Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do you buy a "2.3" displacement badge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
era vulgaris
I've seen a few cars with non-stock displacement badges, like this one:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=484426

I'm curious where people are getting these. I wouldn't mind putting one on my car, although I'd need the black plastic version.
Mark Henry
A member was making them, but he had health issues so I don't think he's doing them anymore.
914forme
Seems like this would be a perfect niche market item, that a 3D printer could handle using ABS filaments. While it would not be pot metal, that could be done also. Print out the emblem in a starch material. Mold it, and then make you one off in a metal of your choice. Pop the mold clean it up, and paint it, or gold plate the sucker. Depending on the metal choice Powdercoating might not work.

You could mold it in lab metal, and powder coat that, if you wanted to spend some time molding the darn thing.

Or keep it a 1.7L badge and well just shock the out of them when you pull away.

Some people have taken multiples and cut and built a single. So in your case a 2.0 badge and a 911 #.0 3.2 etc.... and cut and make it, solder it back together or epoxy, and finish with paint or plating. If your going to plate talk to them, and make sure your process is compatible.

If your car happens to be a late 76 model, well, you can get it cut out of vinyl and it would be correct.

Mine being a 74, I would just do it in ABS on the 3D printer and be done. Sand it up, paint it with the same paint I used for all my black bits.

But then I debugged my entire car.

I should beef up my tooling with some CNC stuff. That could work also CNC this out of billet and have fun. So many ways to make a badge, I'm guessing it comes down to taste and coin.

$ paint and mask
$ vinyl
$$ ABS 3D printing - or $$$$+$ if you need to buy a 3D printer
$$ - cut up badges, don't for get your time
$$$ 3D printed with molding of a low melting point metal in a casting
$$$ CNC
Finishes will ad cost onto each of these.

Did you by chance check the vendor section, some one might be doing these all ready.

So over on pelican there is This Guy no affiliation, just a quick find.
Mueller
Not too difficult to make, however I don't have a 914 badge on my car to get the correct size from to mill it out.

If you can remember the member, perhaps I could get the files from him and send some $$ his way for them.
era vulgaris
I did a search in the classifieds, but nothing came up. Maybe I didn't use the right terminology?

I hadn't thought about the 3D printer option. A good friend of mine has one. Maybe I'll talk to him about seeing if he can print one out.

My car started life as a 2.0, so I've got the 2.0 badge. I'd just need to convert the 0 to a 3.
Andyrew
This is what you want to search in, not classifieds. Our member vendors.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=4
That being said.. Mazda has a 2.3 badge...
Bruce Hinds
I remember the discussion, it was about where to get the proper Font.
Mueller
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 12 2015, 06:29 AM) *

A member was making them, but he had health issues so I don't think he's doing them anymore.

It was Jim....I PM'd him just to say hi, however looking at some threads he let someone else take over that venture...an A&P girl or something like that.

I had just taken off a NARP badge off the back of my new 914, it was machined aluminum, wondering if Jim made it for the previous owner, I'll have to ask him where he got it from.

SA-914
I searched A&Pgirl archives and could not find any references to badges...she sells lots of parts out of Tulsa..

I may have to try to make one on my 3D printer...
AZ914
Era. find yourself a 1.8 and cut the 8 in half.
7TPorsh
Font if needed... http://www.dafont.com/914.font
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 12 2015, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 12 2015, 06:29 AM) *

It was Jim....I PM'd him just to say hi, however looking at some threads he let someone else take over that venture...an A&P girl or something like that.

I had just taken off a NARP badge off the back of my new 914, it was machined aluminum, wondering if Jim made it for the previous owner, I'll have to ask him where he got it from.

Yep ...but I believe there is a good 'ol club style cluster fuck on that deal shades.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 12 2015, 04:07 PM) *

Era. find yourself a 1.8 and cut the 8 in half.

Oooh, good idea! idea.gif

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 12 2015, 04:13 PM) *

Awesome!
Kansas 914
DELETED
76-914
If a decal will do we have a member, Wayne aka arcadesforever, who will make 1 or 10.
SA-914
I'm going to print these tonight to see how they look. The font is a little thicker than the original badges. I don't have any ABS, so it will be out of PLA. Better than nothing...Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 12 2015, 03:01 PM) *

If a decal will do we have a member, Wayne aka arcadesforever, who will make 1 or 10.

Wayne did my side stripes. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
SA-914
A little sanding and paint and maybe ready for primetime..
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Jim seems to enjoying a healthy streak... Maybe he'd take it on???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.