box barrel nuts so I can finish the heat/defrost install in front of the engine.
My parking brake light just stays on, so I think the little switch down by the parking brake handle is no good. Again some bad QC on some of these parts.

Long term projects for next year include:
-possibly softening up the suspension by going with 19mm T-bars (current 21mm) and 125# rear springs (current 150#). Just drive and we'll see for now.
-gearing is very short. Great for auto-x, rallying, etc. Long drives on the highway, maybe not so much. Again it's not an immediate issue. But might look at changing out 5th and possibly 4th gears.
-refinish and repaint the roof. Looks fine, but if you're a perfectionist, it might need some attention. Ha

That's all for now.

I'll get some more close up pics of various parts of the car up here in the coming weeks just for fun.

Car is running cool so far. Just 90C after everything is all warmed up. We'll take a wait and see approach to adding the aux oil cooler. Likely need an auto-x on a very warm day or a track event to get the temps up there. Or some 105F weather as we sometimes get here in the summer.

Green car's nickname is Kermie.
914 will be Snoopy....black & white with an attitude.

Love the contrast!
raynekat
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 22 2021, 08:16 PM) *

Love the contrast!

Now that I've got ALL the leftover projects completed on the 914, I can spend a bit more time on the other money sink.

Click to view attachment

Just getting the seats reupholstered in a nice subtle GTI plaid.
And a new set of boots from Pirelli.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
I've never been a fan of the Dansk single outlet sport exhaust that's been on the car.
When I had the engine built, Rothsport dyno'd the engine with the sport exhaust along with a stock Leistritz single outlet muffler.
The sport exhaust made a bit more power on the top end....but not all that much.

I wanted to go with the Leistritz but the outlet had never been fit and welded to pass under the rear valance on my car.
Luckily we have a great muffler shop in Boring where I live that has a very talented fabricator/welder.
I spent a couple of hours with him a week ago and fit a new tip to the Leistritz.
His welding was killer good and the new outlet install looked factory.

I had previously had the Leistritz ceramic coated, so I needed to address the new semi stainless tip.
The ceramic coater is quite expensive, but I found something online that looked like it could work.
So I purchased a can of this stuff from Eastwood.

Click to view attachment

It's 2K product, so you mix the 2 sections of the can (one that includes the catalyzer) and you're good to go.
Once mixed, this product lasts about 48 hrs which is an eternity compared to other 2K spray products I've used.

End result looked great....don't go by my crummy pics.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Also installed the nice factory chrome tip that goes on these mufflers.
Pics on the car in the morning and I'll share a video so you can hear it.
Sounds a million times better than the sport muffler.
Very much early 911-ish.
Liking it.
Jett
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 22 2021, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 22 2021, 08:16 PM) *

Love the contrast!

Now that I've got ALL the leftover projects completed on the 914, I can spend a bit more time on the other money sink.

Click to view attachment

Just getting the seats reupholstered in a nice subtle GTI plaid.
And a new set of boots from Pirelli.

Click to view attachment

Beautiful car!
raynekat
Couple of quick videos.

First one (more of a sound bite as the vid is out of focus) of the sound of the 2.7MFI through the new Leistritz muffler.

https://vimeo.com/manage/527088825/general

The 2nd of the twins enjoying a ride down the driveway and back.

https://vimeo.com/manage/527088184/general

What kind of face you make when you are nearly 4 years old after a quick blast in Daddy's car. Ha!

Click to view attachment
raynekat
It appears that Snoopy will be sold in the coming months.
The prospective buyer understands what went into putting this car together, and wants to be the next caretaker.
He was looking for a narrow body car with the mechanical fuel injection.
Plus he is a car nut with multiple vintage vehicles.
A perfect fit if there ever was one.

So look for further updates, but it appears the car will be moving farther West in the very near future.
All great news.

This car will be missed, so I'll be driving it bit more until it's gone.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=805
106]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
raynekat
More pics....

raynekat
Couple more....

mepstein
Still one of my favorite builds. beerchug.gif
Jett
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 22 2021, 11:45 AM) *

Couple more....

