Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New dash upper and lower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
Im looking at having my dash (both top and lower) redone and have a quote of $1400 shipped to me, is this a fair price for a very good restoration?
mepstein
Seems a bit high but I would want to know if that price will make it look perfect or just "redone". It's your money so you have to decide what's right.
wes
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2015, 11:17 AM) *

Seems a bit high but I would want to know if that price will make it look perfect or just "redone". It's your money so you have to decide what's right.

I also thought it to be high and have herd that it just can't be done to be as new!
Ive seen a few that have been done very nicely though with the stitching more in line with a newer style look only with the 914 dash, and I actually like that a bit more but I have this thing that says keep it at bit more stock.
McMark
It's fair in my opinion. Quality takes time. Time is money.

But if it's sewn covers, the stitching betterbe f-ing STRAIGHT!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 13 2015, 02:01 PM) *

It's fair in my opinion. Quality takes time. Time is money.

But if it's sewn covers, the stitching betterbe f-ing STRAIGHT!

agree.gif
BIGKAT_83
Way too high. I had this and a lower knee pad done for under $350.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
type47fan
I had mine done in '04 when Dr. Evil was doing them in San Diego. The cost then was $175.00 stitched, with the ash tray deleted. It still looks new after 10 years.
World member Alberto, "lagunero", took over the recovering after Mike moved to PA.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MrHyde
Those dashes look fantastic.
Tom_T
QUOTE(wes @ Feb 13 2015, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2015, 11:17 AM) *

I also thought it to be high and have herd that it just can't be done to be as new!
Ive seen a few that have been done very nicely though with the stitching more in line with a newer style look only with the 914 dash, and I actually like that a bit more but I have this thing that says keep it at bit more stock.

Try "Just Dashes" in the LA / San Fernando Valley Area, since they do "like original" (i.e.: no stitches) on many other cars dashes, & I've heard of a couple of 914 owners done there too, but have not seen them, but I have seen their work on other makes & it's excellent from what I've seen. They have the heat & vacuum machines to properly shrink fit the vinyl leatherette skins to the foam cores.

The question will be match of the vinyl leatherette's graining, so ask for a sample of what one's they have first, to check against the original stuff.

Also try Camp914 to see if they're doing them again.

$1400 seems high, but then that's $750 each for dash & lower pad ... to put it more into perspective.

Please do post back what you find, & how they turn out, at wherever you pick!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JmuRiz
Bigkat and type47fan,
Those look great
Bigkat: who did yours? I'm interested
Type47fan: I didn't know someone took over Dr evil's program from back in the day. I may have to contact the new guy for details.

My dash has a cap now, not bad...not not nearly as cool looking.
bdstone914
I agree that is way too high. I know of a member who had an upper recovered in leather for $700 including the flat panel in front of the dash. It was done by an old school German craftsman was specializes in high end work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.