Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for Gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hi everyone- Scotty just sent me my original Six gauges so I can take them to Palo Alto Speedometer and have them restored. So the speedometer is pretty straight forward, it will just be totally restored and the existing mileage retained as it is the true mileage of the car and worked until the car was taken apart.

The tachometer is a different story. It will be restored and converted to work with the 3.2 Motronic motor going in the car. I am also considering having an oil pressure gauge installed into the tachometer, similar to the turbo gauges on the 930's. I figured that was the most obvious place to put this critical gauge. I am curious what other people think about that though. So please let me know your thoughts.

Now the last gauge is going to convert to a triple gauge. I am thinking oil temp, cylinder head temp and possibly amps. I want that gauge to retain a fairly stock look with the typical 914-6 warning lights and symbols in it.

The fuel gauge is going to move down to the storage compartment right below the dash bottom with possibly another gauge next to it. I really do not want to add a clock but can't really think of another gauge for that position. I would like to have two gauges in the storage box for balance.

Please feel free to add your thoughts. Of course we will be keeping the silver dot feature of these gauges.

Here is my stock tachometer:
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Here is the the stock Six combo gauge:

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
And finally, my original speedo:

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I was also thinking about asking Palo Alto Speedo to change out the odometer to the newer 911 style that adds one more digit so when the car turns 100K it does not go back to zero. Thoughts? OH and you may have noticed the extra combo gauge in the background of the second picture. That is likely the one we will be using to make the new combo gauge so I can retain the original Six combo gauge in storage with the other original Six parts we will be replacing with newer stuff - thanks Scotty for that gauge smile.gif.
screenguy914
An ammeter? I think you'll have more electrical info with a voltmeter.

Essential gauges:
Oil pressure
Oil temperature
Fuel level
Speedo/Odo
Tach

Nice to have:
Cyl. head temperature
A/F ratio
Voltmeter
Exh. Gas Temp (EGT)

MHO
Steve
If this is a street car a head temp gauge is overkill IMHO. I would either go with a stock 911 pressure and temp gauge and add the fuel gauge to the tach or install a triple gauge like i did and be done with it.
Click to view attachment
scotty b
250 on the speedo mellow.gif
Steve
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 14 2015, 05:59 PM) *

250 on the speedo mellow.gif

They drive pretty fast in the bay area. driving.gif Or maybe its KPH instead of MPH, so it looks like they are driving fast!! happy11.gif
Cairo94507
WTF are you guys talking about? The speedo is stock at 150. I will concede it is a volt gauge I want, not amps.
earossi
I have a set of gauges sitting at Palo Alto right now for my /6 conversion car. I did something a little bit different.

First, I purchased a used set of gauges out of a 930 turbo. Palo Alto has replaced the center mounted boost gauge on the tach with a fuel level gauge. And, the tach face will have the red line altered to match my 3.2 motor.

The gauge space that normally carried the fuel quantity/oil temp combo gauge will now house a 911 combo gauge that monitors oil pressure and oil temperature.

And, the speedo was left pretty much stock.

For those who have not had their gauges rebuilt.....it is not cheap! Refurbishment of the above gauges and reconfiguring them as noted will end up costing very close to $1200.

North Hollywood would have been a tad less expensive (maybe $1000 for the work), but they are under new ownership and have gone through a loss of personnel and quoted me a backlog of over 4 months! So, I passed on them. Does not sound good for their company.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(earossi @ Feb 14 2015, 11:28 PM) *

I have a set of gauges sitting at Palo Alto right now for my /6 conversion car. I did something a little bit different.

First, I purchased a used set of gauges out of a 930 turbo. Palo Alto has replaced the center mounted boost gauge on the tach with a fuel level gauge. And, the tach face will have the red line altered to match my 3.2 motor.

The gauge space that normally carried the fuel quantity/oil temp combo gauge will now house a 911 combo gauge that monitors oil pressure and oil temperature.

For those who have not had their gauges rebuilt.....it is not cheap! Refurbishment of the above gauges and reconfiguring them as noted will end up costing very close to $1200.

North Hollywood would have been a tad less expensive (maybe $1000 for the work), but they are under new ownership and have gone through a loss of personnel and quoted me a backlog of over 4 months! So, I passed on them. Does not sound good for their company.

How recent is this sale of the company? I just had some gauge work done in December and the turn-around was a week! biggrin.gif
earossi
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 15 2015, 01:35 AM) *

How recent is this sale of the company? I just had some gauge work done in December and the turn-around was a week! biggrin.gif

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that the company was sold about a year ago. i first contacted them in the Fall of last year (Oct or Nov), and spoke with a guy who was very knowledgeable. At that time, he quoted about 4 weeks for a job the size of mine. And, he provided approximate pricing.

When I called back in early January to confirm things, I was told that my contact had just left the company and that they were now backlogged about 4 months. Since that won't work for me, I moved on to Palo Alto. But, to me, it sounds like they are going through some sort of shake up resulting in loss of personnel.

