Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires tires tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
On the narrow body 70 I ran Kuhmo V710 then last season went to BF Goodrich Rivals. This year I will be running the new (to me) flared car. It currently has old old old BFG comp TAs on it. It is running 225/50/16 in the rear and 205/55/16 in the front.

I need tires. I was thinking of just going with the Rivals for this AX season until I learn more about the car. I can find the 225/50/16 but nothing in the 205/55/16 or 205/50/16.

I did find the Toyo Proxes R888 in both the 222/50/16 & 205/55/16. My only reason for staying with these size tires right now is that's what is on it now.

Any words of wisdom? This will not be a street car, but it is setup to be driven on the street.
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 14 2015, 06:02 PM) *

On the narrow body 70 I ran Kuhmo V710 then last season went to BF Goodrich Rivals. This year I will be running the new (to me) flared car. It currently has old old old BFG comp TAs on it. It is running 225/50/16 in the rear and 205/55/16 in the front.

I need tires. I was thinking of just going with the Rivals for this AX season until I learn more about the car. I can find the 225/50/16 but nothing in the 205/55/16 or 205/50/16.

I did find the Toyo Proxes R888 in both the 222/50/16 & 205/55/16. My only reason for staying with these size tires right now is that's what is on it now.

Any words of wisdom? This will not be a street car, but it is setup to be driven on the street.

What kind of events will you be running?

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 14 2015, 11:12 PM) *

Mainly just Autocross with a track day thrown in every now & then. But the main focus will be autocross.

Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 15 2015, 04:07 AM) *

If your going to Autox the car think about getting some 8" cookie cutters in 15". There are still some good tires available in 15", it'll just depend which class you are trying to run and which compounds are allowed. Softer of course is better, but don't use your softer tires on the track as they won't last.

Have you lowered the car and corner balanced?

Mainly just Autocross with a track day thrown in every now & then. But the main focus will be autocross.

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 15 2015, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 15 2015, 04:07 AM) *

If you are going to Autox the car think about getting some 8" cookie cutters in 15". There are still some good tires available in 15", it'll just depend which class you are trying to run and which compounds are allowed. Softer of course is better, but don't use your softer tires on the track as they won't last.

brant
cookie cutters were never made in an 8inch size

6's and 7's only.
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 15 2015, 09:43 AM) *

cookie cutters were never made in an 8inch size

6's and 7's only.

I forgot. That's why I built Gotti 8" rims for the front of my car.

In any event there are 8" rims out there and some are light and reasonable.

http://www.realwheel.net/index.php
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 15 2015, 10:49 AM) *

If you are going to Autox the car think about getting some 8" cookie cutters in 15". There are still some good tires available in 15", it'll just depend which class you are trying to run and which compounds are allowed. Softer of course is better, but don't use your softer tires on the track as they won't last.

Yes It is lowered & corner balanced. Not the best picture.

ge9146
Hey Garold,

Nice looking car! Take a look at the Toyo RA1. I have run them at full tread depth on the 911 and they are really pretty impressive in an autox. Obviously not a Hoosier but you can drive on them to an event. At full tread depth they even work OK in the rain. They are available in 225/50x16 and 245/45x16 which should fit on 7" and 8" rims too.

Ed Scott
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 15 2015, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 15 2015, 10:49 AM) *

Yes It is lowered & corner balanced. Not the best picture.

Nice looking car. Don't show it to Chris as he'd ask you why your ride height is so high. biggrin.gif

With those flares you could run slicks, but of course once you go there you'll never want to go back!

You could run 8" bias plys on the front and 9 or maybe 10"ers on the back, if they will fit in the flares.

Some perfect tires for your car here:

Click to view attachment

And if you believe the BS about Hoosiers being better check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjzx1AZRFHY

And A92 is the right compound for AutoX or Hillclimbs.

And when picking tire sizes there are other distinct advantages you might want to consider.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 16 2015, 10:35 AM) *

Nice looking car. Don't show it to Chris as he'd ask you why your ride height is so high. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I do have a set of CCW wheels for sale: 8 1/2" & 9 1/2" x 17".
Nearly new Pilot Sport 2 tires mounted.
Not R compound though - 220 treadwear rating
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 16 2015, 09:35 AM) *

With those flares you could run slicks, but of course once you go there you'll never want to go back!

You could run 8" bias plys on the front and 9 or maybe 10"ers on the back, if they will fit in the flares.

Click to view attachment

And when picking tire sizes there are other distinct advantages you might want to consider.

Thanks for the info. For now I am just going to keep with the 16" rims until I get some seat time under my belt with this car. I have only driven it around the block a few times before we got hit with snow in Dec.
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 16 2015, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 16 2015, 09:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the info. For now I am just going to keep with the 16" rims until I get some seat time under my belt with this car. I have only driven it around the block a few times before we got hit with snow in Dec.

FYI Bontempi gave me the best advice when I got my car, which was somewhat already modified. He said, "Don't do anything to the car, just drive it for a year." He was right of course and during that time I went to autox schools and did the PCA track courses. All great stuff and you'll learn a ton about driving.
GaroldShaffer
[quote name='Randal' date='Feb 16 2015, 05:00 PM' post='2147547']
Click to view attachment

[/quote]

FYI Bontempi gave me the best advice when I got my car, which was somewhat already modified. He said, "Don't do anything to the car, just drive it for a year." He was right of course and during that time I went to autox schools and did the PCA track courses. All great stuff and you'll learn a ton about driving.
[/quote]

Yep, I have been Axing my 70 in SCCA for over 10yrs. This will be the first season in a new ride.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.