Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal of front lower black valence?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
I'm planning on removing the black front bumper valence on my '73 2.0 in order to do some more detailed cleaning. I can see there are two small bolts on each side that can be accessed through the wheel wells but can't see where the valence is attached in front, below the bumper.

Can some tell me how to remove the valence?

Thanks as always.

Steve
siverson
Remove the bumper first (4 bolts). Then it's pretty obvious.

-Steve
914Next
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 13 2015, 01:55 PM) *

Remove the bumper first (4 bolts). Then it's pretty obvious.

-Steve

I was afraid that was the answer. Seems more involved than I had holed for but will check it out. As always....this place rocks?
mepstein
Front bumper = 4 bolts - easy. Same with the rear. Then you can unbolt the rubber bumper tops from the bumper and clean under the rubber. Also easy. You'll be glad you did this.
rhodyguy
Great opportunity to clean behind the bumper. If you've never had the bumper off , don't lean on the bolts a whole lot.
914Next
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 13 2015, 02:34 PM) *

Great opportunity to clean behind the bumper. If you've never had the bumper off , don't lean on the bolts a whole lot.

Thanks...are these the two bolts the ones on each side at the forward side of the wheel wells? And does the bumper and black cap come off as one piece? As you can tell I'm a 914 neophyte?
GeorgeRud
Bumper and rubber top come off as a unit. Be sure to break all the four bolts loose before removing any single one and be sure to have someone hold the bumper so it doesn't come crashing down then the bolts are removed.
TheCabinetmaker
If the bumper top bolts (accessible from under the bumper after removeal) have any rust on them I'd leave them be. The studs like to break off the rubber, then your screwed.
green914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2015, 11:26 AM) *

Front bumper = 4 bolts - easy. Same with the rear. Then you can unbolt the rubber bumper tops from the bumper and clean under the rubber. Also easy. You'll be glad you did this.

agree.gif It was ugly.
Cairo94507
I would not shy away from this. I would suggest you spray some type of penetrating oil on all of the bolts and nuts visible and let it soak for a bit - maybe have a cocktail while it is soaking - and then loosen the bolts.

I might also suggest you clearly mark where the bumper and bolts were, assuming it is all nicely lined up prior to removal, so you can put it back where it was.

This is a simple DIYer and you will thoroughly enjoy cleaning and perhaps, dare I say, waxing behind the front bumper so everything is all nice and clean.
76-914
Piece o' cake. Be like us; do it one time and become an expert. happy11.gif
drbill
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 13 2015, 03:12 PM) *

Piece o' cake. Be like us; do it one time and become an expert. happy11.gif

I know, right? These gems are easy to work on. I took the bumpers off my '74 and replaced them with some perfect, rechromed tit-less ones. Another suggestion is to replace the old bumpers bolts with some SS ones. The originals on mine were not only corroded, but bent. beerchug.gif
Garland
When and if you, take off the rear bumper, there is a 5th nut under the bumper rubber top, centered above the licence plate location. This helps support the center of bumper top.

Just look above your licence plate.
914Next
QUOTE(914Next @ Feb 13 2015, 04:06 PM) *

Thanks...are these the two bolts the ones on each side at the forward side of the wheel wells? And does the bumper and black cap come off as one piece? As you can tell I'm a 914 neophyte?

Sorry but I don't think anyone answered my question. Are the four bumper bolts the ones that are accessible (two on each side) in the front wheel wells?

Thanks
mepstein
QUOTE(914Next @ Feb 13 2015, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Feb 13 2015, 04:06 PM) *

Sorry but I don't think anyone answered my question. Are the four bumper bolts the ones that are accessible (two on each side) in the front wheel wells?

Thanks

Yes
euro911
... and the (4) rear bumper bolts are in the trunk, below the tail light bucket area.
etcmss
are you asking about removal of front metal valence BELOW the bumper or the bumper top?
If it is the valence below the bumper you have to remove 4 screws inside the front trunk just below the shelf the tire cover sits on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.