ThePaintedMan's Chumpster
EdwardBlume
Flanagan's Creamsicle
EdwardBlume
Toolguy's 1970 914/6
EdwardBlume
Ury's Racecar
dudzy's914
It says I already voted, but I didnt? My vote is Toolguyes '70 914-6. Love it's, it is so clean first.gif
AvalonFal
Gotta be that yellow '73. Gorgeous.
Mr.242
Yes!!!!!! Finally a nominated SILVER car = 'red headed step child'.

No bias here. sunglasses.gif
EdwardBlume
icon_bump.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 15 2015, 04:51 AM) *

Lennyhop's 73

Nice rack baby! drooley.gif
KELTY360
It would sure be nice to get some details on the cars before I vote. C'mon nominees...tell us the story.
pilothyer
I may be just another beholder who's eyes have been hypnotized by the beautiful 914, but I always find that choosing only one of the many, is like choosing a wife. How do you decide when they are all so very wonderful. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Love/hate think... This is always sooo hard to decide. Love all of em. Pick Ury's light weight racer this time. beerchug.gif

Post some more photos guy!

rolleyes.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
EdwardBlume
icon_bump.gif

Final bump, narrative or no narrative. More picts or not.

KELTY360
Lennyhop's car is the one! I don't usually care for side stripes but in this case it looks perfect.

BTW, I had to go to page 3 to find this thread. What's up with that?
URY914
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 15 2015, 04:55 AM) *

Ury's Racecar

I bought the car before many of you were born in 1979 when I was 20. I traded by '70 VW Bug and $2500 in cash. I drove it all through college and converted it to full time track/ax car in about 1991. I carried me to 4 Florida State Autocross Championships and several class wins at the PCA Club races at Sebring.

Here it is with some guy named T.C. Davis driving it.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Here it is in 1979.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Way to go Paul! Always liked the car. Like it more now!
ThePaintedMan
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

No way I should even be here but figured I'd share the story anyhow.

I grew up watching 914s vintage racing at Sebring, usually on Sunday after the 12 hours was over. My dad told me a little about their lineage and history but being a kid, I was more interested in them because they just looked "cool" to me.

As I grew up I was always confused why my dad was always tinkering with aircooled motors and eventually I started helping pull them in and out of his Westfalias... more times than I could count. As I went from being frustrated with them I began to fall in love with their simplicity and the engineering that went into them. At one point in high school I even had the chance to buy a 914, thinking it would be a cool father/son project. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I ran out of time before college started and eventually the hopes of finding one soon faded.

...until one day in grad school I happened to find a car on Craigslist that looked used and abused. But the price was right and the car even ran...sorta. I convinced my girlfriend to help me tow the car home a few blocks away. (I don't mind saying that her willingness to put up with my stupid car hobby is one of the many reasons she's now my wife.)

Click to view attachment

The car was rough. Really rough. There was almost as much sheet metal missing from the car as there was still left on it.

Click to view attachment

ThePaintedMan
But the good news was there wasn't really any way to screw it up worse than it was. And then I remembered seeing them race as a kid. If there was any way I could put it back together, with the help of a friend, maybe there was a series out there where a couple of poor young guys could go racing. And then we found Chumpcar. headbang.gif

Getting the car back together was one thing. But preparing it to actually go out on track was something totally different. But we kept at it. New sheet metal here, some parts there and a whole lot of help and encouragement from YOU GUYS, especially T.C, Paul, John, Shane, Joe, Chris, Eric, Chad, Kevin and many others kept me motivated.

Click to view attachment

As I made progress sometimes I'd have to put things on hold and drive it for awhile. I spent a whole summer driving it to and from work nearly 1.5 hours away when my other car was giving me problems. But the 914 never let me down.

Fast forward nearly three years later and I finally got to run a car that I built at Sebring with some of the best guys around - all members here on The World!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And the best part of all is that girl that helped me tow it home is now my wife and crew chief!

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Super cool! Love the 914 stories.
1stworks
Those are some nice 914's.

SirAndy
http://www.914world.com/

shades.gif
gasman
I sold my 76 about 5 years ago (went back to the fatherland) and needed a new project. I saw this car on the Jeff Blowsby LE website and brought it. Moved it from Kansas to North Carolina and started to work on it. The car was tired and had ugly body side molding. Stripped the car and had it painted and some rust at jack points repaired. I rebuilt the engine myself and cleaned every nut and bolt during assembly. Replaced some rubber, carpet, engine pad, put in a Blaupunk radio and electric antenna. She is a great car to drive. The wife and I have driven it to many places. And like all 914's, it right at home on the Tail Of The Dragon. Plan on going to the Parade this year. Car came in first at Savanah Parade and my favorite event "Octeenerfest" Was driving her yesterday, and it automatically puts that smile on your face.
Click to view attachment
gasman
PS . I guess what makes it "Rare" is that it has sail panels from the factory. There are two pictures on Jeff Blowsby's website that show a Creamsicle with sail panels. I guess one of these might be my car from years ago.......
EdwardBlume
first.gif New COTM.... nice. Thanks Andy!
wndsnd
Good choice. A Miata driver and his other car!

Actually George, very nice what you have accomplished with your 914.

She looks great.
infraredcalvin
I voted for the chump, nice resurrection of a car bound for the crusher!
AndyB
I had to go with the 70/6 there is some thing more appealing about a road car then a track car or a car that is not able to be driven legally on the road. But that chump car almost got me, almost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.