Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
A am a newbie and need some help

I want to install electronic points is this possible on a distributor with vacuum advance and retard? If its possible please give some recommendations
The PO has plugged the advance line any ideas why he did this?
The car is a 2.0 1976 GC smog motor with smog removed, there is no tap off on the throttle body for the advance so I guess the retard is only used when decelerating, is this correct?

Distributor type: 039905205A

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
There is a Pertronix unit whose part number ends in "V" that fits with the vacuum-advance points plate. If you get the one without the "V" you will need to do some grinding or filing to make the unit fit correctly. (Either to the magnet ring or to the bottom of the distributor's rotor.)

It is recommended to keep a backup set of points and a condensor in your tool kit or in the glovebox just in case the Pertronix fails. Because when they do fail, it is often at the worst possible time.

Unplug the advance line; having it plugged like that may keep the vacuum retard from working correctly. If there is no advance fitting on the throttle body, there is no advance and that line should be run down under the manifold and left open to the air. (Or just omitted entirely, but smog-test people really hate disconnected hose fittings.) That's what the factory did.

The vacuum retard is used at idle and during decel--pretty much any time the vacuum in the manifold is high.

--DD
Drums66
....I 2nd the "Pertronix", & there is a rubber slip nipple you can purchase,to block
off the advance port!(they might even give it to you) shades.gif
bye1.gif thumb3d.gif
Spoke
I've had Pertronix in both of my FI 914s; a 2L and 1.7L. After messing with the points on the 2L I installed the Pertronix and never looked back. I do have a spare set of points and condenser in the trunk...
76-914
I've got a spare Pertronix in the trunk. biggrin.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 15 2015, 05:47 PM) *

I've got a spare Pertronix in the trunk. biggrin.gif

........I kind of like that idea!.... idea.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.