Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice? Recommendations? Lend a hand?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theleschyouknow
I picked up my 73 (stock 2.0) this summer and have done very little to it but drive it when the weather allows- just short trips around town. The time has come and is probably past due for some maintenance. Car runs great 99% of the time only issue is a sometime engine cut out on a warm start up unless I feather the throttle.
I'd like to change the oil and filter and check/adjust the valves and give it a good general once over.

So... I have the oil (brad penn 20-50) but need to order the filter and...
what else?
I am thinking probably at least the oil plug/strainer crush washer and gasket set.
Should I go ahead and get the whole maintenance kit from pelican?

kit includes:
oil air & water filters, valve cover gaskets, oil drain plug gasket, spark plugs and distributor cap rotor & points (& condenser- where applicable confused24.gif ) I figure if I don't need some of this stuff now I may in the future.

I'd rather do it myself but am an amateur wrench at best and never worked on any Porsche, any mid-engine anything or any A/C engine or adjusted the valves on anything. talk about tabula rasa! (I have read many threads and manuals -Haynes and others, it all seems pretty straight forward but still nervous to tackle this stuff alone)
Any recommendations for a good shop in the Fort Worth area?
Or anybody Fort Worth local wanna help walk me through some of this? I'd be willing to pay for somebody's time & I can come to you or I have ample space here and of course I'd provide the beverages and barbeque. Like I said I'm a blank slate here, anybody wanna take this opportunity to BS and tell their stories to someone who hasn't heard it before impart some their hard-earned wisdom?
Thanks in advance. chime in here or PM me -any advice or suggestion is welcome!
Chris
JawjaPorsche
If you change the oil strainer gaskets, you MUST careful not to over tighten the nut. Be extemely careful.
76-914
agree.gif Muy importante. IRRC it's 7 ft lb's. Bandjoey and a few others are in your area. I'm sure one of them will join in here. Simple stuff but you need to be "walked thru it", first. Equally important is setting your valves correctly. Too loose is clackity sounding; too tight and you'll burn some valves. Getting the dwell dialed in can be frustrating if you run std. points/condenser set up. The good news is you can do it! piratenanner.gif
bandjoey
Where is home in North Texas? Basic tune up parts are available locally in mid cities Dfw.
theleschyouknow
thanks for replies and suggestions
I have read about not over-torquing apparently can break some internals and ruin a block -yikes! will definitely be aware
thanks again keep em coming
abnrdo
Have you changed out your plastic fuel lines for stainless?
malcolm2
Most of the complaints about these cars comes from folks that don't do the work themselves... My opinion.

If you feel comfortable doing the maintenance, you should. Save money, learn about the car, etc.... If not, you REALLY need to find someone that knows what they are doing with these cars. They can screw it up much fast than you could, if you are not careful. Not knowing what you are doing is one thing. Thinking you know what you are doing and jumping in with both feet is quite another.

Everything you talked about doing is simple, except the valve adjustment, but the folks on this forum can walk anyone that knows a wrench from a screwdriver thru it.

Do you have a Climer or Haynes manual? Get one, whether you get it all greasy or not, you will learn stuff, and have ammo and knowledge if you go to a shop.

Tell use more about the car, engine, fuel delivery, I'm sure others will have some quick and easy things for you to check and adust or upgrade.

Good Luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.