Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
a9146luvr
When does it become unrealistic (not just cost effective) to save a 914? I have one that has rust thru in both outer clamshells at the bottom of the doorjambs (jack posts are bad, inner clamshells seem ok). The engine shelf (batt side) is gone as is the area under the battery, to where the fuel lines perforate the tin, and under the battery tray is flakeing real bad although suspension appears not to be drooping, yet! I'm looking at $1200 in repair panels alone, right? Then gotta add fitting, welding, finishing, eng/tranny rebuild etc! HELP. Thanx guys.
vortrex
sounds way too unrealistic (not just cost effective). why would you be interested in this car when in TX there must be a multitude of good 914's?
a9146luvr
If there are alot of 914's in central texas, i have not seen them, and my wife says 914's are like boobs i can see 'em (over) a mile away, bouncing or not!
vortrex
I am of the belief that if need be it is worth traveling for the right car or shipping one in. all depends what you want to do though. if you want to play with your welder try and patch together a ruster. if you want to drive one start with something that's not a total mess. there will be plenty of other things besides rust repair to keep you busy.
balthazar
There is a good roller here in the local area for $250

I also know of another car in the area for $1000 that runs and drives

They both need lots of work, but my point is both of those cars are less than the $1200 for rust repair panels you quoted. And they are relatively rust free...They are out there, jus gotta look harder!
riverman
It's not the car, it's you. How much do you want to do? How much do you want to learn? I'm of the opinion that every 914 is worth saving.
dakotaewing
As others have said it is up to you, how much time and money do you want to spend... If the car is not an original six, or a rare 4, I would seriously consider getting another roller-

But, that is just my opinion...

Thom

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 7 2005, 07:39 PM)
It's not the car, it's you. How much do you want to do? How much do you want to learn? I'm of the opinion that every 914 is worth saving.

riverman's got a point.......how much work are you willing to put into it, and what skills and tools do you already possess?

Project cars can be fun [not]. headbang.gif

But if you'd rather be driving...look into a good roller.
Brent
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 7 2005, 07:39 PM)
I'm of the opinion that every 914 is worth saving.

beerchug.gif

I second that opinion. Thats what sets the 914 apart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.