Just my 2 cents.
914forme
I would do a tripple or a quad gauge and load it with what ever you want, go with a 930 tach, and convert the boost gauge to what ever you want. 4-5 aux. gauges in the stock location. No cutting, no gauges in odd location in the car. If you don't mind losing all the stamped details of the triple gauge(904 style) the 924 combo gauge has 4 windows, and Palo Alto should be able to use it and be very crafty, build you a quad gauge.

But then again, I would goto SpeedHut, and get all the gauges done, modern internals, shorter mounting depths, nicer harness, and all matched faces than $700, and you get nice things like a GPS speedo, ability to make them just the way you want. But thats just me, I see know reason to use stock gauges

And I happen to know a lot about how to do fun stuff with stock gauges!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(earossi @ Feb 14 2015, 11:52 PM) *

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that the company was sold about a year ago. i first contacted them in the Fall of last year (Oct or Nov), and spoke with a guy who was very knowledgeable. At that time, he quoted about 4 weeks for a job the size of mine. And, he provided approximate pricing.

When I called back in early January to confirm things, I was told that my contact had just left the company and that they were now backlogged about 4 months. Since that won't work for me, I moved on to Palo Alto. But, to me, it sounds like they are going through some sort of shake up resulting in loss of personnel.

Just my 2 cents.

Hmm... Well like I said, I just had a one week turn-around for a speedo and tach from an 87 Carrera for my 3.2 914...
mepstein
I'm keeping mine pretty simple. Stock 150 mph speedo. Stock tach from a 3.2 911. Stock 911 oil pressure/temp gauge modified to a triple gauge to include fuel. I will have the mod done by Timothy once I get a triple gauge face plate.

If you want a bunch of gauges in your 6, maybe place the extra gauges in a removable box with snap together connecters. Have it while your doing your shake down runs and remove it once you have a comfort level with the car. It could all be built into a center console deposit box.
Hank914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 15 2015, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(earossi @ Feb 14 2015, 11:52 PM) *

Just my 2 cents.

Hmm... Well like I said, I just had a one week turn-around for a speedo and tach from an 87 Carrera for my 3.2 914...

I used PA Speedo (walking distance to me), and was quite satisfied.

But they have called my cell phone twice since I picked it up (about six months ago) to inform me that my speedo was ready to be picked up. I think their admin assistant has mixed up various customer's contact info, and yes I did inform them of their mistake so that they could call he correct customer to get the message to them.

And I used the opportunity to inform them that when I got the speedo back the calibration was way off. They said no problem, just let them know how off it was at 30mph and 60 mph, and they would calibrate it for me. Once I get new tires, I will do just that. I'm a happy customer, but I almost went the DIY route on speedo repair, as this internet thingy (both here and Pelican) does provide pretty clear instructions.
Cairo94507
So, I know what I think I want but this is one of those things where I believe it never hurts to ask questions first so I don't have one of those "I could've had a V-8" moments later.

Case on point, "914forme" brought up Speedhut for gauges. That is intriguing as it could give me new electronics possibly. I have contacted them and am awaiting their reply to see if they can take my gauges and install all new electronics in them or if they actually have a gauge that replicates the stock gauges from our cars. Granted that may be a reach.

In evaluating the gauges I want, I agree it is oil pressure, oil temperature, volts, tach with 3.2 redline, speedo and fuel. So given that, it would appear I could do a triple gauge with gas, volts and temperature and then add the oil pressure into the tach (hopefully). I would then not need any additional gauges.

I really do want to change the speedometer to have a new odometer that will not roll back to zero when the car hits 100K as my car is only 10K away from that give or take. Not sure how others feel about that but my mileage is documented and I want it to remain accurate. The new odometer, if that is possible, would be set to my existing mileage.

Thanks for your patience and assistance. I always respect (intelligent w00t.gif ) opinions and appreciate your experience.
Cairo94507
OK- Heard back from Speedhut and they do not offer anything close enough to our gauges to make it viable. They also will not work on gauges supplied by the customer. So Palo Alto Speedo it is. I am OK with that and glad I looked at other options to make sure I wasn't missing something.
mepstein
Too much?
Cairo94507
Hmmmm that seems just about right.
zambezi
You should consider a quad guage and not have to modify your tach.
Click to view attachment
TargaToy
QUOTE(zambezi @ Feb 16 2015, 10:09 PM) *

Oooooooh... I like that!
LukeD
QUOTE(zambezi @ Feb 16 2015, 08:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Where can one acquire this quad gauge?
Cairo94507
Been a while but I switched to a later electric speedo to add the additional digit on the odometer, Kept my Six tach and had it converted to the redline for the 3.2 and I added an oil pressure gauge in the bottom, like the turbo gauges. I then went with a triple combo gauge that has oil temp, oil pressure, and fuel. Palo Alto Speedo is doing them and I can't wait to see them. All silver dot gauges of course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.