Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa top scoops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
Is there such a thing as a TASTEFUL targa top air scoop?? confused24.gif
76-914
I saw a nice one on a Boxster that precissionchassis built. It's on here some where. I know; thx for nutin. lol-2.gif
914forme
I got your 6 beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

All that work to feed this, yep air to air intercooler

Click to view attachment
championgt1
I saw a Honda Accord this morning with a scoop on the roof. confused24.gif
matthepcat
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Feb 12 2015, 02:23 PM) *

I saw a Honda Accord this morning with a scoop on the roof. confused24.gif

IPB Image
914forme
and this one confused24.gif Click to view attachment

Reminds me of a Fiero with an Indy Scoop, okay maybe that one looks better.

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
FugUgly. dry.gif

Back to the original question. Did U mean air scoop for the cabin or motor?
Mueller
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 12 2015, 02:10 PM) *

I got your 6 beerchug.gif

All that work to feed this, yep air to air intercooler

He said tasteful.... I see that Boxster above and visions of mating season for dolphins pops in my head
scotty b
mellow.gif
porsche-tom
air for the engine or intercooler
Mugs914
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Feb 12 2015, 01:27 PM) *

Probably not...

But that being said, here are a couple that we have done:

This one feeds air to the cooling fan on a six. It sits about four inches closer to the firewall that a stock six and we wanted to make sure it got plenty of air.
Click to view attachment

This one feeds air to the intake and fan. I am vintage (as opposed to old) and remember when Formula 5000, F-1 and Can Am cars had high air boxes like this, so while it certainly isn't for everyone, I like the look. This is actually a prototype for a scoop that will feed the intercooler on a turbo race car.
Click to view attachment

So no, tasteful is right out... tongue.gif

Cheers!

Mike
Cuda911
^^^ Hey, I think I've seen that car somewhere.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Feb 12 2015, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Feb 12 2015, 01:27 PM) *

Probably not...

But that being said, here are a couple that we have done:

This one feeds air to the cooling fan on a six. It sits about four inches closer to the firewall that a stock six and we wanted to make sure it got plenty of air.

This one feeds air to the intake and fan. I am vintage (as opposed to old) and remember when Formula 5000, F-1 and Can Am cars had high air boxes like this, so while it certainly isn't for everyone, I like the look. This is actually a prototype for a scoop that will feed the intercooler on a turbo race car.

So no, tasteful is right out... tongue.gif

Cheers!

Mike

Sorry, but I just saw the huge whale tail too and the two together makes me think Boing 727, just saying '. And I'm not a pilot, unless you consider a 914 is always just taxiing! confused24.gif
Larmo63
Nothing on this thread looks anywhere close to good, or tasteful. IMHO
ripper911
What about running a channel from the frunk through the cabin, or center tunnel, and into the engine bay?
barefoot
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Feb 13 2015, 08:06 AM) *

What about running a channel from the frunk through the cabin, or center tunnel, and into the engine bay?

I've seen images somewhere of a race 914 with a huge duct there the cabin.
JmuRiz
I remember that too, but that was to get cooling air to a 914/4 race car engine bay, directly into the cooling fan.

I do remember LONG ago (like when I was looking at chuxter's site) someone made a 1/2 circle plexi piece and mounted it to the trailing edge of their targa top. It was to divert air from just above the targa top - down into the engine cover grill. I can't find a picture of it though.
914forme
You mean like these

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
Sort of like those. But the more "traditional" setup is to run a large piece of HVAC ducting (approximating the diameter of the fan) from the trunk back through the cabin, through the firewall, and terminating at the fan inlet. The air was picked up from the headlight holes--which was due to some racing regs intended for Little Brit Cars that allowed cooling air to be ducted from the headlight openings.

Jmu, I think John Rogers had a setup like what you describe across the back of his roof. I don't recall seeing pictures of it, but he described it in at least a couple of threads on the Bird Board.

