Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help. To rebuild or sell ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914GTSTI
About 15 years ago I had a 901 Dyno test lab for making and testing my Offshore motors. Our motors were Big and Small block Chevys carbed and EFI . I never had much luck renting time to others. May have been that the builders felt I would give away the secrets and ideas ?

We built an new building. And I didn't rebuild the lab. The dyno went into storage.

Last month I was asked if the Dyno was for sale. I said yes . I set things up to be tested ( more a electrical test/show) no water pumps. I had a bad hard drive in the 486 SX PC. Its a DOS system, so I also had to relearn DOS.(went to the Goodwill and found a DOS for Dummies book, LOL ) :oops: Another thing is the world did not come to a end when I reset the clock to 2015 !

I got things running and I think the two partners were a little overwhelmed ? Maybe its the DOS ? One is a Engineer and the other is a car/racer. They are looking for every last HP/TQ in the class they race. So this is the right equipment for that. I think its the infrastructure that is making them uneasy.They have been using a roller Dyno and are not getting the info they want. I think it does not repeat test as well as they want.

This got me think. (that is a bad thing). What if I put the Lab back together ? I have a 20x30 slab , the 3 phase power is about 80' away and the water is their. All I need is a building.

I was thinking about a 20' shipping container. Cut some doors , build a control room. Puff and test Lab.( ok their is a little more to it than that) But you get the idea.( anybody want to by a Dyno business ?)

The idea of using the shipping container is that it could be sold in the future as almost ready to run system. Could be loaded on to a haller and moved anywhere .

Here is the question, is their a need for this kind of testing? I have some motors to test and I think the people looking at it would like to use it. But would others ? I had a great time learning how to use it and wright programs for testing. It is such a cool piece of test equipment .

My son is running the business now so I'm kind of retired. OK ,I have some projects to finish, Lowcost 15R1, 914GT , Forester Rally car, a boat or two ? Being retired is a lot more work than working.

I'm not trying to start another business or make a bunch of money.If it could pay its own way would be good. I just feel the system is more valuable up and running than just a bunch of parts that were a system. And it would be fun to see what has changed in the motor world.

I would like your input. Build or just sell the parts.
Randy
mepstein
Team up with someone who can learn to run it and eventually buy it from you.
screenguy914
.....or

Find a buyer and offer to stay on as a paid tech/training consultant until he can take over. That way, he provides some commitment (e.g. leasing/buying space, related tools, equipment, setup, etc.). You can provide your dyno equipment/setup as a separate purchase, lease to own, etc. Research new vs used equivalent dyno costs for comparison. Is DOS going to suffice from now on? Include redundant/backup vintage computers.

S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.