Without factoring in the time and knowledge necessary to build a car like this… I guess that the build cost was in the ~$110k range, and expect that the BAT price goes for ~$135k or more depending on the pictures and driving video.
raynekat
Will never make it to BaT...selling beforehand. The comments in BaT would have been interesting and some likely very controversial. Build cost higher than $100k by quite some margin. Drivetrain alone was +$60k. It was an education in doing a more comprehensive build/resto so the final numbers aren't that important to me. It was all about the experience, what's possible or impossible (some things nearly were...ha), etc. Definitely a time of my life I'll always remember. I'm proud of the final product. Is it perfect? Not even close. It's certainly unique in many ways i think.

I'll put a drive video here soon.
raynekat
Received a down payment on Snoopy today, so it's a "gone pecan" as they say. Shed a tear or two thinking about all that was put into this car by many folks over the past 5 years.
Quite a journey and learning experience for me.

The car is heading to Nihon (Nippon) or the Land of the Rising Sun.
The car will be in great hands with ownership being taken over by another vintage car nut.

And now for something completely different.
My other vintage P car is less than 2 days left on Bring A Trailer.
Hoping for a great ending on Wed, Sept 1 12:30pm Pacific time.
Get your popcorn.
I'm getting my Valium. Ha ohmy.gif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-pors...d_placed_seller
raynekat
Go Kermie, Go

Click to view attachment

mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 30 2021, 11:29 PM) *

Received a down payment on Snoopy today, so it's a "gone pecan" as they say. Shed a tear or two thinking about all that was put into this car by many folks over the past 5 years.
Quite a journey and learning experience for me.

The car is heading to Nihon (Nippon) or the Land of the Rising Sun.
The car will be in great hands with ownership being taken over by another vintage car nut.

And now for something completely different.
My other vintage P car is less than 2 days left on Bring A Trailer.
Hoping for a great ending on Wed, Sept 1 12:30pm Pacific time.
Get your popcorn.
I'm getting my Valium. Ha ohmy.gif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-pors...d_placed_seller

Looks like it’s doing well though I know these projects aren’t cheap to build. GLWTS!
Cairo94507
Two outstanding examples of Porsche's best. GLWTS on BAT. beerchug.gif
Beach914
add a 914 GT to go with those and I'm in heaven !

Great cars.
raynekat
Started the farewell process today.
Tonight Kermie leaves on an auto transport truck.
The white 914 will do the same in the coming weeks.

Click to view attachment
Dion
Well done Doug. smilie_pokal.gif
bbrock
Thanks for taking us along for the ride. It has been quite a journey beerchug.gif
peteinjp
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 3 2021, 01:32 PM) *

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. It has been quite a journey beerchug.gif

The journey (and the ride) are just beginning for me. I'm feeling very fortunate to be able to take care of this car from now on. It is exactly what I would build if I had the time and talent. Doug really managed to pull it off. For me a true dream and definitely a long term stewardship. I have probably read this thread more times than anyone!

Currently educating myself the ins and outs of importation of an older car to Japan. Everyone said it would be tough- tons of difficulties. But as of today it actually looks to be quite simple- a rarity here- ha.

Can't wait for that first award moment where I'm asking myself as I let off the clutch- what have I gotten into now! I know I'm going to love it.

We have great mountain roads where We live and along with my current 1990 911 build and my 84 diesel Land cruiser (Winter camp machine) this car will get some exercise for sure.

Pete
bkrantz
Congrats, Doug, but hard to imagine you without Kermie.
raynekat
How do you say it?
Kermie has left the building.

When they are finally gone is when you know if there was any true attachment or not.
From the atmospheric highs and excitement of the BaT sale...back down to earth with the grim reality that...hey the car is really gone after owning it for over 33 years.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

raynekat
Before the car "flys" off to Japan mid next month, I thought I'd get some pro pics taken of the car for memories, etc.
Same group that BaT uses on their shoots....Snappr.
Great photographer for not all that much money.
Had the pics on my computer the very next day.
Enjoy....

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Pete from Japan was leaving with the 914 today.
He's tall like me (6'2" ish) but very excited about the car and being the new owner.