--DD
ThePaintedMan
Racer Chris had one of the HVAC ducts running from front to back. I'm sure he'll dig up a picture for you guys. I remember it looking really cool!
d914
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Feb 12 2015, 07:21 PM) *

air for the engine or intercooler

If its for an intercooler, wouldn't be more efficient to go to an air/water intercooler..
the actual "radiator" could be feed off of ducting from the rockers.. They are typically smaller,,, plenty of places to hide..

Ive seen quite a few setups similar to racer chris's and a roof scoop w lexan pieces feeding the engine..So you could see through it!!
JmuRiz
Found it, from 2002...has it been 13 years already...
Painted the same black as the top would hide it quite well with getting the benefit of added cooling air.
IPB Image
euro911
Click to view attachment

shades.gif
toon1
I carved some scoops out of foam that I was going to cover in CF and mount them on the sail panel. I havent finished them yet.

Just to see if they would work I taped some plastic irrigation pipe to the sail panels and drove around. It worked suprisingly well. Looking at megasquirt readings as I drove my IAT readings would drop by 10*.

The CHT readings dropped by 5-10* also
914GTSTI
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 14 2015, 02:57 AM) *

You got me FOTFL av-943.gif . That is some tasteful idea ! beerchug.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 13 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Found it, from 2002...has it been 13 years already...
Painted the same black as the top would hide it quite well with getting the benefit of added cooling air.
IPB Image

How about something like that underneath to funnel the air up into the engine compartment? The airfoil in the pic not only cools the engine it also fills in the negative air pressure area behind the passenger compartment letting it slip thru the air better.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 14 2015, 11:25 AM) *

How about something like that underneath to funnel the air up into the engine compartment?

Counterproductive. The top of the engine bay is where the cooling air comes from, and it exits under the car. The top and bottom should be separated by the engine tin. Ducting more air underneath the engine will result in less pressure differential across the cooling fins, so less air flow--so less cooling!

There are flaps under the front of the engine bay on later cars; they produce a slightly lower pressure under the car to help pull the air through the engine a little easier to help cooling.

--DD
mgp4591
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 14 2015, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 14 2015, 11:25 AM) *

How about something like that underneath to funnel the air up into the engine compartment?

Counterproductive. The top of the engine bay is where the cooling air comes from, and it exits under the car. The top and bottom should be separated by the engine tin. Ducting more air underneath the engine will result in less pressure differential across the cooling fins, so less air flow--so less cooling!

There are flaps under the front of the engine bay on later cars; they produce a slightly lower pressure under the car to help pull the air through the engine a little easier to help cooling.

--DD

Ah, I see... I'm not thinking air cooled enough... Could work for a water cooled conversion for taking heat off the exhaust tho. idea.gif
Maltese Falcon
Harold von K / 9146 turbo.
He used 2 of these air scoops from an open-wheel race car of the '70s era.
It was exceptionally fast, sounded wicked, sticky and threw flames, but the scoops looked like something at the harbor biggrin.gif
The air scoops did work well for engine+intercooler chores.
After this car retired its club racing turbo duties...it was returned to its first livery: an original Kremer Bros. built+raced 9146gt .
Marty
Click to view attachment
maf914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 13 2015, 09:43 AM) *

The well-known black SCCA Kirby 914 had a similar cooling air arrangement. I saw it many years ago when the SCCA Runoffs were held at Road Atlanta. (As I said, many years ago!) It had air intakes at each headlight opening, which were ducted in the front trunk in a Y-configuration, then combined to form a single round duct through the cockpit to the engine bay. The type-4 engine cooling fan had been stripped of its blades, so the cooling air delivered must have been adequate.
carr914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
I always thought these scoops like a 904 would work. But if done wrong, the car would rust even faster

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
This simple air scoop was made from a cabin defroster duct ,some flex tubing and a bracket. Just used on track days to direct some cold air on to the intercooler. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.