Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-chroming Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehokana
I've been dragging my feet on getting the bumpers for my '73 re-chromed, but the paint and body work is almost done so I need to get on it. Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in SoCal? I know it's getting harder to find anyone in Cali to do this work anymore because of environmental laws, but I figured someone on here may have a lead. Realistically, I would like the tit holes sealed prior to re-chroming, and only the front bumper is in need of plating.

Also, my other option seems to be stainless steel bumpers to replace my current ones- does anyone have experience with them? How is the fit? Any issues other than the cost? Ect.

Thanks in advance, guys
pete000
If they do not need much refinishing prep. Verns is a good chrome shop.

ConeDodger
Original Customs uses a shop in Utah. I think they have free shipping. Call Mark at the OC...
andys
Astro Plating in Van Nuys. Reasonable pricing, knows 914 bumpers, and I believe a few here have used them including myself. Hmm, wonder if there's a connection between their zip code and plating Porsche bumpers?

Astro Plating
15236 Erwin St.
Van Nuys, CA 91411
(818) 781-1463
sled9146
Pacific Plating in San Diego/Tijuana. Retail shop in San Diego near Rosecrans
ehokana
Thanks guys! I've heard of Pacific Plating before so I may check them out if I plan a trip south soon.

Andys- thanks for that recommendation. Van Nuys is nice and close for me so I'll give them a call this week. It's always a plus to have someone who has done 914 bumpers before
R8CERX
QUOTE(ehokana @ Feb 17 2015, 01:48 PM) *

Thanks guys! I've heard of Pacific Plating before so I may check them out if I plan a trip south soon.

Andys- thanks for that recommendation. Van Nuys is nice and close for me so I'll give them a call this week. It's always a plus to have someone who has done 914 bumpers before

Once you get some quotes could you advise or PM me?

I am interested in re-chroming as well--specially rear bumper.

Post before and after pictures!

I will await for your experience and follow your lead once you get yours done

txs

R8CERX
john77
I saw this recommendation on a thread somewhere on here not too long ago - I saved it because this is on my to-do list too.

http://thebumpershop.com/
pete000
Please post your experience and if possible cost and turn around time, I have a few bumpers in the wings needing chroming.

Thanks!
913B
popcorn[1].gif
andys
Many platers in SoCal send the bumpers to Mexico for chrome plating. Though I haven't had direct experience, I've read on other forums of various problems from poor quality to long lead times and lost bumpers. I will tell you that Astro Plating does their own in-house chrome plating; that in itself is no guarantee of quality, but I'm pleased with the results. Oh, and they also did some straightening and ding removal on mine as well.

Andys
ehokana
Thanks for that tip- I'd really prefer somewhere that does it in-house. I'll be sure to take pics and post once I get the bumper back
Cuda911
Where in So Cal are you?

If in San Diego area, you might want to check out West Coast Plating. They are a mile or two from my house. I met with them recently, and they seem to do excellent work at their shop here in Oceanside. I didn't get any work done there yet, but the staff was great, and they have an excellent portfolio.

Contact info:

West Coast Plating
Tel.: (760) 940-8777
Address: 2613 Temple Heights Dr, Oceanside, CA 92056

http://www.westcoastplating.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.