Click to view attachment

Headed north on a "sunny" Oregon day (haha) to the Seattle area to spend time with friends and get acquainted with the car before it is loaded on a boat and heads to it's new stomping grounds.
Thank goodness for the Raptor bedliner that I used on the entire lower end of the car as well the great fender liners from 914 Rubber.

Click to view attachment

Pete says he'll continue on with this thread as he gets familiar with the car and has his own unique experiences with it.
I wish him all the luck and many happy kilometers in Japan.
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 14 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Pete says he'll continue on with this thread as he gets familiar with the car and has his own unique experiences with it.
I wish him all the luck and many happy kilometers in Japan.

cheer.gif popcorn[1].gif He's getting one helluva ride.
peteinjp
Thanks for the intro Doug and yes- it’s a hell of a car. I drove it for a week or so after picking it up and it’s everything I hoped for and more. I’m basically breaking the car in and have had no major issues- it was obviously built with care. As I cruised out into the mountain passes in Washington state I was keeping Cary (R.I.P.) in mind- a celebration of his work.

Doug was a fantastic host and we spent a good amount of time going over the details of the car and just hanging out a bit. Thanks again!

I’m new to Porsche relative to many of having picked up a 1990 c2 about 5 years back. I love that car- the newest car I’ve ever had (not including the wife’s Mitsubishi van) and the first with power steering. Having been a bmw 2002 guy for decades and my daily driver is a 1984 diesel land cruiser. I’m located in Japan so the 914 will be joining these cars there.

Click to view attachment

Despite the things I love about the 964 I missed the lighter feeling and the simpler tech of older cars. I decided a mid engined car was something I had to try but am not at all interested in a boxer or cayman. I love the flat 6 (building a 3.8 now) and love mfi from my bmw 2002tii. Had to be a 914. I did consider a factory 6 but ultimately wanted a more purpose built car that I could feel free to modify. Also wanted a body that had been reinforced and gone through (there is a “no new projects“ rule in effect at home.) Then Doug mentioned that he was planing on auctioning and I got in touch right away figuring it would be a long shot but…

Considering myself very very fortunate. Spoke with Cary and also some people in the business and heard all I needed to know.

Obviously there is not much left to do with the car but I thought it might be fun to see a little about where it ended up and how it gets used.

Here is the scariest part- watching it disappear at the port. You can just see it if you zoom in a bit. Should arrive mid November. TBC!

Click to view attachment
jkb081
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 12 2015, 11:28 PM) *

My plans are to do these instruments....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ala 356 style.

Damn! those are beautiful!!!
jim dorociak
What a great read. I managed to get some finished pictures of your car off the internet without knowing it was your car. Truly inspiring great job, documented well - a road map to follow. I have a 1975 conversion that is in progress now, and I am on the fence as to add metal flares or keep narrow body - and of course what engine to use. Currently running 2.7CIS and thinking a 3.0 with motronic or a 3.2 short stroke with EFI but always watching the budget. Thank you so much show showing your link to your build on your last post. Jim
raynekat
So what did I replace the 71 914-6 conversion with?
Well one of these of course....off to the "dark side" for awhile it seems. tongue.gif
AWD, 2800 lbs and 200hp turbo 2 liter.
Mods are coming almost immediately.
Never met a car I didn't want to customize at least a little bit.

Just 14k miles on it, a one owner from Japan.
Arrives in a couple of days.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

And then what is replacing the 73 911E hotrod that I owned for over 30 years?
Well one of these of course....currently somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic as we speak.
Supposedly at the dealer by late March.
2022 992 Carrera 4S in Oslo blue with lots of goodies.
So I'm still hanging with some sort of Pcar crowd with the 2nd car. wink.gif

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Aerokit! wub.gif
PCCB! aktion035.gif
Oslo! w00t.gif
peteinjp
So- about time for a long overdue update on Snoopy. I have not been just neglecting this thread- There was an "issue" to say the least with the shipping and to be perfectly honest I was just trying to not think about it because it was literally keeping me awake at night. I just didn't want to make an unnecessary drama here in the thread but now that the facts are in I'm doing my due diligence. Also it really hurts to let down Doug with the news of all this.

Well the car is finally in its new home and though the whole idea of this purchase was to get a "not a project" car that I really dug- it has become a bit of a project in the end. that said I'm still very very excited about the car and have plans to keep it long term.

When I saw the car in person at Doug's it was everything I expected and more. Every part was in new or better condition. All the fresh plating, new interior, All levers pedals, cables working as smoothly as they should. I drove it up to Seattle to visit some friends before shipping it out and everything was perfect. Took it out for a drive on the cascade loop- first time out that way for 20 years and the XWX tires are surprisingly good to push around a bit- automotive bliss!

Click to view attachment

Dropped it off at the dock (as I reported above) and heart in hand dropped off the keys and title. Then things went downhill. The shipping company (Tacoma to Yokohama) for reasons unknown to me did not get the export paperwork done for several months and in the mean time Snoopy was sitting outside on the pier in tacoma thought the worst of winter as they sprayed it down with various salts and other melting agents...... A total nightmare for me. The company was evasive and very difficult to get any information from. I had purposely delivered he car early enough in the year that there would not be any snow/ ice salt involved and the total time from door to door was supposed to be 3 weeks..... GRRRR!

Doug BTW was and continues to be a total champ backing me up in what ever way possible. And I also want to preface that in no way was any of the work done sub par. All the issues that have developed are due entirely to corrosion on the dock due to direct contact with Tacoma's best melting agents. In looking at the rust you will see that it is from within the seams for the most part- areas that could not have been coated or painted without the seams being taken apart. In fact I'm impressed with how well it held up! Neither Doug nor I were expecting the car to need to survive such abuse. For me with is a fair weather car that may get caught in the rain from time to time or on a road trip- but certainly not subjected to any road salts etc.

Almost 4 months to the day I get the message the car has arrived and its warp speed (for an 84 diesel land cruiser) to Yokohama

Click to view attachment

To get my head in the right state of mind gotta have the right clothes to pick up the car:

Click to view attachment

damage report to come....

Pete
rhodyguy
Sorry your experience with Tacoma was a bad one. You bought a beautiful 914. What line eventually took the car across the Pacific?
Cairo94507
Man, Pete I am saddened to hear about the transport debacle in Tacoma. But I am certain you will get that beautiful car back to what she looked like before arriving at the docks. beerchug.gif
Shivers
Dog Gone! Sorry to hear that. Considering they have exploding mountains there, I guess it could have been worse. I think ALL 914's got that treatment leaving the factory. wink.gif Have fun anyways
raynekat
As the ex-owner, this turn of events was very distressing on many levels.

1) Most importantly I wanted Pete to get the best possible car that I could provide.

2) A lot of hard work and dump truck loads of money went into the build...it seemed to be all down the drain so to speak.

Obviously this is a huge learning experience.
I never would have guessed that the salt air and the salt for melting the ice/snow at the Port would have done damage so much so quickly.
I looked up the chloride ion (Cl-) and it's especially devious and damaging species.
It can easily penetrate through layers of coatings that normal water cannot.
My guess is that sitting at the Port for many months in that salt water environment was the equivalent of your typical 914 sitting outside in the pouring rain for about 2 years.
No one would ever do that, but that's basically what happened to Pete's car.

Hopefully he'll get some financial settlement from the shipping company that really dropped the ball.
Beyond that, Pete has a plan that will require pulling a lot of the car back apart and addressing all the seams and thin paint on the edges of the metal, and other corroded parts.

Again not what I ever envisioned with selling this car to Pete.
I've told him I'd help out in any way, help him track down any materials or parts he needs, etc.
I know you'll all be rooting for both Pete and Snoopy to make a triumphant return to glory in the near future.
wonkipop
wow.

how was it shipped? in a container on a freight ship?

it should have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere and then been loaded into a container and secured. from there sent to docks as a container.

thats how mine was done 30 years ago. LA to melb. australia.

i picked it up at this end in the shippers warehouse.

sorry to hear this story.
thats a real nice car.

i do remember being a little concerned about it all back then.
but the shipping company was good.
i beat the car back to australia by 10 weeks.
photos arrived in post of the car after it was taken off car transporter in LA having arrived from chicago. showed its condition and showed it being put in container and secured.
the container was inside a warehouse somewhere in LA. not at the docks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.